Bills Don't Regularly Sell Out...?

eiregi

LA Times

That the NFL would discuss playing a regular-season game in Mexico is no surprise, considering commissioner Paul Tagliabue's desire to make the sport even more international. That the Arizona Cardinals would be the host also is no shock, with the Cardinals routinely drawing small crowds in their current home on the Arizona State campus.

If such an experiment works, where else might Tagliabue propose in-season games? Toronto, which has the 53,000-seat Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome) is a potential choice because the Bills have a strong following in Ontario and they don't regularly sell out home contests. Vancouver might be another choice, but the Seahawks do draw well at home.

Writer obviously researched this one well :lol:

The story is the rambling musings of one ill informed journalist. Nothing but filler for a column. The Bills would never move a game to a stadium 90 minutes away with 22,000 less seats and a smaller payday.

Yet some will now use this to cry wolf and prove they're even more ignorant than this journalist.

The story is the rambling musings of one ill informed journalist. Nothing but filler for a column. The Bills would never move a game to a stadium 90 minutes away with 22,000 less seats and a smaller payday.

Yet some will now use this to cry wolf and prove they're even more ignorant than this journalist.

281185[/snapback]

You don't know it would be a smaller pay day because you don't know where ticket prices would be. The Bills could more than double the prices.

I agree that this is a bad idea. Pick a team that doen't draw well.

You don't know it would be a smaller pay day because you don't know where ticket prices would be.  The Bills could more than double the prices.

281193[/snapback]

The Bills take in big $$ on concessions,parking and premium seats, in addition to the standard priced seats in the stadium. How would Toronto make up that difference ? Plus the Canadian exchange. Limited parking around the Skydome... I've been there.

It's just a bad idea on several levels. Unless Toronto could give the Bills big $$ upfront to lure the game, I could never see that happening.

I can see Arizona, who usually draw 35K fans , going to Mexico and drawing at least double that.

281185[/snapback]

More likely that s/he looked at the geography of which NFL cities are closest to major markets in Can and Mex (which is the stupidest way to go about it), and then looked at the ticket sales, going back quite a ways sufficient to prove a point. Yeah, in post-JK until '01, ticket sales at times weren't gangbusters. But they've sold out the last few seasons.

Stupid trumping of a stupid storyline that gets reguritated every couple of years.

LA Times

That the NFL would discuss playing a regular-season game in Mexico is no surprise, considering commissioner Paul Tagliabue's desire to make the sport even more international. That the Arizona Cardinals would be the host also is no shock, with the Cardinals routinely drawing small crowds in their current home on the Arizona State campus.

If such an experiment works, where else might Tagliabue propose in-season games? Toronto, which has the 53,000-seat Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome) is a potential choice because the Bills have a strong following in Ontario and they don't regularly sell out home contests. Vancouver might be another choice, but the Seahawks do draw well at home.

Writer obviously researched this one well  :lol:

281184[/snapback]

OK, why doesn't that link work? I feel the need to email this clown. Who has a link to this story, so I can get this moron's email addy?

I checked the LA Times, but coudln't find the article.

Anyone, anyone?

OK, why doesn't that link work?  I feel the need to email this clown.  Who has a link to this story, so I can get this moron's email addy?

Anyone, anyone?

281246[/snapback]

I got a link to Microsoft homepage! Or as Charlie Brown would say: I got a rock.

OK, why doesn't that link work?  I feel the need to email this clown.  Who has a link to this story, so I can get this moron's email addy?

Anyone, anyone?

281246[/snapback]

Here's why the link won't work...because when eiregi posted it, he put http:// in there twice. So just delete the first http:// at the beginning of the URL. Once you get there however, you'll find that there's no author listed for the story...it's just an NFL Notebook. You can still send an email to the sports dept by clicking on Contact Us however. Good luck!

281185[/snapback]

Yeah, the stadium issue is a huge one. Toronto is not going to build a new NFL-sized stadium any time soon. There are a ton of reasons why the Bills aren't going to Toronto for a regular season game, re-location, whatever.

Nobody has ever accused the Raider-nation of being intelligent. The NFL has a hard-on about expanding out of the US. The problem the NFL is going to face is hockey will always be the number 1 sport in Canada. Look at the MLB disaster up there. I can't even recall the last time the skydome was sold out. And the NFL wants to expand down to Mexico, are you kidding me? Mexicans are crossing the border to work for $2 an hour in the United States. You think they can afford a $50 ticket to see a football game.

I guess if LA had a team then selling out 15 of the last 16 games and 21 of the last 24 with non-playoff teams qualifies as "Not regularly selling out". What a tool. Bills will never play a regular season game outside of Orchard Park. Anyone who even suggests otherwise is a giant moron.

the bills have sold out like twice as many games as the raiders in the past 5 years. How about the bills play a ROAD game in toronto against the HOME team raiders. I'm sure the LA times will have a lot more gibberish to print after that game.

Why don't they pick the 49ers to play a home game in a foreign country - someplace like say Los Angeles.

They could host the DullAss Cowgirls whom I've heard have quite a following in that part of the world ever since Effin Herera was thayir keekur.

(apologies to LABillsFan(s))

the bills have sold out like twice as many games as the raiders in the past 5 years.  How about the bills play a ROAD game in toronto against the HOME team raiders.  I'm sure the LA times will have a lot more gibberish to print after that game.

281323[/snapback]

augh! did anyone look at the article? it was an AP report that ran in multiple newspapers - it doesn't have anything to do with the LA Times.

Or at least blast the Montana Billings-Gazette too for printing the same story.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?i...l-cleveland.inc