Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Is it surprising? Think about it honestly

Jim played waiters off the bench for triche..  mcw off the bench for scoop jardine 

Cj fair off the bench for kris Joseph

Jerami grant off the bench etc 

He likes getting fresh energy, with good players off the bench.. he's always subbed in a star

TBH, I don’t think JB or the ‘Cuse program has the “clout” that it once had to convince a young star like KR to come off the bench like that when they are CLEARLY the better player.  Especially given the new transfer rules.  You’re seeing clear evidence of that right now.

Guys like Richmond and Braswell want to start or get significant minutes.  Now they gone 🤷🏻‍♂️

Possible ray of sunshine?

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

TBH, I don’t think JB or the ‘Cuse program has the “clout” that it once had to convince a young star like KR to come off the bench like that when they are CLEARLY the better player.  Especially given the new transfer rules.  You’re seeing clear evidence of that right now.

Guys like Richmond and Braswell want to start or get significant minutes.  Now they gone 🤷🏻‍♂️

I hear ya 

Tough day 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agreed. There are some players that you need to accommodate at least a little given the state of the program and the state of the transfer rules. 

by the way, this is me talking as the old rec league player that I am, but I would be transferring too if I were KR and Braswell. When I play, I want to start, play the whole game, and score as many points as I can! 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Is Symir a ray of sunshine? He's been terrible his two years in college so far; there's a reason we're talking about beating the likes of Albany for him while our beloved Kadary is contemplating a bunch of good offers.

I also think think things have changed since the Dion/MCW years.

For starters, MCW was the unquestioned starter and star of the team his second year so that already is different from Boeheim potentially bringing Kadary off the bench as a sophomore. Dion came off the bench behind two good starters on an absolutely stacked Syracuse team. Kadary would be coming off the bench behind a bad starter on a top 30ish team.

But also, with the free transfer rule, I'm not sure we would have even gotten a second year out of Dion and MCW if they were here today.

Edited by DCOrange

57 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Is Symir a ray of sunshine? He's been terrible his two years in college so far; there's a reason we're talking about beating the likes of Albany for him while our beloved Kadary is contemplating a bunch of good offers.

I also think think things have changed since the Dion/MCW years.

For starters, MCW was the unquestioned starter and star of the team his second year so that already is different from Boeheim potentially bringing Kadary off the bench as a sophomore. Dion came off the bench behind two good starters on an absolutely stacked Syracuse team. Kadary would be coming off the bench behind a bad starter on a top 30ish team.

But also, with the free transfer rule, I'm not sure we would have even gotten a second year out of Dion and MCW if they were here today.

Relative to today’s vibes, yes 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It looks like even if a player enters the transfer portal, he can come back to his old team, assuming there is a scholarship and mutual interest.

You wonder how many of these guys are entering the portal 100% with their mind made up to leave, or whether they are just testing the waters but leaving the door open in case they don’t find a better fit? 

This is wishful thinking, but I can see a guy like a Braswell realizing he is better off staying and coming back to Syracuse. I am not sure he is going to get a lot of better opportunities. 

Edit: Also, I am reading that so far, the teams that have reached out to Kadary are pretty meh. Iowa State, West Virginia, Seton Hall, UConn, Creighton, Maryland and George Washington. Not sure I am seeing the appeal of a transfer to those other schools, unless he just really hates it at Syracuse. 

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate

20 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Sounds like Frank Anselem will likely be transferring as well. I think Jim undershot his 4-6 players forecast. At this point it sounds like:

• Kadary
  • Guerrier
  • Dolezaj
  • Braswell
  • Jon Bol Ajak
  • Anselem
  • Woody
  • Griffin
  • Sidibe

all could likely be gone.

Who?

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It looks like even if a player enters the transfer portal, he can come back to his old team, assuming there is a scholarship and mutual interest.

You wonder how many of these guys are entering the portal 100% with their mind made up to leave, or whether they are just testing the waters but leaving the door open in case they don’t find a better fit? 

This is wishful thinking, but I can see a guy like a Braswell realizing he is better off staying and coming back to Syracuse. I am not sure he is going to get a lot of better opportunities. 

