Tell a story of someone you knew who was just stupid/dumb

I had a roommate when I lived in LA.  Well, a lot of roommates.  6 of us went in with a 6 bedroom house.

One of them was a guy who was a struggling actor.  He thought he was good, he was awful and we made fun of him in a friendly way.  I lived with him for one year but knew him for about 4....never booked anything.  Anyway, he was dumb...like really dumb.

He was having a hard time making ends meet and was late paying rent about 3 months in a row.  We covered for him, he would pay it back eventually but we told him we won't be doing it again.

So in order to get more money, he decided to sell his newer car and looking to get something older and cheaper.  Well the problem with his car was it was a lease from a Honda dealership.  I told him you can't sell a leased car because you don't own it.  He acted like I was being the idiot.  

He put it up on Craigslist to sell.  The other interesting part was the price tag....he put it up for sale more than a brand new one on the lot.  His reasoning was it was a Honda and people will pay more for a Honda because they're reliable.  I asked him why would someone pay more for your used one with 20,000 miles than a brand new one off the lot?  He would brush me off because I was younger and he was older....he said I just don't get it.  Basically I was too young to understand how the real world works.  He would respond to me like a grandfather would to his 4 year old grandchild who said something cute.  

We kicked him out the very next month because he couldn't pay rent again.  I was about 25-26 at the time, he was about 10 years older.

Not a story, but a couple of observations.

In my experience, stupid people don't know that they are stupid.  If you watch for this you will see it.  That creates problems.

Further, the dumber one is, the more one sees the world or a given issue in simple, basic terms.  So most things become "easy" to them.  They have an inability to see complexity and therefore complication in a situation.  Most answers are therefore arrived at quickly and are viewed as simple. 

Read up on the Dunning-Kruger Effect, which is related to all this.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Not a story, but a couple of observations.

In my experience, stupid people don't know that they are stupid.  If you watch for this you will see it.  That creates problems.

Further, the dumber one is, the more one sees the world or a given issue in simple, basic terms.  So most things become "easy" to them.  They have an inability to see complexity and therefore complication in a situation.  Most answers are therefore arrived at quickly and are viewed as simple. 

Read up on the Dunning-Kruger Effect, which is related to all this.

I was literally about to post that.  I learned that in college and it absolutely made sense...blew my mind there was actually a term for this.

This is one of my favorite quotes.  There were several other memes with this quote but I picked this one because there's an Asian in it.

image.jpeg.3ee4bc637eb3e9ca39caba778b117e5f.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was literally about to post that.  I learned that in college and it absolutely made sense...blew my mind there was actually a term for this.

This is one of my favorite quotes.  There were several other memes with this quote but I picked this one because there's an Asian in it.

image.jpeg.3ee4bc637eb3e9ca39caba778b117e5f.jpeg

Charlie Manson was Asian?

Friend of mine had a roommate. They went out to McDonald's and got a 20 piece nugget to split. I literally watched her go "One for me, one for you..." 20 times, instead of just counting ten out for each. The rent for their apartment was like $799. So my friend told her to give her the $400 so she can go pay the rent. "That doesn't add up! I think you're trying to rip me off!" My friend, instead of trying to argue with her, just said "Fine, give me $399." 

Same chick worked the deli counter at the local supermarket. I asked her for three quarters of a pound of turkey. She gives me like five slices. I tell her that's not enough. She tells me that's exactly what I ordered. She puts it back on the scale. "See! Three quarters!" I look at the scale. She gave me .3 pounds of turkey.

6 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Friend of mine had a roommate. They went out to McDonald's and got a 20 piece nugget to split. I literally watched her go "One for me, one for you..." 20 times, instead of just counting ten out for each. The rent for their apartment was like $799. So my friend told her to give her the $400 so she can go pay the rent. "That doesn't add up! I think you're trying to rip me off!" My friend, instead of trying to argue with her, just said "Fine, give me $399." 

Same chick worked the deli counter at the local supermarket. I asked her for three quarters of a pound of turkey. She gives me like five slices. I tell her that's not enough. She tells me that's exactly what I ordered. She puts it back on the scale. "See! Three quarters!" I look at the scale. She gave me .3 pounds of turkey.

Was she at least hot?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I don't know if it qualifies as 'dumb' as much as not being taught, but there are few checkout clerks who can make change if the receipt isn't there to tell the clerk that the customer gets $4.17 in change from a 10 dollar bill offered for a $5.83 purchase.  

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Well, there's this message board...

I read the thread title and immediately saw that you were the most recent post.  It's one of those moments where things are going exactly the way they're supposed to.

Ooooh and another story with this roommate.

After being at the pool all day, his face got burnt.  Pretty bad too.  I told him to go to the store and get aloe or a good moisturizer to apply to his face and keep reapplying.

He goes to the store and comes back.  He goes into the bathroom and his face is covered in white.  I thought it was some sort of lotion.

After a few hours, he complains his face hurts even more.  I look at the bottle, it was soap that had moisturizer in it.  On his sun burned face, he caked his face with this soap and it dried.  He couldn't decipher between moisturizing lotion/aloe vs moisturizing soap.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I don't know if it qualifies as 'dumb' as much as not being taught, but there are few checkout clerks who can make change if the receipt isn't there to tell the clerk that the customer gets $4.17 in change from a 10 dollar bill offered for a $5.83 purchase.  

I worked at an ice cream place in the summer during my college days.  One day while cashing out a woman, for no reason whatsoever she said "now don't look at the register, how much change do I get?".  I immediately answered.  She then, over and over, kept asking "what if I gave you this much, what if I gave you that much...".  Each time I answered immediately.  I have no idea why she was doing it, but she then followed up with "well I bet my 10 year old daughter is better at math than you."

I then informed her that I was one semester away from a masters in statistics.  She then stormed off all angry.  I have no idea what that lady's deal was, but I have no problem calling her an idiot.  It's nice when attempts to shame a young kid like that and it blows up in their face.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I worked at an ice cream place in the summer during my college days.  One day while cashing out a woman, for no reason whatsoever she said "now don't look at the register, how much change do I get?".  I immediately answered.  She then, over and over, kept asking "what if I gave you this much, what if I gave you that much...".  Each time I answered immediately.  I have no idea why she was doing it, but she then followed up with "well I bet my 10 year old daughter is better at math than you."

I then informed her that I was one semester away from a masters in statistics.  She then stormed off all angry.  I have no idea what that lady's deal was, but I have no problem calling her an idiot.  It's nice when attempts to shame a young kid like that and it blows up in their face.

After the assertion that her 10 year old was better at math, I can only conclude you hit a 'home schooler'.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Can you at least give this board credit that they pay attention?  There's always a sliver lining Tom.

My cats pay attention to me.  They also lick their own asses.  

Do you lick your own ass?  When you do, I'll credit you with paying attention.

I know a guy who worked as a soda jerk during his college days. To this day he still harbors resentment towards a woman who was trying to help him improve his lot in life.

40 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Can you at least give this board credit that they pay attention?  There's always a sliver lining Tom.

I prefer a gold lining, slivers are quite painful.

Edited by Cripple Creek