Through Committee work, Kim Pegula earns respect of fellow NFL Owners

Logic

The way Terry & Kim have run the team since he purchased it,  it's obvious that she has been involved in Terry's Billion dollar business for a long time.  You don't handle a billion dollar business without knowing what the heck you are doing.

She isn't grading talent.  She isn't hiring scouts or coaches. She is handling the business side of a football team, the same way she handled business for her family's Billion dollar empire for the last few decades.

Whether it's football or gas, business is business.  With that being said, she doesn't seem to be the type of person who is going into this thinking she knows it all.  The billionaires surround themselves with smart people who know the business extremely well, and utilize their feedback as part of their decision-making process.  Nor is this her first rodeo of making tough, pressure filled decisions that can affect the future of a billion dolllar business or franchise. 

So it's not a surprise to hear the owners say this.  You can make a point that "what else are the other executives going to say about her?"  To me this is seeing the glass half empty. Based on the business acumen and immense success of the family, I would tend to believe they are speaking honestly.

Good post.  I might guess they have an Idea about how that stuff all works.
and honest personalities  is something they just seem to exude. I am likely biased though. I like them so far. quite a bit  : )

Edited by 3rdand12

On 5/26/2018 at 10:53 AM, Logic said:

Really? NOTHING?

The glowing endorsements from multiple respected NFL owners -- not only praising her but going into detail and providing more than was asked -- does not a single thing for you?

Okay then. To each their own.

There was not one mention of imposing PSLs or holding wine and cheese parties with open bar so not surprised.  Some just have different priorities.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

There was not one mention of imposing PSLs or holding wine and cheese parties with open bar so not surprised.  Some just have different priorities.

I’ve been pretty clear on my desire for a new stadium. It is nice on the road to not have people urinating in the sinks, passed out in the concourse or throwing up on the people in front of them. I would be willing to pay more for a better environment. I guess that makes me a bad fan...

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been pretty clear on my desire for a new stadium. It is nice on the road to not have people urinating in the sinks, passed out in the concourse or throwing up on the people in front of them. I would be willing to pay more for a better environment. I guess that makes me a bad fan...

Yes none of that is correctable without a new stadium barely attended due to prices.

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

people really still do that ?

glad i quit going to games decades ago then

37 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes none of that is correctable without a new stadium barely attended due to prices.

I watched half of the stadium in Jacksonville filled with Bills fans. Between flights, hotels, food and tickets it had to be $1,000 per person per game. There were 10-20k Bills fans in Atlanta and Carolina as well. I don’t believe that it’s unreasonable at all to pay $100 to $200 a ticket (downstairs) like everyone else in the league does. I don’t for one second think that would equate to a “barely attended stadium.”  A nice 65,000 seat stadium would be a great start.

A new stadium comes with a clean slate and a culture change. That isn’t to say that tailgating and everything will go away. That is a part of our traditions. Perhaps people getting chokeslammed through flaming tables or throwing bottles at opposing fans will change though? 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

On 5/26/2018 at 11:33 AM, musichunch said:

What I read was a bunch of vague praise. She's a member of a bunch of committees, she's "involved", she has a "voice". In my business career I've worked with many people who were a member of every little thing and always had something to say (rarely of value) and sometimes they were even listened to, but it never meant they needed to be any higher than low-level or mid-level positions. I've yet to see anything to show that Kim Pegula has earned that position other than being comfortable hanging out around other billionaires.

She seems ambitious and motivated, even pushy. All good, most of the time. But again, those qualities are supplementary to wisdom, experience, level-headedness, shrewdness, etc. From what I've seen, I have not seen anything to tell me she has earned this position in any way other than being Terry Pegula's wife. Seeing as how incompetent Pegula is as a sports owner and talent evaluator, I have big concerns about Kim Pegula. 

Ummm....wow....glad you stopped by. There's a kid in a wheelchair that needs to be pushed off the back of a moving bus, want to volunteer? The pay is crap, but the joy in your heart does wonders.

