The Top 5 Most Polarizing Figures in Buffalo Bills History

Let's take a break from these redundant draft threads and talk Bills history!
po·lar·ize - ˈpōləˌrīz/
To divide or cause to divide into two sharply contrasting groups or sets of opinions or beliefs

Throughout the history of the Buffalo Bills, there are many figures who fans feel very strongly about.  When talking to a Bills fan, I'm sure you found yourself in a passionate debate about a former player or front office worker.  This message board is a great example.  There are names that you can throw out in any topic that will immediately elicit strong and contrasting feelings.  That's why I'm putting together this list of the Top 5 Polarizing Figures in Buffalo Bills history.  Remember, polarizing doesn't mean "most hated," it's a figure that divides the fan base.  You either like them or you don't.  Let's go #5 to #1.

#5 - Doug Flutie

491750_crop_north.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&c

Many Bills fans have fond memories of Flutie - whose short stature made him the ideal underdog to get behind.  However other fans are quick to point out Doug's shortcomings, notably the periods of time when his offenses were stagnant or unimpressive.  I also remember Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick writing the book on how to neutralize Flutie.   The more interesting aspect of Flutie in my opinion, is the perception of Flutie by fans versus the media/locker room.   Flutie comes off as the nicest, most-humble guy but according to reports from the media and ex players (including Thurman Thomas), he was a politician that lobbied to start in front of Rob Johnson behind the scenes.

#4 - Stephon Gilmore

gil.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Gilmore was a very high draft pick that had huge expectations.  Initially, he struggled during his rookie year but he progressively got better.  It's clear that Gilmore had a potential and you can't deny he was, at worst, an above average CB.  But that's where the debate starts.  Gilmore has looked tremendous at times and other times we've seen him getting beat by subpar wide receivers.  Gilmore has a habit of blowing coverages and his body language appears to make it look like he's blaming others.  The other nock on Gilmore is that didn't make as many plays as the top CB's in the NFL did.  Some feel that Gilmore was a top notch CB, whereas other find him to be overrated.  Gilmore is still being discussed today by the Bills fan base.  Many were happy to say "adios" when Gilmore signed a huge deal in New England, others watch his play in the Super Bowl and think "we never should have let him go"

#3 - Ralph C. Wilson

ralph-800.jpg

As I detailed in a previous thread here, many Bills fans have mixed reactions about Wilson.  On one hand, Ralph was extremely generous the the local community both near Buffalo and the entire Western, NY region.  It also appears that he did make the path to relocation after he passed about as difficult as possible.  So you can't doubt his generosity or his loyalty.  The downside is, Ralph was not really a great owner as evidenced the overall record of the Bills under his leadership.  Many will say that Ralph was "cheap" and, with a few exceptions, didn't believe in paying a top notch coach or GM.  He also had a very bad reputation for being a meddling owner who interfered on a regular basis.  There's no better example than the Music City Miracle.  Personally, I feel Ralph is the person most responsible for the Bills dreadful 17 year drought and you can't deny that his decisions really "tarnished the brand" as a great man once said!  Ralph's deal seems to be that he was a great person but a bad owner and this causes a lot of dialogue.   

#2 - Tyrod Taylor

new-orleans-saints-v-buffalo-bills-0d74b

Much like Flutie, Taylor's unique skillset and non-traditional play at QB make him a lightning rod for debate.  Taylor's exceptional athletic ability allows him to make many plays with his feet.  He also can throw a great deep ball and regularly connected with receivers down the field.  To complicate matters, Taylor's work ethic and leadership has been applauded by many in the organization, as has his dedicated to volunteering in the community.  Bottom line - as a person this kid is top-notch.   The knock on Taylor has always been his ability to pass from the pocket.  He regularly has been inaccurate when throwing short to intermediate routes and he has been reluctant to throw to the middle of the field.  While Taylor had some success at QB for the Bills, many will point out his very low passing yardage and is lackluster record in bringing the Bills back from a deficit.  Still Taylor's defenders (and there are plenty of them) will cite other issues such as offensive scheme, play calling, and overall talent to explain his poor passing production.  There's no way around - with Taylor you fall into two distinct and contrasting camps

#1 - Doug Whaley

mfzacjowiruf8fsybnta.png

I don't care what anyone says - Whaley is the most polarizing figure in Buffalo Bills history.  Go ahead and mention Whaley at any Bills Backers bar.  You'll clearly divide any group you are speaking to.  Many liked Whaley's brave move of trading up for Sammy Watkins and some of the big name veteran additions he added through trades or free agency.  Whaley's detractors will point out his poor record in the draft, his inability to truly build a team as opposed to simply "acquiring talent."   Whaley did himself zero favors for some very embarrassing and awkward comments to the media.  The ultimate Whaley defense narrative is that he wasn't able to be a "true" GM.  He allegedly never was able to select his own coach and his poor drafts were because he was trying to pick players for a scheme.  The majority of the Bills fan base is content with Beane as GM, but there are still many who pine for Doug Whaley and feel he was wronged.  No matter where you fall - Whaley is the most debated figure in Bills history.

