Can you ruin a rookie QB?

Batman1876

Can you ruin a QB?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Can a QB be ruined?

• Yes
    • No

On 9/12/2018 at 7:20 PM, BuffaloButt said:

You've either got what it take to make it in the NFL or you don't.   It becomes pretty clear after 1 season of playing for most.

I agree with this. There's no time in the NFL now for redshirt seasons, with 4 year free agency (o.k., five with a first rounder expensive option year). Goff wasn't "ruined" by an awful year playing with an awful offense. On the other hand, look at the guys who recently immediately showed they had it, even through some initial rookie struggles (for some, not all):  Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson, Andy Dalton.  And maybe even Sam Darnold ....

22 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

There are two QB’s I can think of that were much more talented than their careers would suggest.

David Carr

Tim Couch

I don’t think coaching ruined them, but bad environments and bad talent around them did.

Those two were kind of mysteries. With Carr I think it was playing on bad teams. Couch - I'm just not sure he really had it. One that is a more typical failure: Heath Shuler. I think people forget how athletically talented he was, and he wasn't a dumb kid in the "Wonderlic 10" type of way. He just couldn't adapt to NFL defenses, and I remember him looking Peterman-esque in his brief stint as the Redskins starter on a team that really wasn't that horrible objectively.

EDIT: I looked back at David Carr's stats. Bottom line: he was awful until Kubiak took over in 2006 (running, of course, the Shanahan Broncos offense). And then he was ... o.k. But so was everyone else who ran that offense, including Sage Rosenfels and (the next few years) Matt Schaub. In fact, in retrospect I can't really figure out why they preferred Schaub to Carr - Carr was 27 at the time, and had just taken a significant step forward. He then went to the Panthers, where he wasn't a good fit in that Jake Delhomme oriented offense, he played like crap (as did everyone other than Delhomme, who got injured), and his career was effectively done. A weird case, and I'm not sure it's really an example of "how to ruin a QB."

Edited by The Frankish Reich