Bills 2019 Draft

I think the top three needs post season will probably be DT, OL and WR.  Free agency will determine which of those will be the top priority in the draft.

If it is DT and Buffalo drafts early, some of the possibilities include Ed Oliver, Raekwon Davis and Derrick Brown.  Oliver has Aaron Donald like quickness with better size.  Davis has great length and strength. Derrick Brown is in between - has some of both, but carries more weight than either of the other two.   If they draft a little later in the first round, there are a couple Clemson products that could interest them:  Dexter Lawrence, who is both huge and athletic and Christian Wilkins, who would have been a first rounder this year had he declared.  2019 should be a terrific draft for top end DTs.

If it is OL and the Bills draft early, the pick is probably Trey Adams - OT out of Washington.  He would have been a first rounder in 2018, but blew out his ACL.  He decided to go back to school and play his senior season.  If the Bills are drafting later, they might think about Eigton Jenkins out of Mississippi State in the interior.  He should be able to play either center or guard.  Oth lonemen could emerge, but there aren't as many bonified stars on the offensive line as there are defensive tackles.

If it is WR, the picture is fairly muddy.  There are receivers who could go in the first round, but none are so dominant right now that it's a certainty.  AJ Brown out of Ole Mississippi is probably the safest projection in the first round.  The University of Buffalo has a receiver - Anthony Johnson - who could be in the first round conversation.

If I am Brandon Beane and I'm planning out my draft strategy, at this point, I'm seriously looking at filling my needs on the offensive line and wide receiver position in free agency, and using the draft for defensive tackle.

However, if Buffalo really wants to shake things up, he could draft a 6'5" player who carries 230 + lbs. very well and goes by the name of Josh Allen.  He's a linebacker out of Kentucky and can play inside or outside.

The class looks stacked with edge rushers. Could be the best pass rush class in the last 10 years if they all pan out in the college football season to come. If they do then for me it is simple. If the Bills end up top 10 and one of those stud rushers is there (Bosa might be a pipe dream but there are other options) then they shouldn't think twice. Just pick them. 

If we are inside the top 10 or dare i say 5 i really like the DT from houston.  Im not sure where he projects but if he is mid teens then i would trade down and try to grab him with some extra picks.  IF not stay pat and clog up the middle.  Kyle will be gone and star is not the future.  So hopefully we find a replacement in next years draft or FA

I don't know what the Bills would want or need...but I do think a few things are worth noting here for 2019.

1.  This upcoming offseason may well be the most stable all 32 franchises have ever colectively been at QB...with this past season free agency and QB rich draft...I can't think of a team that would even really need top of the draft QB....New England might look for Bradys eventual replacement....in a year when so few other team would be in the market, they once again can zig when everyone else is zagging.......New Orleans..and maybe the Chargers could be in market for their teams future QBs.....throw the Giants in there as well...but in those cases..they are talented teams and those guys are still producing....otherwise...maybe Tampa if they decide they are done with Jameis....is about it really.

2.  Part of the big push in this past draft year to nab that QB...was that 2019 has long been shaping up to be a poor QB draft year.....Drew Lock is the early leader, and he needs lots of work.

So, should the Bills find themselve up high or even at no.1.....they may find their pick to have lesser value than 2018 no.1 had....more like 2013...a year with no QB prospects worthwhile.  

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Welcome to The Wall, STL-Bills.

Right now I can only see the Bills going with best player available in the 2019 draft. I would think they would go offense, because we do need help on the line at wide receiver and running back.

This of course depends on what we do in free agency, considering how much money the Bills will have to spend, but I know you primarily want to look at the draft in general.

One thing I will say about next year's draft is that I would not be surprised if the Bills went with defense in the first round. Defensive Line is by far the top position in next year's draft. Both at Tackle & End, there are a lot of prospects that will be worthy of being taken in the first round, and enough depth at the position to last throughout the first round. I could easily see McBeane having a good look at one of those D-Line players.

Ed Oliver baby!!!!

6 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

I don't know what the Bills would want or need...but I do think a few things are worth noting here for 2019.

