Trump Wants To Regulate Google

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

On a poetic note: Apocalypse didn't originally mean destruction in the sense most assume. In it's most original meaning, it means a revelation on a mass scale. An awakening. 

Welcome. :beer:  

I just cancelled my NY times and WAPO subscription.  I'm done with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Magox said:

Wow!

This is out of hand.  They need to be brought in in front of Congress right now.

Why it matters?  Google has a lot of online control.  Most online advertising is either on Google or Facebook, and most ad revenue comes from running some form of google ads (adsense, either directly or through an ad management company).  They pay a publisher 68% of the revenue and they keep the rest. In 2018, that "rest" was $24.1B.

Either by blocking their ads, or blocking them as a publisher, Google has made a decision that is purely to suppress a different point of view. The outcome they hope for is to drive the Federalist out of business.

</snip>

Google's ban of the websites comes after the company was notified of research conducted by the Center for Countering Digital Hate, a British nonprofit that combats online hate and misinformation. They found that 10 U.S-based websites have published what they say are racist articles about the protests, and projected that the websites would make millions of dollars through Google Ads.

Google blocked The Federalist from its advertising platform after the NBC News Verification Unit brought the project to its attention. ZeroHedge had already been demonetized prior to NBC News’ enquiry, Google said. ZeroHedge and The Federalist did not respond to requests for comment.

Imran Ahmed, CEO of the Center for Countering Digital Hate, said it found advertisements for many companies that had otherwise made public statements supporting Black Lives Matter and the recent protests running on the websites.

“We found that lots of those companies are inadvertently funding through their advertising content that is outright racist in defense of white supremacism and contains conspiracy theories about George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement," he said.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1

Now Google is refuting NBC’s story, saying it has not deplatformed them, but instead warned them they could be if they don’t make changes. Google also clarified this was not about any articles published but about ... their comments section. 

NBC already trying to stealth edit. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

GOOGLE RHYMES WITH GULAG: 

Google bans two websites from its ad platform over protest articles: The two sites, ZeroHedge and The Federalist, will no longer be able to generate revenue from any advertisements served by Google Ads.

That’s okay, there are several percent of the ad market that Google doesn’t control. Time for antitrust scrutiny. And since NBC prevailed on Google to demonetize two of its competitors, I think NBC should be investigated, too.

When two huge companies collude to cut out competitors, that looks like a conspiracy in restraint of trade, whatever the excuses given.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

GOOGLE RHYMES WITH GULAG: 

Google bans two websites from its ad platform over protest articles: The two sites, ZeroHedge and The Federalist, will no longer be able to generate revenue from any advertisements served by Google Ads.

That’s okay, there are several percent of the ad market that Google doesn’t control. Time for antitrust scrutiny. And since NBC prevailed on Google to demonetize two of its competitors, I think NBC should be investigated, too.

When two huge companies collude to cut out competitors, that looks like a conspiracy in restraint of trade, whatever the excuses given.

I doubt that the activist NBC reporter fully understood what she just did.  I'm guessing that she didn't vet her actions past Comcast's Gov't Affairs or Compliance.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

I doubt that the activist NBC reporter fully understood what she just did.  I'm guessing that she didn't vet her actions past Comcast's Gov't Affairs or Compliance.  

I wonder if she will still have a job at NBC? Oh, someone will hire her asap if they do can her, I just wonder if whatever this made up NBC thing is, if they can afford to keep her on?

Google does return adsense privileges to people. No, not to everyone, and no not the majority. However, it does happen and the process can take weeks, months, or years. A few hours? Ummm nopers.   In this case, they blamed it on comments (that is a first I have ever heard of something like that) and the Federalist capitulated and turned them off. I have no idea if the Federalist will bring comments back in a moderated form.

I am wondering if Vox, NBC, USA Today, NYT, etc will have their comments closely looked at, and their adsense accounts locked? :wacko: I kid! I kid! That will never happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I wonder if she will still have a job at NBC? Oh, someone will hire her asap if they do can her, I just wonder if whatever this made up NBC thing is, if they can afford to keep her on?

