Charles Krauthammer Last Days---RIP

1 hour ago, KW95 said:

Who is that guy?  Some twit on Fox News I imagine?

I hope you are just an internet tough guy on this one, because if you say this garbage to someone to their face about him...........

you deserve whatever physicality you have coming to you.

Let's just hope you are only an internet tough guy on this issue.

Anyways, why are you being POS towards Krauthammer, he was one of Trump's biggest critics. You should like him for that alone since you hate Trump.

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

RIP Mr. Krauthmmer. Thank you for your class, intelligence, factual observations and ability to hold meaningful dialogue on contentious topics.

As a person who has relatives with disabilities, I appreciate that he never parlayed his disability into a request for sympathy or special treatment.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

I hope you are just an internet tough guy on this one, because if you say this garbage to someone to their face about him...........

you deserve whatever physicality you have coming to you.

Let's just hope you are only an internet tough guy on this issue.

Anyways, why are you being POS towards Krauthammer, he was one of Trump's biggest critics. You should like him for that alone since you hate Trump.

Im everything you want me to be!

Have a great weekend!

6 hours ago, KW95 said:

Who is that guy?  Some twit on Fox News I imagine?

I would like to share a story about Charles Krauthammer.

In October 2016, my dad met Krauthammer and Robert Reich at a thing in Washington. I'm not sure exactly what the thing was, but they chatted for awhile after. My dad's a geek for this stuff, so he got a photo and posted it to Instagram.
DgP7f4gVQAA2mRA?format=jpg&name=small

Until I saw that photo, I'd had no idea that Krauthammer was in a wheelchair. I just knew him as the pundit that conservatives of an older generation (like my dad) revered. I looked it up and learned that in his first year of medical school at Harvard, Krauthammer was in a swimming accident that left him largely paralyzed. Despite this, he found success as a psychiatrist and then as a political writer. "Still," I remember thinking, "how sad."

On June 25 of last year, I was living in Hong Kong. I got a FaceTime call shortly after midnight from my mom back home in North Carolina. I almost didn't answer. "Everything is okay, but your dad's been in an accident," she told me. My dad is now 56, but up until that point he had been pathologically active — in this case, he was surfing in Nicaragua. A wave had crashed on him and slammed him to the bottom. He quickly realized he couldn't move. To abbreviate a long story that's still very painful: after a 48-hour trip from the jungle to Managua to the neurosurgical hospital at UNC, my dad learned that he had broken his neck and severed his spinal cord. He was and remains paralyzed from the chest down; doctors told him very candidly that he'd never walk again. 

For my sisters and me, those first two weeks remain foggy — those memories are shrouded in a patina of grief, confusion, fear, and, in my case, jetlag (I'd flown back from Hong Kong once we realized the severity of the injury.) But what I do remember is the email Charles Krauthammer sent my dad. I'd like to share it here.

DgP-HYyUwAANNSk.jpgClick o to enlarge
DgP-JjqUEAAh4r9.jpg

There is no playbook for coping with spinal cord injuries. They're statistically rare. Support networks are limited at best. But in a year that has been defined by uncertainty and emotional exhaustion, that letter has meant the world to my dad and to us.
I guess I don't really care about his politics right now — there will be others to eulogize and critique. I'm writing this because Charles Krauthammer knew what to say at a time when virtually no one did, and he took the time to say it, and it meant so so much.

This is who Charles Krauthammer really was, someone who didn’t let anything stop him from being successful and living his life. We need more Charles’ in this world, don’t you think?

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

In October 2016, my dad met Krauthammer and Robert Reich at a thing in Washington. I'm not sure exactly what the thing was, but they chatted for awhile after. My dad's a geek for this stuff, so he got a photo and posted it to Instagram.
DgP7f4gVQAA2mRA?format=jpg&name=small

Until I saw that photo, I'd had no idea that Krauthammer was in a wheelchair.

Krauthammer in a wheelchair is almost as tall as Robert Reich

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

DgP-HYyUwAANNSk.jpg
DgP-JjqUEAAh4r9.jpg

There is no playbook for coping with spinal cord injuries. They're statistically rare. Support networks are limited at best. But in a year that has been defined by uncertainty and emotional exhaustion, that letter has meant the world to my dad and to us.

I guess I don't really care about his politics right now — there will be others to eulogize and critique. I'm writing this because Charles Krauthammer knew what to say at a time when virtually no one did, and he took the time to say it, and it meant so so much.

Wow. What an amazing thing to do for a man he briefly met one time, a year before.

• Like (+1) 2