WGR: Bennie Anderson to visit today

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we're talking guards. This is the first name I've heard that is a good fit for our offense and should also fit the Bills budget.

You sure about that VA? I thought he'd been the starter at RG for 3,4,5 years now, or at least has been every time I've seen the Ravens.

Checking #'s now and he's started 56 games over the last 4 years, including 16 starts in 2002 and 15 starts in 2003. That averages out to 14 starts/year over a 4 year period, which would be highly unusual for a guy who wasn't the starter. If Mulitalo(sp?) is at LG, who's supposedly at RG in front of Anderson?

Cya

279013[/snapback]

He was their starter, but it's been kinda by default due to injuries like Flynn last year. Ravens have never seen him as the answer there, & they have been looking to upgrade that position for a while now.

He was their starter, but it's been kinda by default. Ravens have never seen him as the answer there, & they have been looking to upgrade that position for a while now.

279036[/snapback]

Exactly. A post on the ravens board said, in reference to the Keydrick Vincent signing, that he "replaces the worst offensive lineman" on the team.

Now we're talking guards. This is the first name I've heard that is a good fit for our offense and should also fit the Bills budget.

You sure about that VA? I thought he'd been the starter at RG for 3,4,5 years now, or at least has been every time I've seen the Ravens.

Checking #'s now and he's started 56 games over the last 4 years, including 16 starts in 2002 and 15 starts in 2003. That averages out to 14 starts/year over a 4 year period, which would be highly unusual for a guy who wasn't the starter. If Mulitalo(sp?) is at LG, who's supposedly at RG in front of Anderson?

Cya

279013[/snapback]

That is why I like Anderson. I believe Flynn was the other starter who backed up at Center. But the coaching was so good there and with Rabach, those guys in their interior just moved in and out of the guard spots and center as injuries or whatever set in. I just know that Anderson was not the starter walking into last season but did start the 14 games as you mentioned.

He probably will be cheap, and will really be a good guard for us, if signed. Again, he is outstanding at run blocking as everyone mentions but is average at pass blocking. Which isn't bad, but is not on the same level as his run blocking.

I'd wager to say that their WORST OL is better than our best.

279039[/snapback]

I wouldn't...

but I defer to JMac. If he thinks Anderson is better than L. Smith :doh: ,

then TD should sign him, but not for a lot of $$$.

I'd wager to say that their WORST OL is better than our best.

279039[/snapback]

True, but this is just another example of people overvaluing a player. Same thing is happening in regard to the draft. We need a starting LT, so people are valuing guys like Munoz as if he's every bit as good as a guy like Mississippi C Chris Spencer, which he is not. Now, if they can sign Anderson cheap, then why not? He is a decent player. Just realize he's not as good as Alan Faneca.

Lets see, he's 28, so he has at least 5 years of peak play, If weight is his major problem, that can be worked on. Not in a position to look for a money grab as DeMulling was, so should be reasonably priced, Not top shelf, but someone that can be worked with. I would be a little upset if this one got away from us, of course I say that not knowing a great deal about him.

But but but but but but....WTF is wrong with Justin Bannan as our starting LG. He showed so much potential in those 3 goal line plays where he line up at guard. TD is wasting his time looking at Anderson. I'm pissed! Next thing you know, somebody is going to tell me that Jason Peters isn't good enough to be our starting LT! :doh:

True, but this is just another example of people overvaluing a player.  Same thing is happening in regard to the draft.  We need a starting LT, so people are valuing guys like Munoz as if he's every bit as good as a guy like Mississippi C Chris Spencer, which he is not.  Now, if they can sign Anderson cheap, then why not?  He is a decent player.  Just realize he's not as good as Alan Faneca.

279048[/snapback]

Rich, I agree 100%. He isn't Larry Allan or anyone else like that, but he is a very solid guard with good coaching from the Ravens. He will IMHO fit into our team quite well. Plus being in the are he seems like the down to earth type of person who the Bills fans would like.

Lets see, he's 28, so he has at least 5 years of peak play, If weight is his major problem, that can be worked on.  Not in a position to look for a money grab as DeMulling was, so should be reasonably priced, Not top shelf, but someone that can be worked with.  I would be a little upset if this one got away from us, of course I say that not knowing a great deal about him.

279051[/snapback]

This dude has probably been too fat for a very, very long time. I don't think we'll be able to get him to lose weight but I AM looking forward to seeing him maul DT's.

He probably will be cheap, and will really be a good guard for us, if signed.  Again, he is outstanding at run blocking as everyone mentions but is average at pass blocking.  Which isn't bad, but is not on the same level as his run blocking.

279040[/snapback]

After Teague is moved to LT and Tucker is starting at C,

maybe we can platoon Anderson on running plays with L. Smith on passing plays. :unsure::doh:

maybe we can platoon Anderson on running plays with L. Smith on passing plays.  :unsure:  :unsure:

279088[/snapback]

Platoon was a very good movie :unsure: maybe the two of them can be a good tandem :doh:

maybe we can platoon Anderson on running plays with L. Smith on passing plays.  :unsure:  :doh:

279088[/snapback]

The old days of "messenger" guards before QB radio helmets....I like it a lot. Back to the basics...

Seriously, Willis would be very happy to have Williams on one side and Anderson on the other....

Bennie Anderson would be a great fit for our offense. A Huge road grader to put at lg. The fact that he blocked for a 2000 yard rusher is enough convincing for me. He beats the hell out of what we got on our roster right now. Plus I think the interior of the line is more important to the success of ball control smash mouth offensese than tackles are. If we were a pass first offense than tackles would be more important. However pass rushing de's become nullified when you're a run first team, making the importance of tackles well not all that important, and the interior of your line all the more important.

Now it's good to hear we were having conversations with arizonas freddie jones. I understand why mularkey wants a blocking te, but we also need a guy who's capable of being a receiving threat as we don't have a reliable safety valve. If we can sign freddie jones mark campbell is plenty capabale imo of being our blocking te. Most teams have a good pass catching threat and blocking threat at te anyway

However I'm not holding my breath. It's just refreshing to know we are talking to people that could improve this team. It's a long offseason. No reason for doom and gloom yet. However if we don't sign any free agents by training camp than I'll start to worry.

True, but this is just another example of people overvaluing a player.  Same thing is happening in regard to the draft.  We need a starting LT, so people are valuing guys like Munoz as if he's every bit as good as a guy like Mississippi C Chris Spencer, which he is not.  Now, if they can sign Anderson cheap, then why not?  He is a decent player.  Just realize he's not as good as Alan Faneca.

279048[/snapback]

Rich,

You may well be right about Munoz.....but the fact is that we really dont know how good he can be because he has had injury problems.....

I will tell you what......I would be absolutely tickled pink if we got Spencer (Who I think could be a instant starter for us) in the 2nd round and then was able to pick up Munoz in the 3rd......