That's my list - Let's hear what you think

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Doug Flutie #1, and it's not even really close.

Disagree.  I think that the majority of Bills fans disagree more with the other 4 on the list above Flutie.  Whaley is a clear #1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Agree 100%.

And man, do I despise that little !@#$ing !@#$.

I think you might be misinterpreting what polarizing means.  It means that it divides the fan base.  Doug Whaley divides fan base much more than Doug Flutie does - as do the other 4 on the list 

2 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Where's Ol'Whitey?

Whitey?

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Disagree.  I think that the majority of Bills fans disagree more with the other 4 on the list above Flutie.  Whaley is a clear #1

I think you might be misinterpreting what polarizing means.  It means that it divides the fan base.  Doug Whaley divides fan base much more than Doug Flutie does - as do the other 4 on the list 

Whitey?

Maybe you weren't around here for the flutie/johnson era.

I can tell you it was a LOT worse than it has been lately.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Maybe you weren't around here for the flutie/johnson era.

I can tell you it was a LOT worse than it has been lately.

I was around but no the boards.  It very well could be because that was 20 years ago and the other 4 are more topical.  But in 2018, I feel that Bills fans feel way more passionately about Doug Whaley than they do about Flutie

Also an overwhelming majority of members here said that Flutie was the best QB since Kelly.  I don’t feel he’s anywhere near as polarizing as any of the other 4

Edited by BuffaloRush

18 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:
Let's take a break from these redundant draft threads and talk Bills history!
po·lar·ize - ˈpōləˌrīz/
To divide or cause to divide into two sharply contrasting groups or sets of opinions or beliefs

Throughout the history of the Buffalo Bills, there are many figures who fans feel very strongly about.  When talking to a Bills fan, I'm sure you found yourself in a passionate debate about a former player or front office worker.  This message board is a great example.  There are names that you can throw out in any topic that will immediately elicit strong and contrasting feelings.  That's why I'm putting together this list of the Top 5 Polarizing Figures in Buffalo Bills history.  Remember, polarizing doesn't mean "most hated," it's a figure that divides the fan base.  You either like them or you don't.  Let's go #5 to #1.

#5 - Doug Flutie

491750_crop_north.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&c

Many Bills fans have fond memories of Flutie - whose short stature made him the ideal underdog to get behind.  However other fans are quick to point out Doug's shortcomings, notably the periods of time when his offenses were stagnant or unimpressive.  I also remember Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick writing the book on how to neutralize Flutie.   The more interesting aspect of Flutie in my opinion, is the perception of Flutie by fans versus the media/locker room.   Flutie comes off as the nicest, most-humble guy but according to reports from the media and ex players (including Thurman Thomas), he was a politician that lobbied to start in front of Rob Johnson behind the scenes.

#4 - Stephon Gilmore

gil.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Gilmore was a very high draft pick that had huge expectations.  Initially, he struggled during his rookie year but he progressively got better.  It's clear that Gilmore had a potential and you can't deny he was, at worst, an above average CB.  But that's where the debate starts.  Gilmore has looked tremendous at times and other times we've seen him getting beat by subpar wide receivers.  Gilmore has a habit of blowing coverages and his body language appears to make it look like he's blaming others.  The other nock on Gilmore is that didn't make as many plays as the top CB's in the NFL did.  Some feel that Gilmore was a top notch CB, whereas other find him to be overrated.  Gilmore is still being discussed today by the Bills fan base.  Many were happy to say "adios" when Gilmore signed a huge deal in New England, others watch his play in the Super Bowl and think "we never should have let him go"

#3 - Ralph C. Wilson

ralph-800.jpg

As I detailed in a previous thread here, many Bills fans have mixed reactions about Wilson.  On one hand, Ralph was extremely generous the the local community both near Buffalo and the entire Western, NY region.  It also appears that he did make the path to relocation after he passed about as difficult as possible.  So you can't doubt his generosity or his loyalty.  The downside is, Ralph was not really a great owner as evidenced the overall record of the Bills under his leadership.  Many will say that Ralph was "cheap" and, with a few exceptions, didn't believe in paying a top notch coach or GM.  He also had a very bad reputation for being a meddling owner who interfered on a regular basis.  There's no better example than the Music City Miracle.  Personally, I feel Ralph is the person most responsible for the Bills dreadful 17 year drought and you can't deny that his decisions really "tarnished the brand" as a great man once said!  Ralph's deal seems to be that he was a great person but a bad owner and this causes a lot of dialogue.   