Edit: Also, I am reading that so far, the teams that have reached out to Kadary are pretty meh. Iowa State, West Virginia, Seton Hall, UConn, Creighton, Maryland and George Washington. Not sure I am seeing the appeal of a transfer to those other schools, unless he just really hates it at Syracuse. 

West Virginia, UConn, Creighton, Maryland, and arguably Seton Hall would all likely be upgrades just talent wise, not to mention likely giving him the opportunity to start and be a key cog rather than sitting behind a worse player here. I would guess he ends up at UConn or Maryland when it's all said and done and they'll give him a good shot at going to the NBA next year.

Would be great if Braswell backed out and came back to Syracuse but that kind of situation is extremely rare if it's ever happened.

46 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Symir Torrence picks Cuse

Hopefully he proves his high school scouting report right. Needless to say he was a disappointment at Marquette but you never know what a change of scenery can do. Certainly our most athletic guard now. He's young for his class too so he might just not have been ready for college ball at the time. That's my optimistic take.

Edited by DCOrange

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Hopefully he proves his high school scouting report right. Needless to say he was a disappointment at Marquette but you never know what a change of scenery can do. He's young for his class too so he might just not have been ready for college ball at the time. That's my optimistic take.

He said he is friends with Buddy and Joe and grew up a Cuse fan and has great relationships with our staff. Said its nice to be somewhere he is wanted, which seems to give a clue as to why he is leaving Marquette

Edited by Bray Wyatt

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

West Virginia, UConn, Creighton, Maryland, and arguably Seton Hall would all likely be upgrades just talent wise, not to mention likely giving him the opportunity to start and be a key cog rather than sitting behind a worse player here. I would guess he ends up at UConn or Maryland when it's all said and done and they'll give him a good shot at going to the NBA next year.

Would be great if Braswell backed out and came back to Syracuse but that kind of situation is extremely rare if it's ever happened.

Man, that’s just a depressing outlook on the state of the Syracuse program. We have been on the bubble, but I worry we are about to enter the dark ages once JB retires.  

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Man, that’s just a depressing outlook on the state of the Syracuse program. We have been on the bubble, but I worry we are about to enter the dark ages once JB retires.  

I don't mean for that to come off as depressing. Those are all good schools. We certainly used to be ahead of them in the early 2000s-2010s, but we fell off when we joined the ACC (and received the sanctions) and have never fully recovered. We aren't a top 25 kind of program right now; more like a top 30-50.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I don't mean for that to come off as depressing. Those are all good schools. We certainly used to be ahead of them in the early 2000s-2010s, but we fell off when we joined the ACC (and received the sanctions) and have never fully recovered. We aren't a top 25 kind of program right now; more like a top 30-50.

2 final fours , 3 elite 8s and 5 sweet 16s in last 10 years 

And we're just bouncing back from sanctions 

Creighton, Maryland , seton hall, some of the schools mentioned , have nothing on that resume over the last 10 years

This isn't the SU program we're used to but it's still getting results in March

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

2 final fours , 3 elite 8s and 5 sweet 16s in last 10 years 

And we're just bouncing back from sanctions 

Creighton, Maryland , seton hall, some of the schools mentioned , have nothing on that resume over the last 10 years

This isn't the SU program we're used to but it's still getting results in March

Sure, we've had some fluky runs. That doesn't make us a top 25 program. The last time we were considered a top 25 team in the country was 2014; we used to be there nearly every single season from the 80s through 2014. Be it the sanctions, people just not wanting to deal with Jim anymore, or something else, the program has undeniably fallen off from where it used to be. Those schools are better than us more often than not now.

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Sure, we've had some fluky runs. That doesn't make us a top 25 program. The last time we were considered a top 25 team in the country was 2014; we used to be there nearly every single season from the 80s through 2014. Be it the sanctions, people just not wanting to deal with Jim anymore, or something else, the program has undeniably fallen off from where it used to be.

I understand that we haven't been ranked in the top 25 like we're used to 

But Jim is still putting players into the NBA and Gleague so we still have the talent to make deep runs. We just are inconsistent in the regular season for some reason now

Hopefully that changes

Edited by Buffalo716