Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

Word around the campfire is that Blue, while a tremendous prospect, is kind of a little prick.  I like that.  A little Devendorf type edge to him.

The chances of JB and crew plucking this kid out of Tennessee, however, are slim to zilch.  I hope I’m wrong though, and would love this kid in Orange.  Can’t hurt to offer him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Word around the campfire is that Blue, while a tremendous prospect, is kind of a little prick.  I like that.  A little Devendorf type edge to him.

The chances of JB and crew plucking this kid out of Tennessee, however, are slim to zilch.  I hope I’m wrong though, and would love this kid in Orange.  Can’t hurt to offer him.

He definitely looks like he has an edge to him hahaha but I loved devendorf hahaha 

Man so you think he's a tenn lock? Hasn't even received an offer from them yet

He seems like the kind of guard that fits SU

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He definitely looks like he has an edge to him hahaha but I loved devendorf hahaha 

Man so you think he's a tenn lock? Hasn't even received an offer from them yet

He seems like the kind of guard that fits SU

I don’t think he’s a Tennessee lock.  I think he’s gotten enough National attention, even prior to his sophomore season, that he’ll get offers from a lot of the big schools down south and elsewhere.  Expect Duke, Kentucky, Florida State, Kansas and a bunch of other programs to offer him within the next 6-12 months.

Unless there’s something I don’t know about, I’d just be surprised if Cuse were able to land this kid.  Again...hope I’m wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t think he’s a Tennessee lock.  I think he’s gotten enough National attention, even prior to his sophomore season, that he’ll get offers from a lot of the big schools down south and elsewhere.  Expect Duke, Kentucky, Florida State, Kansas and a bunch of other programs to offer him within the next 6-12 months.

Unless there’s something I don’t know about, I’d just be surprised if Cuse were able to land this kid.  Again...hope I’m wrong.

So you think he will end up a five star? He definitely looks super talented

Isn't it amazing how Devo has transformed his image?  I'd say he did a 180 transformation, but he kept going for several more 180's.  Coat drives, youth bb instructions, big player in CNY barstool fund...he's really turned it around big time

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Isn't it amazing how Devo has transformed his image?  I'd say he did a 180 transformation, but he kept going for several more 180's.  Coat drives, youth bb instructions, big player in CNY barstool fund...he's really turned it around big time

Devo is the kind of guy everybody wants on their team, but everybody hates playing against

I don't think he was ever a bad person, he's just really intense on the court, and rubs some players the wrong way 

But most players leave boeheim a much better man than they came

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Devo is the kind of guy everybody wants on their team, but everybody hates playing against

I don't think he was ever a bad person, he's just really intense on the court, and rubs some players the wrong way 

But most players leave boeheim a much better man than they came

Well, there was the girl he “allegedly” punched during his sophomore season, but yeah, squeaky clean other than that.

We need another player like Devo, IMO.  Someone to give the team some life, talk a little *****, make things a little tense.  I love me some Devendorf.

• Like (+1) 1

This was the first game of the season I was gonna watch. I kinda moved stuff in my schedule around just to watch it. I kept flipping through channels when they started playing some documentary instead.

Oh well. This doesn't look like our year, anyway. I know if Boeheim got the team in the tournament we could make some noise... but it looks like even that won't happen.

Weird year. I usually find my comfort in Syracuse Basketball after Bills seasons. Times they are a changin...

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This was the first game of the season I was gonna watch. I kinda moved stuff in my schedule around just to watch it. I kept flipping through channels when they started playing some documentary instead.

Oh well. This doesn't look like our year, anyway. I know if Boeheim got the team in the tournament we could make some noise... but it looks like even that won't happen.

Weird year. I usually find my comfort in Syracuse Basketball after Bills seasons. Times they are a changin...

We still have a decent chance.  Don’t give up now.   I think a lot of “experts” have us first four out right now.  A lot can be done to improve that.  We shall see...ND on Saturday is a good test.

What a great victory! Buddy really saved the day. The press was terrific. And I really loved Braswell‘s minutes and Marek being the go-to guy down the stretch. 

That said, can I complain a little Bit about that first half?

1) Griffin pretty much epitomizes this Syracuse team. He does some things really well and some things horribly. When he is on, he is on. When he hustles on D, he can make LebRon like blocks. But then he is horrible at times on defense, takes a lot of terrible shots, never passes, and has stretches of just lazy play. You could just feel the team play with so much more energy when he is not out there.

2) this team cannot or does not want to pass. In the first half, what’s the point of running those pick and rolls if you don’t pass to the open roll guy? They just double the ball ball handler.

then it’s Dribble, dribble, Dribble, tough shot. The offense thankfully ran smoother with Kadary out there in the second half, as his driving can at least open things up.

3) I have no idea what defense they play. Everyone at every position was wide open for ND. 3’s, high post, low post. ND could have whatever it wanted. I actually am not sure the defense improved much in the second half except they pressed a lot more, which caused ND to Play faster, and they generated a lot of nice turnovers. And not having Griffen out there probably helped.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

What a great victory! Buddy really saved the day. The press was terrific. And I really loved Braswell‘s minutes and Marek being the go-to guy down the stretch. 

That said, can I complain a little Bit about that first half?

1) Griffin pretty much epitomizes this Syracuse team. He does some things really well and some things horribly. When he is on, he is on. When he hustles on D, he can make LebRon like blocks. But then he is horrible at times on defense, takes a lot of terrible shots, never passes, and has stretches of just lazy play. You could just feel the team play with so much more energy when he is not out there.

2) this team cannot or does not want to pass. In the first half, what’s the point of running those pick and rolls if you don’t pass to the open roll guy? They just double the ball ball handler.

then it’s Dribble, dribble, Dribble, tough shot. The offense thankfully ran smoother with Kadary out there in the second half, as his driving can at least open things up.

3) I have no idea what defense they play. Everyone at every position was wide open for ND. 3’s, high post, low post. ND could have whatever it wanted. I actually am not sure the defense improved much in the second half except they pressed a lot more, which caused ND to Play faster, and they generated a lot of nice turnovers. And not having Griffen out there probably helped.

They play Jim boeheim's patented 2-3 zone. 

And Notre Dame has seen it dozens and dozens of times so they're well coached for it. They know how to beat it which is with good Crisp passing 

The thing with boeheim , is that he is the architect and master of this defense.. the little tweaks that most people can't see really change the game

Yes playing his patented press sped the game up and help immensely.. but so did how far out boeheim stretched his zone 

if you rewatch the second half Notre Dame's three-point shooters were two or three feet behind NBA 3-point line.. that is super deep range and most college players can't hit that consistently

In the first half they were all stepping into it at the college line.. the way he stretched Notre Dame behind the NBA line was huge