Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer

YoloinOhio

Will have a very nice market. Has only lost 2 games and took them to the playoff last year. Negative recruiting tactics on the horizon though vs Swinney. Karma for the way he rolls it out.

Here’s your only backup QB tiger fans. Former walk-on, son of the strength coach. Better hope Lawrence stays healthy. 

I don’t really blame Swinney for starting the better QB. But it looks he botched the communication and competition.  They also lost Hunter Johnson, 5 star who transferred from Clemson to northwestern. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

It's crazy how many ignorant people on twitter are angry at Bryant for leaving.  He leaves now and he's able to save his year of eligibility, and will be able to go to another team where he can start and hopefully do enough to continue his career in football and become a pro.  People are mad that he's not a "team player" and not willing to tough it out with Clemson.  Um sorry but NCAA is the most selfish organization in sports, nobody should have a problem with anyone that decides to do the best thing that is for their hopefully future career.

Edited by Laughing Coffin
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Laughing Coffin said:

It's crazy how many ignorant people on twitter are angry at Bryant for leaving.  He leaves now and he's able to save his year of eligibility, and will be able to go to another team where he can start and hopefully do enough to continue his career in football and become a pro.  People are mad that he's not a "team player" and not willing to tough it out with Clemson.  Um sorry but NCAA is the most selfish organization in sports, nobody should have a problem with anyone that decides to do the best thing that is for their hopefully future career.

Yeah absolutely he should be able to continue to play football. I don’t fault Swinney on the decision - it takes balls to elevate the true freshman when the Senior has done so much. But he felt he was better so he did it and he did it soon enough that he can still play next year with the rules. But the way Bryant is talking, he feels it was handled poorly. He may just be bitter but that will trickle down to recruits.

On 9/26/2018 at 5:20 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah absolutely he should be able to continue to play football. I don’t fault Swinney on the decision - it takes balls to elevate the true freshman when the Senior has done so much. But he felt he was better so he did it and he did it soon enough that he can still play next year with the rules. But the way Bryant is talking, he feels it was handled poorly. He may just be bitter but that will trickle down to recruits.

On the flip side Dabo kind of hurt his team a little to free up Kelly.  He benched him which I'm sure hurts but he did it in a way that allows him to continue on and maintain some eligibility.  So long run he helped him out but I get Kelly being hurt by the decision.

8 minutes ago, section122 said:

On the flip side Dabo kind of hurt his team a little to free up Kelly.  He benched him which I'm sure hurts but he did it in a way that allows him to continue on and maintain some eligibility.  So long run he helped him out but I get Kelly being hurt by the decision.

Dabo really did right by the player in the long run with the eligibility thing. He could have played him in another game to lock him in for the season. But the player may recognize that and still feel bitterness. I see both sides. I think some recruits will like this decision and others won’t. 

20 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

How much QB depth does almost every pro team have?

18 NFL teams each season have at worst franchise QBs,

The NFL will lose maybe 1 or 2 in total to a long stretch of injury each year

college kids aren't even close to an NFL QB, it's cute and sweet for you to argue otherwise though  :D

39 minutes ago, row_33 said:

18 NFL teams each season have at worst franchise QBs,

The NFL will lose maybe 1 or 2 in total to a long stretch of injury each year

college kids aren't even close to an NFL QB, it's cute and sweet for you to argue otherwise though  :D

I am not making anything close to that argument. When did I imply that college qbs are "close" to NFL QBs? That isn't what the conversation is about.

My point is simple.....MOST NFL teams would also suffer in a huge way if their qb goes down. There are a couple of exceptions (the Eagles last season are one for sure). However, what happens when Rogers goes down? Or Brady, etc.

Clemson had a backup that took them to the playoffs. Now they do not. Imo, a majority of pro teams would be in the same situation. Do you disagree?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I'm sure they will roll out some prospect.

The only other QB they have is a former walk-on who is only there because he’s the son of one of the strength coaches. 

That’s just not normal in big time programs. There are always big time prospects either waiting their turn, or experienced backups playing our their eligibility. But Clemson has had so many kids transfer the last few years out of the qb room, they are left with nothing. Hopefully Lawrence stays healthy, it’s just brass balls from Dabo.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The only other QB they have is a former walk-on who is only there because he’s the son of one of the strength coaches. 

That’s just not normal in big time programs. There are always big time prospects either waiting their turn, or experienced backups playing our their eligibility. But Clemson has had so many kids transfer the last few years out of the qb room, they are left with nothing. Hopefully Lawrence stays healthy, it’s just brass balls from Dabo.

Chase Brice was a legitimate 3* recruit who had offers from BC and Cal

he may not be a typical Clemson QB but he isn’t a scrub. He was a top 20 pocket passer recruit coming out

if he had to play a game or 2 he could manage 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Chase Brice was a legitimate 3* recruit who had offers from BC and Cal

he may not be a typical Clemson QB but he isn’t a scrub. He was a top 20 pocket passer recruit coming out

if he had to play a game or 2 he could manage 

Good to know... just saying he’s not the type they typically play with and last time they played a backup for a half they lost to syracuse

it also depends on what game or two it is. Is it one of the marshmallows on the rest of their regular season schedule, or the ACC championship or a playoff game? This team is built to win a title if Lawrence stays upright. If not that’s in question. Other programs have legit backups with game experience ready to go is what I’m saying. Maybe they will let this kid play in mop up time now.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good to know... just saying he’s not the type they typically play with and last time they played a backup for a half they lost to syracuse

it also depends on what game or two it is. Is it one of the marshmallows on the rest of their regular season schedule, or the ACC championship or a playoff game? This team is built to win a title if Lawrence stays upright. If not that’s in question. Other programs have legit backups with game experience ready to go is what I’m saying. Maybe they will let this kid play in mop up time now.

Agree

he can beat a cupcake but not a Conference power or possible playoff game 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.