Google does return adsense privileges to people. No, not to everyone, and no not the majority. However, it does happen and the process can take weeks, months, or years. A few hours? Ummm nopers.   In this case, they blamed it on comments (that is a first I have ever heard of something like that) and the Federalist capitulated and turned them off. I have no idea if the Federalist will bring comments back in a moderated form.

I am wondering if Vox, NBC, USA Today, NYT, etc will have their comments closely looked at, and their adsense accounts locked? :wacko: I kid! I kid! That will never happen.

Too late, NBC exposed the industry to restraint of trade shenanigans.   If Google's policy is that comments must be moderated to receive ad revenue, the same standard has to apply to any other entity that receives AdSense.  Pyrrhic victory for NBC as they say.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

Too late, NBC exposed the industry to restraint of trade shenanigans.   If Google's policy is that comments must be moderated to receive ad revenue, the same standard has to apply to any other entity that receives AdSense.  Pyrrhic victory for NBC as they say.

Youtube hardest hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

YouTube is under attack now? Damn.

There's a big difference between an open user-driven platform with comments that are hidden until the user opens them vs a private site with comments that are open while attached to the article....

Who really comments on a news site, anyway? BAN THEM ALL... ?

More at National Review, which notes that “The decision by Google comes after NBC News referred the company to complaints against The Federalist and the website ZeroHedge compiled by the U.K.-based Center for Countering Digital Hate:”  (sounds like the fraud SPLC)

The CCDH describes itself as “a not-for-profit NGO headquartered in London, England that seeks to disrupt the architecture of online hate and misinformation” that aims to counter “fringe movements that instrumentalise hate and misinformation.” A reporter from NBC’s “Verification Center” congratulated the CCDH and its subsidiary project “Stop Funding Fake News” on the action.

Their “About Us” page has quite the logo on it:

stop_funding_fake_news_6-16-20-800x466.j

As Joe Gabriel Simonson of the Washington Examiner tweets, “I assume this logo with a flag historically connected to communism is a coincidence.”

NBC’s Adele-Momoko Fraser thanked CCDH and “Stop Funding Fake News” in a since-deleted tweet:

nbc_reporter_thanks_sffn_for_collaborati

National Review’s David Harsanyi, who was a senior editor at the Federalist from 2013-2019, asks, “Would Google really demonetize sites over their comment sections? Has such a standard ever been used for a political website?”

Whatever the case, it’s clear now that NBC News was trying to have The Federalist demonetized. Unequipped to offer a compelling case on her own, Adele-Momoko Fraser appealed to authority by pointing to the alleged expertise of a previously unknown British group calling itself the “Center for Countering Digital Hate.”

A quick scan of the site will illustrate that the group relies on unsubstantiated Internet trolling as a basis for its “reports.” It looks as if the site is manned by one person, named Imran Ahmed, who seems to believe that Microsoft and Ford are also part of the white-supremacist conspiracy. It’s embarrassing that NBC News would rely on information given by such a transparently ideological and amateurish organization to censor anyone.

Where are all the other journalists banding together to defend the ideals of free expression and the First Amendment? So far, nowhere. The Left’s illiberal impulse to quash opinions it dislikes is getting increasingly brazen — and dangerous. And it won’t stop here.

Indeed. Although today’s debacle by the “NBC News Verification Unit” is yet another reminder of the solid reportage of the 94 year old network (including its origin as one of the first national radio networks) in its dotage:

nbc_news_verification_unit_6-16-20-2-800

UPDATE (FROM GLENN): So two big media companies basically collude to deprive two competitors of access to the advertising market. How, exactly, is this not a “conspiracy in restraint of trade?”

UPDATE (From Ed): “Google now denies it pulled ads from the Federalist in the first place. The objectionable content on the Federalist was, allegedly, in the comments section. As reporters like Vox’s Jane Coaston have pointed out, comments sections are generally protected under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. In fairness, this protects them from government takedowns, not Google bans…but if Google has an issue with the content in comments sections, it may want to turn a keen eye to the stuff that gets posted in response to YouTube videos by the second.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

If conservatives hope to survive the purge we have to stop funding those who seek to destroy us.

There is no reason to use Google, and certainly no reason to click on any Google ads.

I use Duckduckgo and occasionally bing and they work just fine.

If they lose 1/3 of their traffic to competitors their monopoly dies.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1