California (again)

On 1/9/2020 at 4:29 PM, Dante said:

Every time I have the unfortunate opportunity to listen to this hag I think head trauma victim.  That aside, I think the best way to "save the country from peril" this weekend is to get her drunken a$$ to the game and leave us alone. 

She actually sounds more coherent talking football than she does talking policy. 

Edited by Chef Jim

BLUE STATE BLUES: 

California’s new gig worker law is disrupting the music industry and threatening all performing arts.

Under AB 5, we will be required to inform all U.S.-based musicians that they must now become employees of San Jose Jazz, or incorporate themselves before they will be allowed to perform for us.

If band leaders choose to pursue incorporation, they will then need to take on the responsibility of payroll and HR administration for the rest of their band.

In many performing arts disciplines, such as jazz, musicians are constantly reconfiguring line ups, performing as sidemen in various bands, and as one-time special guests for specific performances.

We will now be obliged to devote tremendous time and resources to constantly hiring, managing and tracking of musicians through this cumbersome process.

AB 5 unnecessarily complicates other work arrangements found in community cultural programming such as small festivals, neighborhood street fairs, parades and summer music series in our local parks.

San Jose Jazz is best known for producing our large Summer Fest which brings tens of thousands of visitors and requires hundreds of temporary roles to execute.

Getting what they voted for, good and hard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I still get these emails from Libby just to remind me why I moved back to the OC.  What a load.  So if they don't meet this mandate I think they should be automatically be removed from office. 

Last summer I was appointed by Gov. Gavin Newsom to his Council of Regional Homeless Advisors to tackle the most soul- and gut-wrenching crisis of our times.

As mayor, I encounter this moral outrage every day on Oakland’s streets. I’ve met senior citizens who sleep on cold concrete, rather than spend their golden years in comfort and dignity. I know a retired first-grade teacher and former neighbor who lost her home after an unexpected divorce and cancer diagnosis — so now must live in her car while undergoing medical treatments. I know hard-working parents who must walk their children to school past piles of debris and human waste.

Increases in untreated mental health and addictions have combined with a new surge in homelessness, propelled by skyrocketing housing costs that have dramatically outpaced earnings. Historically racist practices like redlining, exclusionary zoning and employment discrimination mean our African American neighbors suffer even more.

The Governor’s Homelessness Council released our initial recommendations Monday on how to attack this humanitarian crisis with the urgency of a natural disaster, as well as with the courage to reform the large systemic failures that got us here.

Our boldest recommendation: A legally enforceable mandate to end homelessness.

When change matters in America, we legally require it. We mandate it. From public education, to civil rights, to protecting our environment — it has taken a clear legal obligation for governments to produce lasting results.

Housing is a basic human need. It’s time for the state of California to step up with a mandate for accountability at all levels of government to make lasting progress toward ending homelessness.

A mandate to end homelessness would give Californians confidence that every level of government is doing what it can to solve the problem. It would start by more clearly assigning responsibilities to the various levels of government and require specific plans to reduce homelessness.

The mandate would require all local governments to fully utilize their existing land use authority and housing, addiction, social services and mental health dollars toward executing that plan and producing tangible results.

It would mean that if local governments aren’t meeting the mandate, the state would have the legal authority to force it upon them. And once existing resources are realigned and affirmed as the most effective and efficient use of funds, the state would have to strategically determine how to fill those gaps to meet our functional goal of zero homelessness.

This is different than a “right to shelter,” which prioritizes spending on shelter beds. The mandate to end homelessness would prioritize funding on preventing and permanently ending homelessness — not just removing it from public view for the night.

Adopting the mandate to end homelessness will help undo a systemic injustice that forces our neighbors to live without the basic human need of housing.

In Oakland, we are addressing this crisis in compassionate and innovative ways. To read more about all of our efforts – and to learn how you can join the effort – please visit oaklandhomelessresponse.com.

To read all of the Council's recommendations to the Governor, please click here.

Thank you,
Mayor Libby Schaaf

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I still get these emails from Libby just to remind me why I moved back to the OC.  What a load.  So if they don't meet this mandate I think they should be automatically be removed from office. 

...why the hell do you want to help people who have no interest in helping themselves?........how many are purely victims of themselves?......this society has become so twisted and effed up....ad nauseaum news how perpetrators of MAJOR crimes get portrayed as victims because "our society has failed them".....WTF happened to personal responsibility?...our lovely "Progressives" battle cry?...

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...why the hell do you want to help people who have no interest in helping themselves?........how many are purely victims of themselves?......this society has become so twisted and effed up....ad nauseaum news how perpetrators of MAJOR crimes get portrayed as victims because "our society has failed them".....WTF happened to personal responsibility?...our lovely "Progressives" battle cry?...