1.  This upcoming offseason may well be the most stable all 32 franchises have ever colectively been at QB...with this past season free agency and QB rich draft...I can't think of a team that would even really need top of the draft QB....New England might look for Bradys eventual replacement....in a year when so few other team would be in the market, they once again can zig when everyone else is zagging.......New Orleans..and maybe the Chargers could be in market for their teams future QBs.....throw the Giants in there as well...but in those cases..they are talented teams and those guys are still producing....otherwise...maybe Tampa if they decide they are done with Jameis....is about it really.

2.  Part of the big push in this past draft year to nab that QB...was that 2019 has long been shaping up to be a poor QB draft year.....Drew Lock is the early leader, and he needs lots of work.

So, should the Bills find themselve up high or even at no.1.....they may find their pick to have lesser value than 2018 no.1 had....more like 2013...a year with no QB prospects worthwhile.  

The Giants will be wanting a Quarterback.  I think Manning is done and they made a mistake passing this year in my mind, though I always believed they would pass this year. Then after that:

Denver (Keenum is a guy I have always liked but he is a bridge and not to Paxton Lynch who is terrible)

Jacksonville (Bortles still has a tenuous hold on that job)

Washington (need to take a guy while they have Smith very much as KC did)

Miami (they can move on from Tannehill after this season and I think they are going to majorly suck this year)

Then the other possibles (except for New England and New Orleans maybe looking for long term guys) are Tampa, Tennessee and Cincinnati but I think any of those QBs would need to have a really bad year for the cord to be pulled.

That said.... I am not looking for the Bills to trade back. If you end up high take a pass rushing D-lineman.  There should be plenty of good options at that spot.  

EDIT:  I agree with your 2nd point.  Drew Lock, Shea Patterson, Justin Herbert..... and then a bunch of guys who toyed with coming out in 2018 and decided the competition would be less stiff in 2019.... Finley showed some flashes, but Fitzgerald, Grier etc..... urgh.  Not a very inspiring class.  I wasn't a big Josh Allen guy but I might prefer him to ANY of those.   

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The Giants will be wanting a Quarterback.  I think Manning is done and they made a mistake passing this year in my mind, though I always believed they would pass this year. Then after that:

Denver (Keenum is a guy I have always liked but he is a bridge and not to Paxton Lynch who is terrible)

Jacksonville (Bortles still has a tenuous hold on that job)

Washington (need to take a guy while they have Smith very much as KC did)

Miami (they can move on from Tannehill after this season and I think they are going to majorly suck this year)

Then the other possibles (except for New England and New Orleans maybe looking for long term guys) are Tampa, Tennessee and Cincinnati but I think any of those QBs would need to have a really bad year for the cord to be pulled.

I also thought the Giants made a mistake passing on QB this year...and that Manning is toast...they made some investments in their line and Barkely betting he has something left...we'll see.

Denver is an interesting situation....I think they'll be caught in between thinking he is the man to not really being good enough, but too good to move on from....even though they probably should.

JAX......They did sign him to that extension...but they can easily get out of it....they basically bought themselves another season or 2 of figuring out if he can or can't.  He's probably going to last as long as that D is good and they can run the ball I'd think.

Washington...will need a guy in a year or two to start preparing to take over..but I don't think they will need that after this year.

Miami....Tannehill quietly signed an extension....he's an interesting case..was having something of a breakout year when he got hurt...really had that completion pct up there at 67%...now has injury history....you are probably right...he has to show big this year..and probalby wont.

Pats, Saints...need to find someone to groom.

Tampa may be the one team that ends up truly needing to find a new no.1 to start over with.

Titans....I think Mariotta isn't very good..but in his defense, their weapons have been lower end....and I don't think internally they consider him a bust.

Cincy....this is one where I would have been in that derby in this past draft...Dalton isn't that good...at least not consistantly enough.

I think a lot of those teams would take Quarterbacks in a good class.  If it turns out to be a crappy class then Keenum, Bortles and Tannehill look better than the alternative.  Bortles might be especially safe because the regime in Jax will survive.  If Denver and Miami suck (I think they both will) then they are both starting with new Head Coaches and in Miami's case a new GM in 2019... and that often means new Quarterback.  

• Like (+1) 1

i don't see this mcstaff allowing a step back this year. i believe we will command a wildcard spot and actually win the first game. that being said,

i say bpa we we will be drafting in the mid to late 20's....not quite as optimistic as 88.  if anything we will trade up using the extra capitol we have.