New Helmet Rule & Changes to Kickoffs Adopted

Feeling better about the boy not being on kickoff and I'm hoping they don't put him on kick return this year.   He's always on the front line as he's a lineman, but still.   I'll be happy when High school football is over and his playing days are done. 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

So I heard on the radio that a guy in Toronto had no history of concussions but had cte. Wonder if that will change what we think the cause is? 

I have no history of concussions either but I can think of at least 2 times where I have gotten my bell rung and one of them knocked me out cold.  I was never diagnosed with concussions but I'm pretty sure I've had a few.  

Personally I don't think it matters that it is CTE or anything else.  These players quality of life is much poorer than after playing other sports.  It is a violent game that will never be totally safe but that doesn't mean strides can't be taken each year to try and make it safer.  It only makes sense to allow the game to continue to grow and be accepted.  I'm  a hypocrite though I love highlight hits lol.  You got jacked up was one of my favorite segments for football highlights.

45 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The targeting rule seems to work reasonably well in college football. How does this differ, if at all?

it is applied very inconsistently and grossly unfair in college

Terry McAulay: New kickoff rules “may be the biggest change” I’ve ever seen

NFL officials will be in Dallas for a clinic this weekendand the work done to get them ready to call the league’s new rules regarding helmet use will be a major topic.

It’s not the only big rules change in store for the 2018 season, however. The league has also revised the rules for kickoffs to alter where players line up prior to the kick, eliminate wedge blocking and change when players on the return team are allowed to initiate blocks.

Former NFL referee Terry McAulay, who retired this offseason and took a rules analyst job with NBC, will attend the clinic and said that potential issues implementing the kickoff changes shouldn’t be downplayed.

More “minor” changes could still be coming to kickoff rules

The NFL may not be finished fiddling with kickoffs.

According to Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com, the league said there may be additional changes to this year’s new rules about kickoffs, which they’re trying to make safer.

A league spokesman said any additional changes would be “minor,” but the fact they’re still adjusting just before training camp starts is still a bit startling.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

More “minor” changes could still be coming to kickoff rules

The NFL may not be finished fiddling with kickoffs.

According to Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com, the league said there may be additional changes to this year’s new rules about kickoffs, which they’re trying to make safer.

A league spokesman said any additional changes would be “minor,” but the fact they’re still adjusting just before training camp starts is still a bit startling.

just ban the kickoff altogether unless a team announces it is attempting an onside kick

it's practically a non-factor now on a regular kickoff

or introduce what the CFL has with the option of taking the ball at your 35 (or some agreed on spot) instead of a kickoff, don't laugh....

Edited by row_33

Just now, row_33 said:

just ban the kickoff altogether unless a team announces it is attempting an onside kick

it's practically a non-factor now on a regular kickoff

No! It's called football for a reason and the potential for greater returns is there with no running start for coverage teams.

On July 10, 2018 at 9:06 AM, aristocrat said:

So I heard on the radio that a guy in Toronto had no history of concussions but had cte. Wonder if that will change what we think the cause is? 

Some research has shown that the players most at risk for CTE are linemen, b/c they are subjected to "small" collisions on every single play.  I think some would suggest many small impacts leads to CTE as much or more than the big lit up head shot that the NFL is trying to avoid with changed special teams rules.

• 2 weeks later...

NFL releases fact sheet on new helmet rule

According to the fact sheet, the penalties for a violation include a loss of 15 yards or ejection, which includes a set of standards:

1. Player lowers his helmet to establish a linear body posture prior to initiating and making contact with the helmet.

2. Unobstructed path to his opponent.

3. Contact clearly avoidable and player delivering the blow had other options.

Click here to read the full fact sheet, which includes links to educational video, on the new helmet rule.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Terrible!

Forget the anthem protests, this will ruin the NFL.

There will not be one single kid growing up who will wanna play D.

And I bet you there will be a defensive player who will walk off the field in protest when he gets flagged for a clean tackle.

I would eliminate the kick off and replace it with the "Schiano Rule" awhile back Schiano proposed that instead of a kickoff the ball be placed on the the 35 yardline and the team that just scored be given the ball on a 4th and 15. The team can elect to punt (which is a safer play than a kickoff and still preserves special teams or instead of an onsides kick (which is an ugly random play) the team can go for it on that 4th down. 

My only modification to the rule would be make it a 4th and 20 since the odds of converting a 4th and 15 is roughly 20% while recovering an expected onsides kick is 5.9%. I think adding 5 more yards puts the conversion rate well below 10%, still above an onsides kick a much closer margin. It makes too much sense to replace the kickoff with a 4th and 20 in my opinion. It makes the onsides kick process much closer to a real play while replacing kickoffs with punts which are safer and more dynamic. 

On 8/12/2018 at 2:02 PM, njbuff said:

Forget the anthem protests, this will ruin the NFL.

There will not be one single kid growing up who will wanna play D.

And I bet you there will be a defensive player who will walk off the field in protest when he gets flagged for a clean tackle.

The worst part about that clip is that the runner put his head down. They changed the rule stating that a runner leading with his head would get a penalty but they don't seem to be calling it a lot and now this new rule is just putting even more burden on the defense to be safe while runners are almost being rewarded for lowering their heads (increasing the possibility of drawing a penalty.)