One thing is for sure...Beane and McD are NOT conservative

On 4/27/2018 at 1:00 PM, hondo in seattle said:

I really didn't want Allen but it's hard to fault Beane for moving on from TT's mediocrity, signing Mccarron as a safety net,  and then 'swinging for the fences' with Allen.

Why trade up to draft a QB that has a lower ceiling?  We've dealt with mediocrity, attempt to get greatness.

There are two aspects in judging the wisdom of a draft pick:

1)  How was the player obtained?

2)  How good is the player?

When it comes to the first aspect, I think that Brandon Beane played his cards very well.  I believe he found the sweet spot, where he wasn't forced to give up everything to land his guy.  But he also didn't get cold feet at the price (yes, he gave up more than the draft chart calls for) and end up missing out on the player he really wanted.  For example, imagine what we would have needed to trade in order to outbid the #3 pick from the Colts a month ago.  Imagine if we didn't pull the trigger at pick #7, and then Arizona took our target.

Of course, none of this will matter in 6-9 months.  Josh Allen will ultimately be judged by his on-field performance.  Fans are never going to forgive Beane if Josh Rosen turns out to be a better QB.  Fans are going to second-guess whether he should have moved higher, depending on how good Sam Darnold turns out.  And even though Beane wasn't here for the 2017 draft, it's going to be ugly in Western NY if Allen is an inferior QB to either Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, BillsEnthusiast said:

My ultimate nightmare scenario was staying pat at 12, taking BPA, and then taking nice, benign Mason Rudolph at 22. That is what a conservative coach would have done. 

But, no, Beane and McDermott swung for the fences with the ultimate boom or bust QB prospect. He played his cards pretty damn well, and while I would rather have Rosen, you cannot deny that Allen could be a monster with a little tweaking. 

Edmunds is just going to be so good, too. Just so good. 

All in all, while I am still pretty sad we picked the other Josh, I am pleased that the FO is not sitting on their hands. 

In general, I agree with the tenor of your comment. The McBeane regime was pretty transparent since taking over that they were going to accumulate chips and use them to get a high end prospect.  Right from the start they made a non-disguised declaration that the priority entering the draft was to be in a position to get a premium qb prospect. And if it required the trading of picks to accomplish their priority they were willing to do that. That' exactly what they did. 

The portion where I disagree with you is that I don't consider Josh Allen a boom or bust prospect. If he doesn't rise to being a very good franchise qb that doesn't mean that he won't be a good franchise qb. What's telling to me about his prospects is that he was high on all the teams' boards who were in a focused pursuit to get a qb. The team that selected Rosen tried to outbid us not to get Rosen but to get Allen. What I'm stressing is that he is far from being a boom or bust prospect. In my opinion over time at the minimum  he should develop into a capable starting qb.

For those who are agreeing with you that they are happy that the Bills acted boldly instead of conservatively when they selected Allen that's what this pick represents. By selecting Allen and  bypassing the more polished Rosen and safer pick they acted with a calculated boldness that seems to appeal to you. 

On 4/27/2018 at 12:47 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Jeremy White on WGR is the guy banging the drum the loudest that the Bills shouldn't play it safe and swing for the fences. He even said he wouldn't care if the Bills pick was a bust as long as the Bills made bold moves. Well, listen to Jeremy this morning....

Isn't he that radio personality with multiple personality disorders?

On 4/27/2018 at 9:50 AM, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

Because they picked the wrong damn player.

Except you don’t know that.  If you did, you would be an NFL GM or Scout.  Or better yet, you’d be retired and so rich from winning every lotto and being right about every early stock because you can predict the future.

Just cracks me up all the arm chair GMs here who have declared Allen a bust before he’s stepped on an NFL field.  You guys don’t have even a fraction of the information the Bills do on this kid.  And even if you had all the same thousand and thousand of hours of research, interviews and data on these prospects that teams have, you would not have any where near the knowledge, skill, or ability to decipher it.  

Does that hat mean the Bills were right and you were wrong.  NOPE.  It means to sit here and DECLARE yourself to be right and the Bills to be wrong off of your limited ability to evaluate on pitifully small amounts of data is a ridiculous waste of time.

