4-24: Trent Dilfer Talks 2018 Draft QBs on WGR

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure thing? Which one is that? 

-the twice concussed bratty statue guy? 

You mean Tom Brady? No he's not in this draft. But Josh Rosen is and he's the best pocket passer since Andrew Luck

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Clearly you are feeling some kind of butt hurt when I did no such thing because all I pointed out was that there would be no changes to the coaching staff.  Sorry you feel aggrieved. 

Not hurt at all.   Just pointing out that you should stick with Twitter feeds and not offer up opinions. 

Just now, GG said:

Not hurt at all.   Just pointing out that you should stick with Twitter feeds and not offer up opinions. 

That's exactly what you are feeling as evidenced by this tired line. I knew it was just a matter of time. I know better next time not to even bother responding to your butt hurt silliness. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's exactly what you are feeling as evidenced by this tired line. I knew it was just a matter of time. I know better next time not to even bother responding to your butt hurt silliness. 

Truth hurts, don't it?

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

every time I hear how Lamar Jackson would need an offense built around him I think of how the Bills have a blank slate on offense, with almost no penciled in starters

There is no "system" yet, so there's nothing to disrupt

We should call you the detective instead of that other imposter?

18 minutes ago, the skycap said:

We should call you the detective instead of that other imposter?

I was sitting there in the car one morning last week on the 33 staring at the concrete walls and wondering if I was ever going to get to work, and suddenly I heard that on NFL Radio and I literally got the chills, like "OH MY GOD THAT'S THE PLAN!"

So I'm going with the chills for my prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a Bill at 12

3 hours ago, eball said:

But if Rosen is, as reported, the kind of guy who asks questions, doesn't accept status quo, and wants to build upon the playbook wouldn't that be a great match?

Listening to the WGR interview it seemed that Dilfer felt that the Jet situation with their coaching staff was a better situation for Rosen. Maybe I was reading too much into his comments but it seemed (my impression) that he wasn't sure (not declarative) that the Buffalo staff was not up to the task to handle this type of player and personality. 

This was an intriguing interview with Dilfer claiming that the coaching world isn't always populated with smart and adaptive coaches. Dilfer made the terrific point that often success or failure of a prospect is more due to the situation the qb is going to than the talent level of the prospect. He pointed out that many organizations don't invest in those things associated with player development and instead make the mistake of allowing an unprepared player to play before he is ready to.  

Another takeaway from this interview is that he felt that Rosen, who he knows very well,  was the best qb in this draft. 

4 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

slightly ... less enthusiastic about daboll. Within the context of the entire conversation, you'd almost place Dilfer's considered opinion of Daboll as closer to the "this guy doesn't know what he's talking about" category.

At the same time, if Dilfer doesn’t really know the guy, he’s just going off of what he hears in the media, i.e. he was with New England for a long time and learned college offense in Alabama. He didn’t have much detail then that and we all knew that if we watched the Nationals Championship Game. 

Also, regarding his, and some others interviews on QB’s (him and Jordan Palmer specifically), I take what they say with a grain of salt. Dilfer knows Rosen from his camp and therefore to an extent is invested in his success. Can’t remember if Darnold was there too, but I believe so. Same goes for Palmer and any of these guys when discussing the QB’s they’ve worked with. The higher the QB goes, the better their resume looks to people who want to sign up.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

4-24: Trent Dilfer Talks NFL Draft QBs on WGR (11:17)

Excellent interview with Dilfer with good conversation regarding Darnold and Rosen in particular.  

Whoa!  That was some straight talk there. 

Dilfer: "A lot of these coaches are out over their skiis, and they're insecure, and they don't always have the what and the why all the time.  They learned it from somebody else, they don't really own the information all of the time.  They can talk football, they can put it on a whiteboard and make you think that they know a lot of football, they can talk to the media and make the media think that they know a lot of football, but deep down...I sat in many rooms and went "this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, I'm 28 years old and I've forgotten more football than this guy knows." That happens often in the NFL.  So a lot of offensive coaches are insecure with their knowledge base.  They're insecure with what they're really trying to accomplish.  They didn't play the position, they don't know what's the reality of what's going on out there, and when a QB challenges their coaching, they bow (beau?) up and get their panties in a wad.  That is a very real element in probably more than half (!!!!!!!!! -me) of the QB rooms in the NFL....they're scared to death because they know they don't have the what and the why all the time."

Interviewer: "Is this the kind of situation where maybe on draft night, when his name gets called, you're going to be able to say 'perfect, that's the perfect guy for him', or maybe 'uh,oh, I don't think offensive coordinator X is going to be up for that kind of thing?"  Dilfer: "a-YUP!"

That's actually a pretty scathing indictment of the state of offensive and QB coaching in the league.  A HS coach and HS offensive coordinator and a college QB coach and offensive coordinator can all deal comfortably and effectively with Rosen, but Dilfer calls out a lot of offensive coaches in the league as being insecure and unable to cope with the kind of questions Rosen is likely to bring?

Wow.  Just....Wow.

When they have any talent for it at all, IME the better someone is and the more proficient someone is at a topic - the easier it is for them to break it down and explain it in a way that anyone, ANYONE can understand.  Maybe other QB won't provide the same challenges and ask the same questions that Rosen will, but to really become The Man they all need to get to the same place. 

So IMHO, if some of these NFL teams looking for a QB really don't have a QB coach and/or an offensive coordinator who can handle the kind of questions Rosen will bring:

1) they apparently don't even belong in the successful HS/college ranks

2) they are going to have trouble successfully developing any QB.  ANY QB.

And that's pretty much what Dilfer says about the Bills:  "I don't have as much confidence in their ability to develop and nurture a QB as I do for some of these other teams"  OTOH, I don't have a lot of sense that he knows the Bills coaching staff and QB room as well as he knows some other teams.  We weren't an "a-YUP", he did mention that he thought Darnold and Rosen were good fits for what he thought Daboll needs to build.

Wow.

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Why? everyone and their mother knows they're historically bad at it.

This would be a case where there isn't a lot of relevant (ie involving the current coaching staff) Bills history though, right?

There's the question of Culley and Peterman, I guess, but a lot isn't typically expected of 5th round draft picks.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

At the same time, if Dilfer doesn’t really know the guy, he’s just going off of what he hears in the media, i.e. he was with New England for a long time and learned college offense in Alabama. He didn’t have much detail then that and we all knew that if we watched the Nationals Championship Game. 

True enough. He certainly was pretty dismissive of OC/coaches - I just felt like he was tossing some massive shade Daboll's way. Was I overreacting? Maybe but I don't think so and I thought he was taking the stance of making an informed statement.