Traveling by Train

Foxx

the fast food combo thread made me wonder about this....

in the later third of the month, i will be traveling across the country from Roch to Seattle, WA. it really is a pretty good deal. the trip will take roughly 69 hours and costs roughly $200 each way. a leisurely trip where i can sleep when i want, not have to worry about watching the road (not to mention the cost of gas) nor falling out of the sky. will get to see the countryside of this great nation, really looking forward to seeing the Tetons.

questions are, has anyone done this before? what is the food like? will i be able to sleep upright in a reserved coach seat, does it recline? they have showers so that shouldn't be a problem. perhaps there is something that i may have overlooked or not thought of?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. very much looking forward to it.

Edited by Foxx

I’ve never done it, but I have to chime in and say that sounds absolutely fantastic! I hope it’s as good for you as I imagine. I’d like to try it, but the wife gets motion sickness, so it might be better to try that by myself. I look forward to reports from those with experience. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve never done it, but I have to chime in and say that sounds absolutely fantastic! I hope it’s as good for you as I imagine. I’d like to try it, but the wife gets motion sickness, so it might be better to try that by myself. I look forward to reports from those with experience. 

yeah, i couldn't get the wife to go. she is much happier in her craft room. ah well...

Just now, Foxx said:

yeah, i couldn't get the wife to go. she is much happier in her craft room. ah well...

What kinda crafter hates trains?

I tell this to my wife: "Let's take a train ride across country, through Tetons, she'd be packing the Steve Goodman/Arlo Guthrie albums before I could finish talking."

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

69 hours... I stopped right there... LoL...

Just kidding.  Sounds gr8, just pray you don't get douchebag set of passengers along for the ride.

That's only $2.89/hour... Not bad!  LoL...?

i thought 69 hours was great time for traveling by land.

yeah, i will be hooking up up with a girl from Toronto here in Roch to start the trip and having another friend step on in LaCrosse WI. should be a rocking time, about 20 days in toto.

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Ummm, is there a “bar car”? 

there's gotta be,  right?

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What kinda crafter hates trains?

I tell this to my wife: "Let's take a train ride across country, through Tetons, she'd be packing the Steve Goodman/Arlo Guthrie albums before I could finish talking."

you'd have to understand my wife. hell, i don't understand her to this day. i know her pretty well, but understand her..... nfw!

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Foxx said:

i thought 69 hours was great time for traveling by land.

yeah, i will be hooking up up with a girl from Toronto here in Roch to start the trip and having another friend step on in LaCrosse WI. should be a rocking time, about 20 days in toto.

May suck around the Amtrak bridge here on the Calumet River... Picked up my Mother In law one time on the Lakeshore Ltm.  She called, gonna be 2 hours early, she was 3 hours late... So much congestion here, freight heading into Chicago... Bridges go up, etc... 

Hope you luck out, because it will feel like 69 hours waiting for that bridge!

?

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve done Utica to Sanford, FL.  We had a small sleeper compartment and a meal plan, so it wasn’t quite like you describe.  Fun, but harder to sleep than I thought. The train doesn’t really go in a constant rhythm and it’s pretty loud.  I hope you report back because I’m truly curious about how it goes. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

May suck around the Amtrak bridge here on the Calumet River... Picked up my Mother In law one time on the Lakeshore Ltm.  She called, gonna be 2 hours early, she was 3 hours late... So much congestion here, freight heading into Chicago... Bridges go up, etc... 

Hope you luck out, because it will feel like 69 hours waiting for that bridge!

?

yep, taking the Lake Shore Limited from here to Chicago for a connect to the Empire Builder out to Seattle.  what, a 6 1/2 hour layover so im sure the delay is factored in. good to know though, thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

I’ve done Utica to Sanford, FL.  We had a small sleeper compartment and a meal plan, so it wasn’t quite like you describe.  Fun, but harder to sleep than I thought. The train doesn’t really go in a constant rhythm and it’s pretty loud.  I hope you report back because I’m truly curious about how it goes. 

Same here... Report back Foxx.

I hear boats bellaching all the time to the bridges here on South Side.  Everything has to go around Lake Michigan, so flat that trains stay grade and there has to be drawbridges... Quite a bottleneck into Chicago.

7 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

thanks! i'll report, no problem. 

i am a notoriously bad sleeper so i don't know that i'll notice much difference. i thought about the sleeping car but, i couldn't justify the enormous cost difference. i figured if i could be slightly inconvienced on the travel, my time at the beach house would be that much richer.

:) 

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Same here... Report back Foxx.

I hear boats bellaching all the time to the bridges here on South Side.  Everything has to go around Lake Michigan, so flat that trains stay grade and there has to be drawbridges... Quite a bottleneck into Chicago.

i'll try and post pictures, if they are small enough. i'll only have my phone so no fancy computer work to resize them is gonna happen unfortunately.

Edited by Foxx

I took a 40 hour train trip when I moved to Denver in 96.  No exaggeration I was friggin delirious by the time we pulled in to Union Station.  Could not sleep in the upright seats to save my life so that probably had a lot to do with it.  I don't remember seeing any train tracks near the Tetons so not sure how much you will see?  The eastern (Wyoming) side is the most picturesque... a mile of vertical rise with no foothills

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

thanks! i'll report, no problem. 

i am a notoriously bad sleeper so i don't know that i'll notice much difference. i thought about the sleeping car but, i couldn't justify the enormous cost difference. i figured if i could be slightly inconvienced on the travel, my time at the beach house would be that much richer.

:) 

Does Empire Builder have a dome car through Tetons... Pack your camera!

3 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I took a 40 hour train trip when I moved to Denver in 96.  No exaggeration I was friggin delirious by the time we pulled in to Union Station.  Could not sleep in the upright seats to save my life so that probably had a lot to do with it.  I don't remember seeing any train tracks near the Tetons so not sure how much you will see?  The eastern (Wyoming) side is the most picturesque... a mile of vertical rise with no foothills

ups, my bad, guess i won't be seeing the Tetons afterall (don't know what i was thinking). here is the map

https://www.amtrak.com/services/contentService.iblegacy.routes.empire-builder.html

• Sad 1

Just now, Just Jack said:

Only done Syracuse to NYC. One thing I did not know is if you choose to use the dining car, you may be seated with people not in your group. Not bad if you’re outgoing, but if you’re an introvert.....

MAGA: No Snowflakes allowed anymore.  Be extrovert, like the old days!

IMHO:

We did the x-country trip 5 years ago, Seattle to Chicago (flew on the other legs of the trip).

1. Seat only? Big mistake - you'll regret it instantly. Spend the nut and get the bedroom. The bedroom is worth every penny.

2. No wifi - bring your computer and make sure you have a good data plan on the phone.

3. For most of the trip, you'll have to tape your phone to the window to get decent data service.

4. You'll be the youngest person on the train by far.

5. Wait until you try to take a dump on a moving train.

6. A seat by itself does not give you access to a shower.

7. The train runs late - REALLY late. Anywhere from 6 to 20 hours late. The freight trains have priority for the entire route.

8. The food is OK, but BYOB.

9. The seats do not have individual outlets. There are outlets on the wall but it means putting a cord over the person sitting in the window seat (or having them put it over you).

• Like (+1) 1