Games watched

row_33

Week 6 on tap with my pithy/cynical/brilliancy prize  comments....

Thursday/Friday:   LOL

Noon (ET):  Bama at Arky  (was there many years ago at Fayetteville for an OT game in a driving rainstorm)

Texas/Okla   used to mean a million times more than it does now

Maryland/Mich  (for fetishistic idiosyncratic fanbase interests)

Buffalo/Directional Michigan (ditto)

Cuse/Pitt (ditto)

3:30              LSU/Florida   I guess I really should care about this, Thanksgiving dinner at the parents so I'll be on the road and not miss this at all

Indiana/tOSU   how will the Buckeyes conspire and stumble to keep this interesting into the 2nd half???

Primetime:    Washington/UCLA  Fox was counting on it meaning more than it does

Irish/Va Tech        scary implications if the Irish run the table....

Not a banner week nationally, watch your team play and root root root with all your heart

Edited by row_33

On 9/30/2018 at 12:48 AM, Mark Vader said:

College Gameday is going to Blacksburg next week for Virginia Tech-Notre Dame.

Weird. They should be in Dallas for Oklahoma-Texas.

I believe Gameday is in Texas Sat morning for the Red River shootout. But herbie and Fowler are calling the Vatech game that night.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2018 at 6:48 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Explain when they demonstrated a bias for Ohio State 

On 10/1/2018 at 7:38 AM, Bill from NYC said:

I really don't understand the above. Alabama won titles and continues to win games.

Please, list the teams who were better than Alabama and were deprived of a playoff spot.

I see your point Yolo. I thought that Ohio State was going to be voted in last year but they obviously were not. If there was a pro OSU bias, the committee would have overlooked the second loss and tossed them right in there.

Elevating a non division champ over a conference champ IMO shows a preference for particular schools over the rest of their conference.

What is the point of a conference championship game if The Committee is just going to pick another team anyway?

On 10/2/2018 at 11:24 AM, row_33 said:

Week 6 on tap with my pithy/cynical/brilliancy prize  comments....

Thursday/Friday:   LOL

Noon (ET):  Bama at Arky  (was there many years ago at Fayetteville for an OT game in a driving rainstorm)

Texas/Okla   used to mean a million times more than it does now

Maryland/Mich  (for fetishistic idiosyncratic fanbase interests)

Buffalo/Directional Michigan (ditto)

Cuse/Pitt (ditto)

3:30              LSU/Florida   I guess I really should care about this, Thanksgiving dinner at the parents so I'll be on the road and not miss this at all

Indiana/tOSU   how will the Buckeyes conspire and stumble to keep this interesting into the 2nd half???

Primetime:    Washington/UCLA  Fox was counting on it meaning more than it does

Irish/Va Tech        scary implications if the Irish run the table....

Not a banner week nationally, watch your team play and root root root with all your heart

Noon:

#19 Texas / #7 Oklahoma on Fox: Like you said, this game used to mean so much more.  But the rivalry still makes this one of those circle the calendar games.  Glad Texas is ranked to give this one back some of it's luster

Northwestern / #20 Sparty on FS1: I'm a B1G kind of guy

3:30

#5 LSU / #22 Florida on CBS: Another one of those games that used to be epic.  Hopefully this rivalry heats back up

4:00

Indiana / #3 Ohio St on Fox: Indiana put a scare into Brutus last year and Ohio St may take the foot off the pedal with the Penn St game in the rear view and Sparty so far down the road

8:00

#6 Notre Dame / #24 Virginia Tech on ABC: Go Hokies!  This might have been a top 10 matchup if not for those pesky Old Dominion Monarchs :devil:

23 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Elevating a non division champ over a conference champ IMO shows a preference for particular schools over the rest of their conference.

What is the point of a conference championship game if The Committee is just going to pick another team anyway?

That is a good point but the regular season record should mean something too.

If Alabama had lost to a so-so team by 33 points, do you think they would have made the playoffs?

31 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

That is a good point but the regular season record should mean something too.

If Alabama had lost to a so-so team by 33 points, do you think they would have made the playoffs?

Depends when the loss ocurred.  An early season blowout to a lesser opponent would be forgiven and forgotten. 

Which is why there needs to be an objective selection method and an expanded field.

19 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Depends when the loss ocurred.  An early season blowout to a lesser opponent would be forgiven and forgotten. 

Which is why there needs to be an objective selection method and an expanded field.

This will be a tough issue to tackle.

I don't know how fair it is to make kids play yet more games and risk losing all the money that awaits some of them. Also, what about the bowls?

I have more questions than answers.

42 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

They used a computer for a few years

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

They used a computer for a few years

Don't know if a computer is needed, but maybe codify some kind of basic guidelines as to who is eligible?

Or maybe balance out the selection committee.  Instead of appointing random journalists and former players, maybe do something like FCS.  Where you have one Athletic Director from each of the Power 5 schools, a rotating AD member from the Group of 5, and a rotating member from Fox/ABC/CBS

Edited by /dev/null

6 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Noon:

#19 Texas / #7 Oklahoma on Fox: Like you said, this game used to mean so much more.  But the rivalry still makes this one of those circle the calendar games.  Glad Texas is ranked to give this one back some of it's luster

Northwestern / #20 Sparty on FS1: I'm a B1G kind of guy

3:30

#5 LSU / #22 Florida on CBS: Another one of those games that used to be epic.  Hopefully this rivalry heats back up

4:00

Indiana / #3 Ohio St on Fox: Indiana put a scare into Brutus last year and Ohio St may take the foot off the pedal with the Penn St game in the rear view and Sparty so far down the road

8:00

#6 Notre Dame / #24 Virginia Tech on ABC: Go Hokies!  This might have been a top 10 matchup if not for those pesky Old Dominion Monarchs :devil:

Once again.. “Championships Won” is one of the tiebreakers for the committee. If there is no tie, there is no need for a tiebreaker. There was no tie. Penn state had 2 losses. If both OSU and psu had one loss, psu would have gotten in. Your issue with the system as a whole, not with any perceived bias. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Once again.. “Championships Won” is one of the tiebreakers for the committee. If there is no tie, there is no need for a tiebreaker. There was no tie. Penn state had 2 losses. If both OSU and psu had one loss, psu would have gotten in. Your issue with the system as a whole, not with any perceived bias. 

Agreed, the system as a whole is flawed.  

But we will have to disagree on the topic of bias, which IMO is inherent to the flawed system.  Granted if Penn St had the decade of dominance that Ohio St or Alabama has enjoyed, they would be the ones receiving the benefit of bias

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Agreed, the system as a whole is flawed.  

But we will have to disagree on the topic of bias, which IMO is inherent to the flawed system.  Granted if Penn St had the decade of dominance that Ohio St or Alabama has enjoyed, they would be the ones receiving the benefit of bias

Ohio State won the Big 10 (the strongest conference in 2017) last year and did not get in, because they had two losses. There is no Ohio state bias. I didn’t think they should have gotten in. I’m not complaining that they didn’t. But the committee could have justified it, they chose not to.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.