Niagara Falls- Prefer American or Canadian side?

Another Fan

On 4/21/2018 at 12:53 PM, Boyst62 said:

Goat island is by far the best part of the Falls. That said, the whirlpool is, to me, the most amazing part of the falls.  There are trails all along it and it's never that busy. From the Canadian side you can take the cable car over it and also the jet boat up toward it.  

On 4/21/2018 at 11:30 PM, GaryPinC said:

It is a question.  Goat Island makes the Falls a far more intimate experience on the American side.  

The panoramic view of all the falls is far better on the Canadian side (especially for pictures) and there's a lot more other things to do.

But if you're going simply to experience the falls, don't skip Goat Island.

9 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Without question, Canada has the Niagara Parks, while we have former industry.  BUT, walk 3-4 blocks, in Canada, behind the wall of high rise hotels, and it's Niagara falls NY all over again.

We went on a trip to Toronto and stopped by Niagara Falls on way up and back staying in hotel there.    

Niagara Falls is not destitute like Niagara Falls, NY "3-4 blocks away".  We parked at least 12 blocks back away and while area was poorer based on the cheaper hotels, etc the area was clean, no trash, etc.  We walked to and from there where we parked to watch the fireworks display (it is worth seeing once but not repeating I think).

This was my first trip to Goat Island and it will not be the last.  I wish my feet were better and I could walk more but I got to see the falls from every viewpoint accessible.

Oh and if you are doing the tourist thing the "Ten Thousand Buddhas Sarira Stupa" Buddhist temple has gorgeous architecture.  We were travelling with my wife's friend who is Buddhist and surprised her by stopping here on way between two sights in the Falls.

o.jpg

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

We went on a trip to Toronto and stopped by Niagara Falls on way up and back staying in hotel there.    

Niagara Falls is not destitute like Niagara Falls, NY "3-4 blocks away".  We parked at least 12 blocks back away and while area was poorer based on the cheaper hotels, etc the area was clean, no trash, etc.  We walked to and from there where we parked to watch the fireworks display (it is worth seeing once but not repeating I think).

This was my first trip to Goat Island and it will not be the last.  I wish my feet were better and I could walk more but I got to see the falls from every viewpoint accessible.

Oh and if you are doing the tourist thing the "Ten Thousand Buddhas Sarira Stupa" Buddhist temple has gorgeous architecture.  We were travelling with my wife's friend who is Buddhist and surprised her by stopping here on way between two sights in the Falls.

o.jpg

Not sure what you mean here?  Stateside, Niagara Falls is in Niagara Falls, NY.  When you say "Niagara Falls" without the "NY"... Do you mean the immediate Falls tourist area?

It is hard to see what has happened to the Falls..Dads family goes back to the late 1800's there, Mom's family early 20th century. Dad and Mom lived there their entire life until we moved due to Love Canal. Dad owned a car dealership, my Mom was very active in the arts and civil projects..President of the Niagara Council of the Arts for a decade or so.

I know it seems hard to believe now, but late 70's early 80's the Falls nightlife was great. 18 to drink in US, Canada was 19, Candian was  30% or so discount to US, but taken at par in the bars. We would switch our money all the time before going out. Candian girls were fun!!!

Hard to see what it has become, but seems to me some small, and I mean very small, signs of times getting better. 

to the OP, I think both sides for pictures own their own attractiveness.Canada more panoramic and grand, American side more intimate.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/21/2018 at 12:29 PM, Another Fan said:

Thinking of headed to take some pics of the falls this summer, it's been years since I've seen them.  Which side do people prefer, American or Canadian? 

I suppose most people saying Canadian for the better view of the Falls, but I remember that area being crowded and feeling touristy.  The Cave of the Winds I think is on the American side. 

I mean both sides are nice

i'd prefer the Canadian Falls were the American Falls.

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Well, the U.S. certainly has the C in C that believes he can / should do it.

Push those Canadian rascals past Thorold and to the other side of the Welland.  Take the Canal zone from St.Catherines to Port Colborne! :wub::lol:

Turn those Canadian power trasmission lines around and ship cheap power off to the only logical place on earth: NYC.  Toronto doesn't need power except for the local Timmy Ho's & Beer Store on every corner.

Make it happen Trump!  "Thorold or bust!"  They can keep Grimsby.

:D