#2 - Tyrod Taylor

new-orleans-saints-v-buffalo-bills-0d74b

Much like Flutie, Taylor's unique skillset and non-traditional play at QB make him a lightning rod for debate.  Taylor's exceptional athletic ability allows him to make many plays with his feet.  He also can throw a great deep ball and regularly connected with receivers down the field.  To complicate matters, Taylor's work ethic and leadership has been applauded by many in the organization, as has his dedicated to volunteering in the community.  Bottom line - as a person this kid is top-notch.   The knock on Taylor has always been his ability to pass from the pocket.  He regularly has been inaccurate when throwing short to intermediate routes and he has been reluctant to throw to the middle of the field.  While Taylor had some success at QB for the Bills, many will point out his very low passing yardage and is lackluster record in bringing the Bills back from a deficit.  Still Taylor's defenders (and there are plenty of them) will cite other issues such as offensive scheme, play calling, and overall talent to explain his poor passing production.  There's no way around - with Taylor you fall into two distinct and contrasting camps

#1 - Doug Whaley

mfzacjowiruf8fsybnta.png

I don't care what anyone says - Whaley is the most polarizing figure in Buffalo Bills history.  Go ahead and mention Whaley at any Bills Backers bar.  You'll clearly divide any group you are speaking to.  Many liked Whaley's brave move of trading up for Sammy Watkins and some of the big name veteran additions he added through trades or free agency.  Whaley's detractors will point out his poor record in the draft, his inability to truly build a team as opposed to simply "acquiring talent."   Whaley did himself zero favors for some very embarrassing and awkward comments to the media.  The ultimate Whaley defense narrative is that he wasn't able to be a "true" GM.  He allegedly never was able to select his own coach and his poor drafts were because he was trying to pick players for a scheme.  The majority of the Bills fan base is content with Beane as GM, but there are still many who pine for Doug Whaley and feel he was wronged.  No matter where you fall - Whaley is the most debated figure in Bills history.

That's my list - Let's hear what you think

I'm guessing that your list is influenced by your youth which means there are Bills that you know little about.  My five in no particular order and maybe it should be 10.

Jim Kelly.  Today he is revered but when he came in 1986 many thought he was haughty among other things.  Too good for the local folk.  Then there was the bickering Bills of which many thought the blame laid with Jim and a fair amount of it was resentment that Jim was doing well and quite a few were not.

Fred Smerlas.  In order to even play the game you have to have a high degree of bravado and determination.  Associated with that often is being opinionated and Fred never lacked for an opinion.  It was put out years ago that Fred talked his way off the team after having increasing hostility emerge from players such as Chris Burkett.  Love him or hate him Fred was a leader and if he were on the SB 25 team the outcome may have been different.

Ralph C Wilson.

Lou Saban.  His AFL Championship teams created a permanent loyalty from WNY and his exit during the mid 1970's placed a spotlight on one of Ralph's least desirable qualities in being a team owner.

Cookie Glichrist.  Outspoken and simply out there.  The team's earliest encounter with a free spirit who barely functioned in terms of team protocols.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 1

This is the sort of op-ed piece which belongs as a poll.  You'll learn who is most polarizing.  That said - here's my stab at the same list.

#1 - Flutie - Never do I remember so many hurt feelings by fans on this board as when the RJ vs. Flutie Debate was raging (figuratively and literally).

#2 - John Butler - When he was GM, some folks thought he was incredible, others a giant turd.  Then when he fled for the Chargers, it got worse.

#3 - Ralph Wilson - Constantly viewed as a cheapskate and also as a savior for creating the team and keeping it in Buffalo.

#4 - Chuck Knox  I feel like maybe Ground Chuck - who many fans thought was way too conservative was the most polarizing coach, but maybe Saban should be here (before my time).

#5 - Tyrod - You either loved or hated him.

Those are the arguments I remember most.  Whaley wasn't polarizing because he didn't have many supporters to my memory.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Where's the most obvious one of all? Juice?