First, we don't know her true value yet...that's fair. But, when you say she's earned nothing and that any such respect is only due to being Terry's wife, I'm not sure there's a more provincial cold take on this board....It's pretty well-documented that she and Terry run their businesses as a partnership and she has a strong voice in many of them. Now, as to being "incompetent" sports owners....I find such a statement to disqualify any other comment you make to be worth a scintilla of time. Hard to believe people such as yourself, find the joy in getting up in the morning with such a dark and melancholy outlook. Be brave...take the positive and run with it. It's easy being negative....it's much harder to see the good. And, the Pegulas (yes, that includes Kim, sorry but it does) erred on the side of caution and let people earn their way out of jobs when they took over the franchise. They didn't want to be rash or rush to judgment....so, they figured it out as they went. And, there are some good things pointing to both franchises moving in the right direction.

But hey, there's an old lady trying to cross the street, she could really use a violent hip check to put her in her place and let her know, the street belongs to the young and if you can't make it across the road in under 5 seconds, you don't deserve to be outside.....maybe you could pitch in? We need good people like yourself for jobs like these. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/26/2018 at 4:12 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Without being overly negative what would you expect these other owner’s to say? “We think that Kim is incompetent. She’s totally over her head and has been a disaster. No one listens to a word she says.” This is article does nothing to influence opinions on Kim’s qualifications.

With that being said there is an interesting perspective that she can provide. We always think of the voice that she can bring as a woman. That goes without saying. One thing that is overlooked is that the Pegula’s are regular people. They were once season ticket holders. They eat fast food. Their kids listen to hip-hop. I’m comfortable in saying that Kim Pegula is the most “regular” person in that room. Her perspective is way more modern and empathizes with the fans.

These committees are formed and try to do what they think is in the league’s best interest. The problem is that those guys are all old, out-of-touch, curmudgeons. When was the last time Bob McNair waited in line for a hot dog? Kim can relate to the consumers in a way that the rest of the NFL owners couldn’t dream of. 

Only one out of the three people quoted in the OP are owners if I’m not mistaken . The other two are executives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 8:38 AM, BigBuff423 said:

Ummm....wow....glad you stopped by. There's a kid in a wheelchair that needs to be pushed off the back of a moving bus, want to volunteer? The pay is crap, but the joy in your heart does wonders.

First, we don't know her true value yet...that's fair. But, when you say she's earned nothing and that any such respect is only due to being Terry's wife, I'm not sure there's a more provincial cold take on this board....It's pretty well-documented that she and Terry run their businesses as a partnership and she has a strong voice in many of them. Now, as to being "incompetent" sports owners....I find such a statement to disqualify any other comment you make to be worth a scintilla of time. Hard to believe people such as yourself, find the joy in getting up in the morning with such a dark and melancholy outlook. Be brave...take the positive and run with it. It's easy being negative....it's much harder to see the good. And, the Pegulas (yes, that includes Kim, sorry but it does) erred on the side of caution and let people earn their way out of jobs when they took over the franchise. They didn't want to be rash or rush to judgment....so, they figured it out as they went. And, there are some good things pointing to both franchises moving in the right direction.

But hey, there's an old lady trying to cross the street, she could really use a violent hip check to put her in her place and let her know, the street belongs to the young and if you can't make it across the road in under 5 seconds, you don't deserve to be outside.....maybe you could pitch in? We need good people like yourself for jobs like these. 

I'm actually a very positive guy, but I hit hard when I see something that needs to be said. So I'm discounting your first and last paragraphs. I don't like the way the Pegulas run their sports business, and besides McDermott which they struck gold with, have been awful at hiring the right people at every level. They also take too long to throw out the trash. A sign of poor instincts. 

What does "well-documented" mean? What's been written in fluff pieces? Again, we don't know if it's lip service or not and in the PR game, it sounds like lip service to me. What does "partnership" mean? Is she a secretary? Does she crunch numbers? Does she make macro decisions? Can she manage people? What the hell is this person good at? She's a "member of things", she has a "voice". Get out of here. I got a bridge to sell you. 

I care about this city and the sports teams, and I won't be silenced if I smell a bad odor. And I don't like you accusing me of being the kind of person to "hip check" old ladies. You don't know me, and you don't know my character. Your cutesy way of arguing is lame and disrespectful, and frankly passive aggressive. You wrote 3 paragraphs and made maybe 1 or 2 points.