How we can beat the Packers

GrizzReaper

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I've watched the all22 from the Packers loss at Washington. Summary of what I saw below:

Defense

- the front 4 is good and is active. They play the run on the way to the Quarterback and get penetration - if your back wants to dance in the backfield they will get there and shut you down;

- if you can control that front 4 you can run at will on them because the linebackers lack gap discipline and there are running lanes there;

- they use Clinton-Dix to match up with tight ends a lot;

- the seam is constantly open. It ends up being a single safety look a lot of the time and the safety back there really struggles in coverage and he (and both corners) get very grabby.

Offense

- The offensive line is pass protecting reasonably well - though when Jason Spriggs came in for Bulaga in the 2nd half there was a noticeable drop off;

- Their running game really hasn't got going at all - they want to run from shotgun but holes are not opening up and they are relying on their guys to get yards after contact (not unlike Buffalo);

- Rodgers is not only struggling with mobility but he is struggling to really plant that leg and drive the ball deep. I only counted 3 throws attempted over about 15 years and they were all floaty touch pass type of throws rather than balls that rely on velocity;

- the wide receivers are not making the tough catches, and with Rodgers forced to play more from the pocket they are not getting the separation from extended plays that is normally such a big part of their offense. 

Good summary. 

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Thank you for this.

Question, do you think Ivory is better suited to run behind the line we have? I think McCoy is a superior talent and A great pass catcher. Maybe use McCoy more as a third down back today? This also could help him with snap count as he recovers. 

I do, yes.  The key is that Ivory isn't running behind our line: he's plunging in and muscling his way to yards, just taking people with him or turning and pushing them back with his legs.  Shady did this on a couple of his more successful short runs against the Chargers, but that would be hell on his ribs.

As Gunner says, the Pack lack gap discipline with their LB.  So if our 5 can handle their 4, and Shady has good field vision, he might manage something against them.  I see the run game as our key to success.  The real question is the apparent confusion I've seen on the Bills OL about blocking assignments on run plays.  The one thing the Pack will do well is disguise coverages.  So if our OL can't pick that apart, Shady will get stuffed.

17 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

You beat me to it. A few 15 yard freebies would help LOL

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Just let Clay Matthews come in and tackke Josh Allen all game...the NFL has got it our for him so he will take like 5 or 6 roughing the passer penalties.

You guys need to think that through a bit more.  A 15 yd freebie ain't exactly free if Allen gets knocked out or hampered for it.  Y'all yearning to see Peterman under center?

On 9/28/2018 at 5:29 PM, billsredneck1 said:

mcd stands for mc defense...yo.

at least we now know he won't stand for any 1990 crap. he's willing to take charge.

not to mention, he went to the defensive players before the last game and asked them what would they suggest to make the pass rush better....

and he followed their advice.

Yeah. I didn't mean to knock Lorax. He's one of my favorite players. Just not sure he's got a ton left in the tank, but I know he's the kind of player who will use EVERYTHING he's got left.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. I didn't mean to knock Lorax. He's one of my favorite players. Just not sure he's got a ton left in the tank, but I know he's the kind of player who will use EVERYTHING he's got left.

i predicted before the season that we will end up with 3 double digit sack guys. hughes / murphy and lorax. trent will get better each week.

how do you defend 2 ends like that?...with both commanding double teams?  it is gonna be fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i predicted before the season that we will end up with 3 double digit sack guys. hughes / murphy and lorax. trent will get better each week.

how do you defend 2 ends like that?...with both commanding double teams?  it is gonna be fun to watch.

Maybe add Milano to that list.

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Thank you for this.

Question, do you think Ivory is better suited to run behind the line we have? I think McCoy is a superior talent and A great pass catcher. Maybe use McCoy more as a third down back today? This also could help him with snap count as he recovers. 

Ivory has reliable hands, as well. I wonder if we don't see them both on the field on some plays?

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

Maybe add Milano to that list.

yeah, i didn't take the time to mention milano, edmunds and eddie as contributors to our 40 something sack total.  i think we led the league in sacks under pettine.

when it's all said and done we should easily be in the top 5 in that cat.  toss in a couple from kyle and harry.....

54 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

You beat me to it. A few 15 yard freebies would help LOL

I know you guys are just kidding around, but Mathews is a really smart guy. His public confusion on the topic notwithstanding, I'm sure he has the tackling issues worked out. He's going to be our biggest concern on their D, IMO. AS Pettine favors an interior pass rush, he will be attacking whatever gap Miller gives him. Miller, Bodine, and Mills are going to need a good game today.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Did you see that GMFB interview with Lorax and Steve Smith?  It was hysterical.  Right from the start, asked his favorite position: "LB.....trying to chase down guys like Steve Smith (pointing)".  (It turns out Smith and Zo married women who were college roommates and their exchange about what that means when they get together is classic).  Anyway one of the more interesting segments is about 7 minutes in, after 'Zo talks about some of the stuff he does to "get right" and keep playing like Pilates (he's an instructor) and dry or deep acupuncture, when 'Zo is asked if that influences the younger guys:

Zo: "Not really, they still young and dumb"

Smith: "They don't have to because they're young.  They roll out of bed.  We roll out of bed, you go  uh, Nuh uh.  Uh, I need that dry needle today! "

but then talking about how one reason 'Zo has played that long is because he's comfortable in his skin saying "I don't know that, let me go find out" and talking to great players like London Fletcher and he (Smith) is taking notes going "OK flanking drive, Don't do THAT"

Great interview, it was posted here back when it came out but worth another listen.  Great camaraderie and exchanges, and very informative about why some players who start out evaluated as lower talent wind up outplaying their higher-roud peers:

pic.twitter.com/RCv7p5sxAy

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did you see that GMFB interview with Lorax and Steve Smith?  It was hysterical.  Right from the start, asked his favorite position: "LB.....trying to chase down guys like Steve Smith (pointing)".  (It turns out Smith and Zo married women who were college roommates and their exchange about what that means when they get together is classic).  Anyway one of the more interesting segments is about 7 minutes in, after 'Zo talks about some of the stuff he does to "get right" and keep playing like Pilates (he's an instructor) and dry or deep acupuncture, when 'Zo is asked if that influences the younger guys:

Zo: "Not really, they still young and dumb"

Smith: "They don't have to because they're young.  They roll out of bed.  We roll out of bed, you go "uh, Nuh uh.  Uh, I need that dry needle today! "

but then talking about how one reason 'Zo has played that long is because he's comfortable in his skin saying "I don't know that, let me go find out" and talking to great players like London Fletcher

Great interview, it was posted here back when it came out but worth another listen:

pic.twitter.com/RCv7p5sxAy

I saw that. I think Lorax has a career in television when he hangs em up. Very entertaining/thoughtful human being.

Just a great story all around of a guy playing his best football late in his career. I'm glad he's on our side!

• Like (+1) 2

I know everyone wants to see our new QB throw. Like having the keys to a brand new car, you want to drive, dammit.  But GB has the 27th ranked run defense. This is a game where we need to pound the rock.  Not saying we won't pass, but getting a good mixing of rushing downs in could really cripple this defense.  This is a perfect opponent to establish a run game and then go over the top with the pass.