No he doesn’t make the list.  In order to be polarizing, you have to have an equal number of fans love you and hate you at the same time.  OJ is a villain.  He doesn’t have enough support from the fan base.  Most fans don’t like OJ for obvious reasons 

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm guessing that your list is influenced by your youth which means there are Bills that you know little about.  My five in no particular order and maybe it should be 10.

Jim Kelly.  Today he is revered but when he came in 1986 many thought he was haughty among other things.  Too good for the local folk.  Then there was the bickering Bills of which many thought the blame laid with Jim and a fair amount of it was resentment that Jim was doing well and quite a few were not.

Fred Smerlas.  In order to even play the game you have to have a high degree of bravado and determination.  Associated with that often is being opinionated and Fred never lacked for an opinion.  It was put out years ago that Fred talked his way off the team after having increasing hostility emerge from players such as Chris Burkett.  Love him or hate him Fred was a leader and if he were on the SB 25 team the outcome may have been different.

Ralph C Wilson.

Lou Saban.  His AFL Championship teams created a permanent loyalty from WNY and his exit during the mid 1970's placed a spotlight on one of Ralph's least desirable qualities in being a team owner.

Cookie Glichrist.  Outspoken and simply out there.  The team's earliest encounter with a free spirit who barely functioned in terms of team protocols.

I agree with all these - even though some were before my time - those debates still rage in old timers.  I almost listed Kelly in my list over Tyrod.

I'd rather talk about players we loved most, to be fair.  :)

5 minutes ago, MTBill said:

This is the sort of op-ed piece which belongs as a poll.  You'll learn who is most polarizing.  That said - here's my stab at the same list.

#1 - Flutie - Never do I remember so many hurt feelings by fans on this board as when the RJ vs. Flutie Debate was raging (figuratively and literally).

#2 - John Butler - When he was GM, some folks thought he was incredible, others a giant turd.  Then when he fled for the Chargers, it got worse.

#3 - Ralph Wilson - Constantly viewed as a cheapskate and also as a savior for creating the team and keeping it in Buffalo.

#4 - Chuck Knox  I feel like maybe Ground Chuck - who many fans thought was way too conservative was the most polarizing coach, but maybe Saban should be here (before my time).

#5 - Tyrod - You either loved or hated him.

Those are the arguments I remember most.  Whaley wasn't polarizing because he didn't have many supporters to my memory.

Some very decent choices but I’d disagree with the order a bit.  As far as Whaley not having supporters - you are mistaken!  There are fans here who will defend Doug to the death

8 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Ralph C Wilson.

Perhaps.... I don’t have the perspective as a old fan.  I just know that growing up, the majority of the fans base was 100% Jim Kelly.  There was no polarization there.  

The others are interesting choices, but in 2018 I feel there are more polarizing candidates

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

No he doesn’t make the list.  In order to be polarizing, you have to have an equal number of fans love you and hate you at the same time.  OJ is a villain.  He doesn’t have enough support from the fan base.  Most fans don’t like OJ for obvious reasons 

No way.  Start a thread about taking him off the wall and see the reaction

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Some very decent choices but I’d disagree with the order a bit.  As far as Whaley not having supporters - you are mistaken!  There are fans here who will defend Doug to the death

I guess what I forget is that the Whaley discussion morphs into the Tyrod/EJ/Rex discussion and I sort of forget that Whaley was a big part of that.  I didn't love or hate him, I just felt he was incompetent.

Just now, MarkyMannn said:

No way.  Start a thread about taking him off the wall and see the reaction

There are people actually supporting OJ?  LOL and I certainly will take you up on the offer.  I bet that if I started an “Is OJ Guilty” thread we’d have at least 80% saying yes 

Flutie has become less polarizing as time has gone on, because Rob Johnson's career amounted to nothing. ...but at the time there were a lot of people in Rob Johnson's corner because when he was good, he was really good (including, "The Coach" Chuck Dickerson who railed on this nightly).  There was a sense of hope with Rob - that he could become a top-line franchise quarterback.  In fact, he may belong on this list more than Doug does.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Perhaps.... I don’t have the perspective as a old fan.  I just know that growing up, the majority of the fans base was 100% Jim Kelly.  There was no polarization there.  

The others are interesting choices, but in 2018 I feel there are more polarizing candidates

I disagree about your take on Kelly but if you grew up in a  house that adored him and your friends and neighbors revered him then you are apt to feel the same way.  There was a huge amount of resentment towards Kelly and it carried through our playoff win over the Oilers of which quite a number were hoping that Reich would bump Kelly to the bench for good.  I think that your perspective is too greatly influenced by your youth.

• Like (+1) 1