Was Allen my first choice?  Nope.  But he also has a ton of potential and I am excited to see what the Bills saw in him when the pads go on.  All this b*tching and moaning right now is just a colossal waste of time because you have no idea if this kid will be a bust or great.  He’s an exciting prospect, nothing more nothing less until he steps on the field and shows the world what he really is.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:50 PM, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

Because they picked the wrong damn player.

They didn't want him because he's a tennis guy!Actually,they did him and us a favor,because he would not have like this Buffalo weather for real.

On 4/27/2018 at 11:23 AM, jeremy2020 said:

What analytics are being ignored? Could you post the stats that indicate QB success in the NFL that Rosen/Allen have/don't have?

Just about ALL of them.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/5/17046116/2018-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-josh-allen-sam-darnold-projections-hype

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2018 at 1:36 PM, SouthNYfan said:

Meh.

All 4 were a risk.

Absolutely, but most would agree that there were degrees of risk with each of the 4, and that Allen carries the highest degree of risk.  I'm also of the opinion that he has the highest upside because of his physical traits.  That's why it was a swing for the fences.  I'll tell you in a few years if it's a risk Beane should have taken.  LOL

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Absolutely, but most would agree that there were degrees of risk with each of the 4, and that Allen carries the highest degree of risk.  I'm also of the opinion that he has the highest upside because of his physical traits.  That's why it was a swing for the fences.  I'll tell you in a few years if it's a risk Beane should have taken.  LOL

I think it's a worthy risk, even if he fails.

It's a home run swing at the most important position in the game.

If he connects, it's a team that's set 15 years.

If he fails, well, try again soon.

I think he did a really good job with the first round!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2018 at 12:51 PM, BuffaloRush said:

You are spot on about this.  I didn’t like the Allen pick and wanted Rosen.  But I did appreciate the fact that Beane went up and got th QB that he wanted.  

Your point about Jeremy White was perfect.  He has repeatedly said that the Bills need to get a QB and not play it safe.  This morning he’s complaining that we traded too much.  It’s lame. 

There's a big difference between trading up and swinging for the fences versus just being stupid in the amount your giving up being too much. If this is lost on you, then you just have some weird hate, maybe jealously of WGR hosts.

He said the same thing about the Sabres. He's fine with trading up, but when teams know you have assets they'll ask for more. You have to say no at some point and work it down. The gave up an insane amount to move up to 7 and look like fools from just a trade of picks for doing so. That's excluding the Allen portion of it.

8 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I'm definitely a Beane supporter, and I support the decision to draft Josh Allen, but if Allen doesn't develop, it could be a tough few years for McDermott and Beane.

It will be the only few years for McDermott and Beane.

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

There's a big difference between trading up and swinging for the fences versus just being stupid in the amount your giving up being too much. If this is lost on you, then you just have some weird hate, maybe jealously of WGR hosts.

He said the same thing about the Sabres. He's fine with trading up, but when teams know you have assets they'll ask for more. You have to say no at some point and work it down. The gave up an insane amount to move up to 7 and look like fools from just a trade of picks for doing so. That's excluding the Allen portion of it.

It will be the only few years for McDermott and Beane.

LOL You know he was asked to include either the second first rounder this year or our first next year and he said no. You won't give him credit for that evidently though.

They've changed the culture already at 1 Bills Dr. made the playoffs and you say they will be only a few years here huh. Wow that's some impressive insight and I read it right here first. Fools as you call them for sure.

1 minute ago, beerme1 said:

LOL You know he was asked to include either the second first rounder this year or our first next year and he said no. You won't give him credit for that evidently though.

They've changed the culture already at 1 Bills Dr. made the playoffs and you say they will be only a few years here huh. Wow that's some impressive insight and I read it right here first. Fools as you call them for sure.

How do we know that? Go have another one.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

4 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Beane said it in one of his interviews yesterday. Go have another one. Great!

Well I missed it. I was wrong, so I'll give him credit for not making what would have been an even more terrible trade just from the stand point of pick values. I'm not trying to include Allen in the judgment of the trade at all.

It still doesn't make it a good trade. I'd love to sell you a car. Sticker price 100k, then I'll just work down to 50k on a car that should go for 30k on the market. 

So here you go, I give you credit beane for not trading away a 1st to move up 5 spots. Now we should all just be happy. I mean what is your point here? It wasn't a bad trade because he rejected an obscenely retarded trade? Whatever man.