Interesting developments in Italy

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Forced repatriation is not forced migration.  I'm thinking more of the uprooting of centuries-old communities on racial grounds...forced migrations of Alsatians, Swabians, Poles, Ukranians, Romanians, Germans, Russians, Belorussians, Serbs, Greeks, Italians, the remaining European Jewish population, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians, Finns, Slovaks...

I know, I can't put everything on a page that I'm aware of (actually some would argue i could....)

But even the US and UK troops crammed people onto trains to send them from free territory back to certain death.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

But even the US and UK troops crammed people onto trains to send them from free territory back to certain death.

Yes...but is forced repatriation ethnic cleansing?  When you're putting Russian POWs onto a train, who have only been in whatever location they've been in for four years, is that equivalent in intent of erasing Prussia from the map of Europe, and dispossessing all Prussians and giving all their assets and wealth over to the Poles?  

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yes...but is forced repatriation ethnic cleansing?  When you're putting Russian POWs onto a train, who have only been in whatever location they've been in for four years, is that equivalent in intent of erasing Prussia from the map of Europe, and dispossessing all Prussians and giving all their assets and wealth over to the Poles?  

it was a decision made by "high command" to send them back fully knowing their fate.

I don't condemn it or the poor blokes who had to physically carry it out.

war is horrible, even for the good side

The public turn on "high command" by the British people didn't take long.

I keep hearing that cultural diversity is a good thing.

I have yet to have anyone explain to me why it's a good thing.

I see lots of evidence that it leads directly to violence as two distinct and competing cultures compete for supremacy.

If we could manage to avoid the violence or the destruction of one cultures norms in deference to another, which has never happened on a wide scale, I could be persuaded that it's a neutral thing.

But I'd like to see evidence that it's objectively good.

Any takers?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Who isn’t in favor of more restaurant options? I won’t defend the negative things and I can’t prove it is a objectively good but freedom of religion is protected by the constitution and I believe diversity is a big part of America’s foundation.

1 minute ago, gatorbait said:

Who isn’t in favor of more restaurant options? I won’t defend the negative things and I can’t prove it is a objectively good but freedom of religion is protected by the constitution and I believe diversity is a big part of America’s foundation.

Can you demonstrate that cultural diversity was a "big part" of America's foundation?

11 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Can you demonstrate that cultural diversity was a "big part" of America's foundation?

Probably not well enough but I will try.

But first I need to ask are all white Europeans considered the same culture or does each European country have its own culture?

Edited by gatorbait

Much depends on the desire of the immigrant to assimilate. If there is no desire to assimilate then diversity is a bad thing. The whole reason we don't have one country called "Earth" has to do with the various cultures that have turned into countries.

9 minutes ago, gatorbait said:

But first I need to ask are all white Europeans considered the same culture or does each European country have its own culture?

Ethnicity =/ culture, though it can be a part of a culture.

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Ethnicity =/ culture, though it can be a part of a culture.

After thinking about it I’m wrong. I should have said over time diversity has become a foundation of the modern America we know today. The majority of free citizens when America was founded were obviously British and the mainstream culture most likely reflected that. The founders were skeptical if not downright prejudiced against immigrants and their different cultures as this Ben Franklin quote would suggest. 

Benjamin Franklin responded to German immigration into Pennsylvania by asking, “Why should the Palatine Boors [natives of a particular German region] be suffered to swarm into our Settlements, and by herding together establish their Language and Manners to the Exclusion of ours? Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion?” By the end of his life, however, Franklin repudiated his earlier views and lauded that German Americans had contributed to Pennsylvania and the new nation.

34 minutes ago, gatorbait said:

they see themselves as a distinct culture

you can sweep it into more general categories though

1 minute ago, gatorbait said:

After thinking about it I’m wrong. I should have said over time diversity has become a foundation of the modern America we know today. The majority of free citizens when America was founded were obviously British and the mainstream culture most likely reflected that. The founders were skeptical if not downright prejudiced against immigrants and their different cultures as this Ben Franklin quote would suggest. 

Benjamin Franklin responded to German immigration into Pennsylvania by asking, “Why should the Palatine Boors [natives of a particular German region] be suffered to swarm into our Settlements, and by herding together establish their Language and Manners to the Exclusion of ours? Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion?” By the end of his life, however, Franklin repudiated his earlier views and lauded that German Americans had contributed to Pennsylvania and the new nation.

You're comingling two separate ideas:

The concept of America as a melting pot which is best served by importing a controlled amount of immigrants over time, preserving our culture while adopting the best parts of theirs as our own; and that of a America as a cultural tapestry, which segregates, and leads to violence. 

20 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

You're comingling two separate ideas:

The concept of America as a melting pot which is best served by importing a controlled amount of immigrants over time, preserving our culture while adopting the best parts of theirs as our own; and that of a America as a cultural tapestry, which segregates, and leads to violence. 

that was a good idea for the first 3 or so years...

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

both, wasn't that obvious?

No, because that's an absurd observation.

Some level of immigration is a good thing for reasons cultural, genetic, economic, and technological.  The melting pot has served America well by delivering to us the worlds best and brightest on our terms, and making them and their progeny into Americans while siphoning off the best parts of the culture they came from and adding them to our own in order to enhance it.

10 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Diversity is bad and always has been. I don’t mean in terms of a color spectrum, I mean in terms of culture. Mixing cultures is bad. It doesn’t work. 

European colonialism and expansionism GUARANTEED Culture and race mixing. -Period. 

Human Diversity across cultural lines is a very large feline people are fruitlessly trying to shove back into a kitten-size bag.

Although explaining that to a group who, in 2018, are thrown by mixed couples in TV commercials is equally fruitless.

10 hours ago, The_Dude said:

The death in the first half of the 20th century proves my point. I rest my case there. 

What are you referring to here?

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Well, except for the Middle East. And the Balkans. And here, really. But otherwise, sure.

:lol: What has ever worked in the Middle east or Balkans?

7 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Sure...if you think European history began in 1990.  

Do you have any idea how much ethnic cleansing occurred between 1945-1949 in Central and Eastern Europe?  

Of course I do, you Idiot!  -This is post WWII Europe... A HUGE bird being carved among the Capitalists, and Commies!  -How may times have the boundaries of European (and asia minor) countries been drawn, re-drawn, and re-named since your beloved Byzantium/ Constantinople/Istanbul has been around? -Religious conversion, zealotism, and the politics of entitlement those generated caused it all to happen the way it did. -So if you're looking for a source, Jesus, and Mohamed is a good place to start.

Edited by #34fan

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Greece all over again? a Cypriut haricut in the offing?

Italian bonds suffer worst day in more than 25 years

oh and...not the, 'universal basic wage' thing again. is there a worse idea out there?

A small price to pay for reclaiming national identity from under the thumb of multinationals and globalists.