Tip of the Day

6 minutes?

How the hell am I supposed to wait 6 minutes for a beer?!

Take the same cooler but forget the salt. Drop a beer in it and spin it (like a drillbit, not a 'copter rotor) and it will be cold in about 20-30 seconds.

Then you can use the salt to put in your beer like some of the old steelworkers still do in the mill bars.

Cya

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It a combination of time, temperature, and chemicals that interfere with aqueous crystallization. :)

274238[/snapback]

I said the same thing, but she didnt buy it. She said, "Dont worry, it happens to every guy sometime..."

Sigh. Darn aqueous crystallization. <_<

6 minutes?

How the hell am I supposed to wait 6 minutes for a beer?!

Take the same cooler but forget the salt. Drop a beer in it and spin it (like a drillbit, not a 'copter rotor) and it will be cold in about 20-30 seconds.

Then you can use the salt to put in your beer like some of the old steelworkers still do in the mill bars.

Cya

274828[/snapback]

yep, the spinning method works, and then you don't end up with a salty beer can...

My granfather still salts his beer. Never tried it... i think he said it cuts down the carbination, had nothing to do with the taste... I don't know.

Unleashing a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher on your beer cans will cool them pronto. Adiabatic cooling - that's how air conditioning works. A phase change from liquid to gas requires energy - which it obtains from the surroundings. That is why the body sweats; the liquid takes heat from the body as it evaporates - and that production of sweat is why the cuisines in the hotter climates include spices that make the body sweat. Another example is the application of rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) to your skin - you are cooled as it changes phase from solid to liquid.

wouldnt making the water temperature 22 degrees F make it very difficult to get your beers out of the cooler?

Surprised I am the first to catch AD on the fact that the water would be frozen at that temp. 

adding a soluble solid, such as table salt, will dissolve in water and will increase the boiling poing of water (one reason for adding salt to pasta water) or to lower the freezing point of water (road salt on black ice makes water). The more salt you put in will have more of an effect, as sds shows in his formula. AD's 22 degrees is a funtion of the ambient air temperature, the cooler's effectiveness, and the amount of salt added to the water. Now, if the air temp is below 22, then the water will get below 22, depending on how much salt is added. As for me, i throw the beer in the freezer for a good half an hour. The freezer goes around 0 degrees farenheit, so i'll have a couple slow drinks then remove the rest for the fridge and it's ice cold.

Freezing Point Depression:

A colligative property that the freezing point  of a solution is lowered  by the concentration m of solute (measured in molals) according to:

deltaT=Km

where K is the molal freezing point depression. For water,

K[H2O] = 1.86 deg C/molal

274689[/snapback]

Just a minor revision to your colligative properties formula SDS. You have to take into account the number of ions produced by the dissolution of the solute, represented by "i". This is usually 2 in the case of table salt, one sodium and one chloride per mole. Sugar doesn't work as well as salt becuase while the crystal lattice dissolved in water, no ionization occurs, therefore "i" remains 1. The revised formula is:

Delta T = k * m * i

Alternatively, you could just use liquid N2 to cool things down REAL quick like <_<

Just a minor revision to your colligative properties formula SDS. You have to take into account the number of ions produced by the dissolution of the solute, represented by "i". This is usually 2 in the case of table salt, one sodium and one chloride per mole. Sugar doesn't work as well as salt becuase while the crystal lattice dissolved in water, no ionization occurs, therefore "i" remains 1. The revised formula is:

Delta T = k * m * i

Alternatively, you could just use liquid N2 to cool things down REAL quick like <_<

275455[/snapback]

I think that is implicit in the "m" as it states it is the molal concentration of the solute. Since NaCl separates into Na and Cl ions then the molal factor is increased by 2.

Another example is the application of rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) to your skin  - you are cooled as it changes phase from solid to liquid.

275331[/snapback]

Hey honey can you rub the brick of alcohol on my back? <_<

They actually make a liquid version now. Try it, you'll like it.

The Chem 101 lessons bring back memories. Applying this principle to beer however is often a waste of time. The colder you chill beer the less you can taste of it. Beers most often marketed as best enjoyed "ice cold" (Coors, Bud, Miller etc.) have little to no flavor to lose in the first place. While quality beers that are worth their salt <_< are meant to be enjoyed in to 40 to 50 F range.

The Chem 101 lessons bring back memories.  Applying this principle to beer however is often a waste of time.  The colder you chill beer the less you can taste of it.  Beers most often marketed as best enjoyed "ice cold" (Coors, Bud, Miller etc.) have little to no flavor to lose in the first place.  While quality beers that are worth their salt  :)  are meant to be enjoyed in to 40 to 50 F range.

275487[/snapback]

Yep you are right. But I drink Milwaukee Ice @ $10 bucks a case so it doesn't matter at all. <_<

I think that is implicit in the "m" as it states it is the molal concentration of the solute. Since NaCl separates into Na and Cl ions then the molal factor is increased by 2.

275460[/snapback]

I'll have a van't Hoff lager . Bud for my friend. <_<

Well, the next time you can get 60,000 + people to stand up and scream after accomplishing photosynthesis...

275480[/snapback]

Well actually the scientists themselves dont accomplish photosynthesis. In any case, if there were no photosynthesis they would not be able to scream in the first place.

The Chem 101 lessons bring back memories.  Applying this principle to beer however is often a waste of time.  The colder you chill beer the less you can taste of it.  Beers most often marketed as best enjoyed "ice cold" (Coors, Bud, Miller etc.) have little to no flavor to lose in the first place.  While quality beers that are worth their salt  :)  are meant to be enjoyed in to 40 to 50 F range.

275487[/snapback]

You're absolutely right. When I gave this tidbit, it was with the "piss drinkers" in mind. <_<

275460[/snapback]

I realize we may be splitting hairs here, but molal concentration is a separate entity than the number of ions produced per mole, as molality is defined as moles of solute per kilogram solvent. No matter the number of ions produced by dissociation, the concentration of each remains the same. THe ionic strength of solution would change, but that is a story for another day.

If you use sodium sulfate, you would theoretically depress freezing point even further. There are two sodiums per sulfate ion, so "i" is 3.