Nightmare scenario: Josh Allen?

KDIGGZ

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

I know that statistics don't lie and can't be fudged. Only opinions can.

I have zero authority on the matter, but anyone who looks at the stats I linked to and believes math is no longer a science, just doesn't understand reality.

Allen could turn out to be the exception to the rule, but that doesn't change the fact that the rule exists and it has proven to be very reliable as a predictor of success.

Those who attacked me as a troll are missing the point. It's not my opinion that he is unlikely to work out. It's the "opinion" of mathematics.

If that makes people angry or upset with me is unimportant to me. Your gripe is with math. 

It's amazing to me that anyone can read that article and be confident on how this will play out well. I also realize that at least some of those who ridiculed the posted stats never read them, because it's a long and in-depth analysis, that some didn't have the time to read before dismissing it, so those folks are phonies.

Like everyone else, I hope it's wrong on Allen, but experience teaches that the favorite comes in way more than the longshot.

Nope.  It's not math, it's proper use of statistics.  And since football is almost the definition of a multivariate function picking one thing like completion percentage has little meaning.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Nope.  It's not math, it's proper use of statistics.  And since football is almost the definition of a multivariate function picking one thing like completion percentage has little meaning.

Your point would be valid if that was the only stat cited in the linked article. It makes me wonder if you read it, because there are many different kinds of stats cited.

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Your point would be valid if that was the only stat cited in the linked article. It makes me wonder if you read it, because there are many different kinds of stats cited.

Well, yes I did look at it.  And to properly analyze such information sophisticated multivariate analysis would need to be done.  

Football is the ultimate in multiple variables.  What is the quality of your receivers, the quality of your protection schemes?  What type of offense is run?  Quality of defenses?

I picked completion percentage because so many people harp on this.  It stands to reason that completion percentages have increased over the years since so many college teams have gone to spread offenses. Receivers are more open, and QB have an easy time completing passes.  Allen as I understand it played in more of a pro style offense.  As did Rosen I believe, and I wanted Rosen as our pick because I feel he's farther advanced.  Andceven with both playing a similar style, there are still dozens of variables to consider when trying to compare.

We will see how Allen does.  They key for him, really for any QB coming into the league, is whether they can process things such that the game slows down.  Some compare Allen to JP; JP could never adjust mentally to the NFL; he couldn't get the game to slow down.  Hopefully Allen does.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2018 at 9:25 AM, sleeby said:

Here, I think many here may be well advised to brush up on this ahead of thursday:

• Shock. ...
  • Denial. ...
  • Anger. ...
  • Bargaining. ...
  • Grieving. ...
  • Acceptance.

Where does being so convinced he's going to be a bust that you start looking at 2019 top QB prospects shortly after Allen was taken fit?

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Where does being so convinced he's going to be a bust that you start looking at 2019 top QB prospects shortly after Allen was taken fit?

Sounds like bargaining to me.  You're probably bargaining with the situation as " well, AJ is starting this year anyhow and we do still need more OL and WR adds yet so between Allen, N8 P and the guy we get in round 1 next spring something will bear fruit before the rest of the squad is ready to commence kicking ass."

Mind you, these are not.my thoughts.  I was pissed in the moment but then seeing Rosen act like a thin skinned and spoiled turd before and after he was drafted at 10 I realized we had dodged a bullet there.