Is a "Bad" Year Really All That Bad for the Bills?

Midwest1981

14 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Really?  Cause last year, McD & co. took us to the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor.  Peterman is at least as good, and if we actually get the O-line running partly through the season Allen will be an instant improvement over either.  Not to mention Daboll is a bona fide upgrade at OC.

I doubt we get anywhere near playoffs but we will be competitive in most games and BTW getting some higher draft picks next year will only help our 2019 draft & FA blitzkrieg.  10 picks and $80 in cap.  Why risk Allen now?

Allen is still the answer, but McD has WISELY chosen not to get him killed by this wreck of an O-line.  As soon as the O-line shows some sign of life, Allen will play and develop for next year.

Agreed.....the OLine needs to protect their QB, and until they can McD has to.

17 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Are you kidding?  NE always has a good OLine. That's one the reason (and cheating) they are as good as they are.  they also always have a really good kicker.  Ever notice that?

Or at least they rarely get  called for holding. They do seem to be able to plug in random players who were driving a beer truck or selling insurance the week before and get by. I’m not sure how. 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Or at least they rarely get  called for holding. They do seem to be able to plug in random players who were driving a beer truck or selling insurance the week before and get by. I’m not sure how. 

Yes and No.

I remember probably 10 years ago in Training Camp, the Cheaps released multi year pro bowler offensive lineman Brian Waters.  I wanted us to pick him up because our line stunk then too.  We didn't. Bill Bellyache did and they went to the SB that year. 

He was also from my alma mater (North Texas State University) and hardly anybody from there gets to NFL aside from Mean Joe Green.  " Waters was named an All-Pro twice and was selected to the Pro Bowl five times in his eleven-year career with the Kansas City Chiefs.[3] In 2003, "  He was a FA.  We passed,, they didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Waters

Friendly refs is part of it, but they also think it's important which we evidently do not.

I certainly won't retract my sentiments in this post, at least entirely, because I see the upside of having perhaps the first pick in the draft, an early 2nd & 3rd, multiple 4th's & 5th's, etc., and the fiscal capacity to help change this team (granted, with a more astute talent evaluation than this past spring demonstrated). 

But 44-point losses will produce pressure, no matter whatever goodwill engendered with last year's Playoff berth.  The Bills will be bad, like I expected, but they can't be on any sort of historic level.

I still maintain this year is about development of players critical to our future, even if a player like Allen's development likely can't be insanely accelerated with his surrounding cast, and about building draft capital to supplement our cap space.

But no, if the plan produced 44-point season-opening loss in which the Ravens pulled their starters midway through the 3rd... A) that was a bad plan and B) there will be pressure.  Oh, and C) very little of this season can be enjoyed for us fans.

Edited by Midwest1981