Bills' OTAs Week 2 (May 29-31) - Practice Open to the Media on Thursday

32 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why is the NFL football called The Duke?

The official football of the National Football League, made by Wilson Sporting Goods, is called “The Duke” after Wellington Mara, the beloved New York Giants owner who started as a ballboy with the team in 1925 and died at age 89 in 2005.

Named after the Duke of Wellington by his father, Giants founder Tim Mara, young Wellington got the nickname “The Duke” from Giants players.

According to a history of “The Duke” by Wilson, the NFL first used the ball in 1941.

Thanks. Sounds like what the NFL would call their balls

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect, but media credentials are super easy to get and are the lowest barometer of identifying someone as a real reporter.  Start a blog and get some followers and you can get the same media credentials...and you can buy your followers.  Hell, my network I started gets media credentials all the time and we haven't even launched the network yet.  

That being said, I have no frame of reference to claim this guy in question is or is not a "real" reporter...just pointing out media credentials are not the barometer to determine that.

Well then go get Bills OTA credentials, take a selfie with the players behind you and post it here.

38 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The official football of the National Football League, made by Wilson Sporting Goods, is called “The Duke” after Wellington Mara, the beloved New York Giants owner who started as a ballboy with the team in 1925 and died at age 89 in 2005.

Named after the Duke of Wellington by his father, Giants founder Tim Mara, young Wellington got the nickname “The Duke” from Giants players.

According to a history of “The Duke” by Wilson, the NFL first used the ball in 1941.

What's the short version of Wellington? Wellie? Well? Dubyuh?

47 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't want to make a big thing about this, but "the Duke" sounds kind of pompous. Since it's made by Wilson, how 'bout "the Willie"?  As in, Peterman was really slingin' the Willie out there today. Much nicer ring to it.

27 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Buffalo Bills OC Brian Daboll already showing experience, versatility in OTAs

As the offseason progresses for the Buffalo Bills, so does the installation of new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll’s scheme. It is an offense that will be much more diverse than what Buffalo ran under Daboll’s predecessor, Rick Dennison, in 2017. This year, the Bills’ system will likely feature a wide array of run and pass concepts that can be drastically different from week-to-week, based on their opponent. Daboll acknowledged this, stating that his scheme was ‘ever-changing.’

By Matthew Fairburn | mfairburn@nyup.com

Orchard Park, N.Y. - AJ McCarron isn't going away quietly. 

Sean McDermott insisted the Buffalo Bills will have an open quarterback competition, and McCarron is taking every opportunity he gets to inch his way toward securing the job. 

At the Bills' sixth OTA practice on Thursday, McCarron took all of the first-team reps, while Nathan Peterman worked with the second-team offense and Josh Allen once again was running the third team. McCarron didn't disappoint, either. 

No, his highs aren't quite as high as Josh Allen's, but his lows aren't as low, either. That showed up on Thursday when the Bills had their second open practice of the spring. Here's a blow-by-blow account of what we saw in chronological order from when practice started at 11 a.m.

12:42: Josh Allen's two-minute drill

Josh Allen needed two cracks at the two-minute drill. Working with the third-team offense, Allen threw an interception early on in his first drive. Breon Borders jumped in front of a deep Allen pass over the middle and camp down with the interception. Allen bounced back in his second try, though, tossing a touchdown to undrafted rookie Cam Phillips. He had only two incomplete passes on the second drive and one was a drop by Austin Proehl. He finished the day 12-of-18 passing by our count with the interception and the touchdown. Once again, Allen had both good and bad moments in practice but was able to end things on a high note. 

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

He is reporting on what happened at practice. Doesn’t that by definition, make him a reporter? 

It makes him someone with a twitter account who managed to get into the Bills practice. I used to be able to get in the Broncos practices. Big whup.

Bills rookie LB Tre Edmunds off to good start (1:53)

The Bills drafted linebacker Tremaine Edmunds in the first round because they think he can be a star. Talent and potential are elements that Edmunds is filled with, but what impresses coaches and teammates is his maturity and work ethic. Jenna Cottrell has the story from Orchard Park.

17 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Has there been anything negative on Allen besides that one pick? Also I know it sounds like I'm making excuses but it didn't seem like that big a deal to me. A pick during a two minute drill where you're trying to hustle down the field before time runs out is not all that surprising. Also to me interceptions seem like a natural part of practice especially during early days. I mean the focus for all the fans watching right now is obviously who makes the cut and earns a spot on the starting roster, but practice is for more than just that. Practice is the best place for the players to push their limits to see what they can do it counts. It's not like picks aren't a problem but early practices like this I'd really only be concerned if he was making the same mistakes repeatedly.

Finally, some insightful analysis on the amount of time it takes to "learn" how to play the QB position.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bills rookie LB Tre Edmunds off to good start (1:53)

The Bills drafted linebacker Tremaine Edmunds in the first round because they think he can be a star. Talent and potential are elements that Edmunds is filled with, but what impresses coaches and teammates is his maturity and work ethic. Jenna Cottrell has the story from Orchard Park.

Move The Sticks: Who is the next Brian Urlacher? (3:23)

Pretty high praise from Bucky Brooks.

I miss Astro’s notes.  I got more from his write-ups than any of the pros. 

There me was something special about the way he wrote. He set the mood, commenting on the atmosphere, weather and music. He noticed all the things that are exciting about training camp... the battles for the final roster spot, the play on the lines, the one-on-battles between CB’s and WR’s and how our QB’s looked. 

It it was the best training camp coverage I’ve ever read, and I wish professional writers were as professional. 

I understand Astro’s choice to spend his time as he chooses and wish him nothing but the best. 

We we miss you Astro.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/31/2018 at 11:33 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...POOR GUY........

Wyatt Teller's Taco Bell binges are probably over as he begins his Buffalo Bills career

Sal Maiorana, @salmaiorana Published 10:30 a.m. ET May 31, 2018

ORCHARD PARK — There was some playful banter that went on at the conclusion of the 2018 NFL Draft when Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane was informed of a comment made to reporters on a conference call by his fifth-round pick, Wyatt Teller.

The Virginia Tech offensive lineman said he was going to celebrate being given a chance by Buffalo to play in the NFL by going to Taco Bell and chowing down eight beefy Fritos burritos which, according to a Virginia Tech football message board, was a rather common occurrence for him during his days in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Beane laughed and said, “Whatever it takes, as long as he can play on Sunday and be an effective player, he can do what he wants.”

sounds like he will be still eating them

On 5/31/2018 at 7:55 PM, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I don't want to make a big thing about this, but "the Duke" sounds kind of pompous. Since it's made by Wilson, how 'bout "the Willie"?  As in, Peterman was really slingin' the Willie out there today. Much nicer ring to it.

Well, a "willie ring" is a thing, so...