Tip of the Day

I realize we may be splitting hairs here, but molal concentration is a separate entity than the number of ions produced per mole, as molality is defined as moles of solute per kilogram solvent. No matter the number of ions produced by dissociation, the concentration of each remains the same. THe ionic strength of solution would change, but that is a story for another day.

If you use sodium sulfate, you would theoretically depress freezing point even further. There are two sodiums per sulfate ion, so "i" is 3.

275666[/snapback]

You'd had me up until 'I' ....

:rolleyes:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize we may be splitting hairs here, but molal concentration is a separate entity than the number of ions produced per mole, as molality is defined as moles of solute per kilogram solvent. No matter the number of ions produced by dissociation, the concentration of each remains the same. THe ionic strength of solution would change, but that is a story for another day.

If you use sodium sulfate, you would theoretically depress freezing point even further. There are two sodiums per sulfate ion, so "i" is 3.

275666[/snapback]

bah, thats kids science...;) i taught stuff tougher than that :rolleyes:

bah, thats kids science...;) i taught stuff tougher than that ;)

275722[/snapback]

Part of my requirements in graduate school was to be a chemistry tutor for general chem and organic. Most of the freshmen chem students understood the chemistry concepts fairly well, but had almost ZERO understanding of algebra. Very sad. I actually tried for almost five minutes to convince this one girl that:

1+ X - X was equal to 1. :rolleyes::(

Part of my requirements in graduate school was to be a chemistry tutor for general chem and organic. Most of the freshmen chem students understood the chemistry concepts fairly well, but had almost ZERO understanding of algebra. Very sad. I actually tried for almost five minutes to convince this one girl that:

1+ X - X was equal to 1.    :rolleyes:  ;)

275755[/snapback]

Boy o boy...I had no anger when I got my first Nobel Prize...