Breaking News

Because of this situation, I guarantee that some of us on this board will be "allowed to die" when we are old. This is the beginning of a slippery slope. Grandma is senile? -starve her. Grandpa is a quadrapelegic?- starve him. Got to make room in the nursing homes for all of us baby boomers! <_<

285837[/snapback]

Terri is not old...she's not senile...she's not quadrapeligic! She's a vegtable who for 15 years did not improve and has nothing to live for! Her brain is fried! You are comparing apples and oranges!

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terri is not old...she's not senile...she's not quadrapeligic! She's a vegtable who for 15 years did not improve and has nothing to live for! Her brain is fried! You are comparing apples and oranges!

285861[/snapback]

Nope it is like anything else. Once you allow "one variance" then they will continue expanding the stupidity until people will be allowed to kill there babies in the first year if they decide they don't want them anymore.

This seems to have become an issue tailored for me *SPLAT*

Has everyone lost sight of the fact that everyone involved is fighting over someone who is fundamentally no more than a slab of meat? The body may remain, but the person of Terry Schiavo left this world years ago. For Christ's sake...show some basic human decency, stop fighting over the remaining empty shell, and let her go in peace already. For a country that claims to value the sanctity of life...we sure as hell don't, most of the time. Death is natural. Lingering half-dead for fifteen years because of the actions of others is not. And prolonging the woman's inevitable death for fifteen years doesn't sanctify her life, it revels in and celebrates the process of dying.

Now continue arguing like someone's "right" in this argument *SPLAT*. At best, some people might - might - achieve decency and humanity. But no one's "right"...the people who want to kill a helpless woman no more and no less so than those that want to keep a corpse alive. *SPLAT*

This seems to have become an issue tailored for me *SPLAT*

Has everyone lost sight of the fact that everyone involved is fighting over someone who is fundamentally no more than a slab of meat?  The body may remain, but the person of Terry Schiavo left this world years ago.  For Christ's sake...show some basic human decency, stop fighting over the remaining empty shell, and let her go in peace already.  For a country that claims to value the sanctity of life...we sure as hell don't, most of the time.  Death is natural.  Lingering half-dead for fifteen years because of the actions of others is not.  And prolonging the woman's inevitable death for fifteen years doesn't sanctify her life, it revels in and celebrates the process of dying.

Now continue arguing like someone's "right" in this argument *SPLAT*.  At best, some people might - might - achieve decency and humanity.  But no one's "right"...the people who want to kill a helpless woman no more and no less so than those that want to keep a corpse alive.  *SPLAT*

285903[/snapback]

I get the point that no matter who "wins" everyone comes out of this losing. But to present the both sides of "It's murder" and "It's time to let go b/c Teri isn't in there anymore and didn't want this" as if they're not mutually exclusive in this case.... Saying that everyone's wrong is quite a cop-out to real life, especially when you try to talk in a hypothetical as if time can be suspended and you don't have to bother offering a real solution b/w the two, not that there is one. This is one or the other; there's no gray area, unless you're rooting for Teri to die of an infection or a gas main explosion or something, which kind of defeats the purpose of assigning a right and wrong.

I can't wait till the South Park guys do a 'woman in an coma' episode and rip apart everyone involved in this fiasco.

285943[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing, can't wait! They kind of did one on that Colorado proffesor who called 9-11 victims "little Eichmans".

I missed last nights. snow storm covered my dish!

Our parayers should be with Terry and her family.  The constitution held after all and indeed the system does work.

I feel so bad for Terry that she was put thorugh this but at least now she can pass in peace.

285866[/snapback]

And now Michael can live in luxury.

God Bless America.

Nope it is like anything else.  Once you allow "one variance" then they will continue expanding the stupidity until people will be allowed to kill there babies in the first year if they decide they don't want them anymore.

285871[/snapback]

You mean like Peter Singer

Furthermore, Dr. Singer defines certain disabled persons as individuals who are living “a life not worth living.”5 His views permit the killing of certain newborn infants with disabilities up to 28 days after birth.6 Dr. Singer states that “killing a disabled infant is not morally equivalent to killing a person. Very often, it is not wrong at all.”7 Dr. Singer’s message threatens individuals with disabilities and contributes to the erosion of the public’s regard for the fundamental human rights of disabled people.

Nope it is like anything else.  Once you allow "one variance" then they will continue expanding the stupidity until people will be allowed to kill there babies in the first year if they decide they don't want them anymore.

285871[/snapback]

Isn't that the argument that right-to-lifers have used against abortion?

You mean like Peter Singer

Furthermore, Dr. Singer defines certain disabled persons as individuals who are living “a life not worth living.”5 His views permit the killing of certain newborn infants with disabilities up to 28 days after birth.6 Dr. Singer states that “killing a disabled infant is not morally equivalent to killing a person. Very often, it is not wrong at all.”7 Dr. Singer’s message threatens individuals with disabilities and contributes to the erosion of the public’s regard for the fundamental human rights of disabled people.

286039[/snapback]

I have never heard of him. But exactly. How soon before parents kill a child because they hav the wrong eye color, too short of toes, six toes or fingers, etc...

bad things.

I have never heard of him.  But exactly.  How soon before parents kill a child because they hav the wrong eye color, too short of toes, six toes or fingers, etc... 

bad things.

286109[/snapback]

Good lord. Putting a spouse in charge of his PVS spouse's life is not a slippery slope to killing children. This particular case is distasteful only because the parents oppose it. In a vast majority of these cases, the PVS person dies, at the family's behest. As far as I know, in the eternity since people have been making such end of life decisions, the slippery slope hasn't lead to societally approved killing of brown eyed babies.

Although the technology is different now, people have been offing those in suffering for a long time. Assuming Ms. Schiavo dies, this case breaks no new legal ground. In fact, if all the court battles have shown anything, her case breaks almost no ground at all; the law in these cases is pretty clear.

Don't like the law? Change it if you can. According to a lot of polls though, even the Christian Right is not fully against the right to die in these cases.

When did reasoning leave you?

286051[/snapback]

I'd guess pretty early, as he was taught to always assume the absolute, utter, deep-down-and-dark-as-you-can-get worst about other people. Lesson Two was to expect those selfsame other people to fully agree with and abide by his moral and political judgments, or else they get the frowny-face.

I'd guess pretty early, as he was taught to always assume the absolute, utter, deep-down-and-dark-as-you-can-get worst about other people. Lesson Two was to expect those selfsame other people to fully agree with and abide by his moral and political judgments, or else they get the frowny-face.

286233[/snapback]

Oh my, how scathing.

Like it or not, people ARE evil and out for themselves. We can't help it. We're descendents of the great apes. And I really couldn't care less if others lived by my ideals. I just don't care.

Where I draw the line is allowing those who have no regard for innocent life trample those who are defenseless.

I'm hoping that in a twist of fate, Schiavo wraps his car around a tree and ends up a "vegetable".