Ok it's a hell of a lot more complicated than that.  There are several levels of homlessness and a vast majority of them suffer from some sort of mental illness.  I consider drug and alcohol a mental illness and even those that prefer to live on the street have a mental illness problem.  You have to be mentally ill to sit on the street in all sorts of weather instead of getting a job.  So to say "hey just be personally responsible" to someone who does not have the mental wherewithal to do that is going to accomplish absolutely nothing.   Throwing money at "affordable" housing is not the solution.  Many of them will just trash it or say ***** that and continue on the street because that is their home.  Again a vast majority of them can't comprehend living anyplace else.  Do we scoop them all up and put them in mental institutions?  I don't know if I like that slippery slope.  We all sit here and go "the homeless issue is a problem"!  No ***** but the solution is very very difficult.  Living in CA it's something I've given a lot of thought to and it's a near impossible situation to solve.  Well there's ship them all off to Treasure Island in the SF Bay surround them with walls and gun turrets.  But that's just me.  And that's my solution on a good day. On a bad day?  Euthanize.  They serve no purpose.  ?

But seriously what is our Conservative battle cry?  Take care of yourself?  These people are not mentally capable.  

10 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

WTF does that letter even mean? We’ll fix it because we say so?

Oh I get her emails all the time.  It's like having a Kindergarten teacher as a mayor.  Ok children let's all learn to tie our shoes and sing songs.  Worst.....mayor......ever!!! 

Edited by Chef Jim

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok it's a hell of a lot more complicated than that.  There are several levels of homlessness and a vast majority of them suffer from some sort of mental illness.  I consider drug and alcohol a mental illness and even those that prefer to live on the street have a mental illness problem.  You have to be mentally ill to sit on the street in all sorts of weather instead of getting a job.  So to say "hey just be personally responsible" to someone who does not have the mental wherewithal to do that is going to accomplish absolutely nothing.   Throwing money at "affordable" housing is not the solution.  Many of them will just trash it or say ***** that and continue on the street because that is their home.  Again a vast majority of them can't comprehend living anyplace else.  Do we scoop them all up and put them in mental institutions?  I don't know if I like that slippery slope.  We all sit here and go "the homeless issue is a problem"!  No ***** but the solution is very very difficult.  Living in CA it's something I've given a lot of thought to and it's a near impossible situation to solve.  Well there's ship them all off to Treasure Island in the SF Bay surround them with walls and gun turrets.  But that's just me.  And that's my solution on a good day. On a bad day?  Euthanize.  They serve no purpose.  ?

....so states opting for budgetary cuts relative to relaxed mental hygiene sounds like a contribution to the problem....agree....but how many took advantage of available services pre-cutbacks?....

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so states opting for budgetary cuts relative to relaxed mental hygiene sounds like a contribution to the problem....agree....but how many took advantage of available services pre-cutbacks?....

You don't get it.  They didn't take advantage of available services because they don't know how.  They often think they're ok.  In their mind we're the crazy ones.  Do we force them into institutions?  Well I don't necessarily have an issue with that but I don't like the government having that control either.  Do we locate their families and have them institutionalize them?  It is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, problems we as a society faces now and it's because it's nearly impossible to solve with any level of compassion.  It's really really hard issue to solve.  

• Like (+1) 1

...pretty sure I do get "IT".....it's a woeful systemic failure of epic proportions.....just take the generic nomenclature of "Social Services".....undermanned, understaffed, qualifications of those in the system, case overloads, quality investigative time non-existent, insurmountable wait times so those in need walk away frustrated, etc.....you know the rest.....solution?.......NOT.........

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty sure I do get "IT".....it's a woeful systemic failure of epic proportions.....just take the generic nomenclature of "Social Services".....undermanned, understaffed, qualifications of those in the system, case overloads, quality investigative time non-existent, insurmountable wait times so those in need walk away frustrated, etc.....you know the rest.....solution?.......NOT.........

Seriously?  People with major alcohol and drug addictions or mental illnesses will typically not get help no matter how well staffed the services are.  I see it now.  Three homeless guys sitting in a park.  One a heroin addict, one an alcoholic, one a schizophrenic.  "Hey Joe let's go down to social services get some help"  "***** that Jerry.  Have you seen the lines?"  "What are you guys talking about?  We're cool.  It's those idiots with the stress of a job and mortgage that are crazy!"

Yes that is part of the problem but it is a LOT bigger than that.  Throw in the breakdown of the family unit.  Where are their families?  Sure many of their families have given up but some woefully too soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Well there's ship them all off to Treasure Island in the SF Bay surround them with walls and gun turrets.  But that's just me.  And that's my solution on a good day. On a bad day?  Euthanize.  They serve no purpose.  ?

Death Valley too good for you? ***** elitist.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Treasure Island is a lot closer. Hell they could walk across the bridge. Think of the savings in transportation costs. 

Eh, just build a high-speed rail lin... er nevermind.