Comp picks

Comp picks are dumb and should be done away with. In a league with a salary cap, they make 0 sense.

Comp picks used to be very misunderstood and an afterthought. Now, as we saw before free agency started, comp picks are supposedly a factor in what teams decide to do in FA.

Personally, it was driving me nuts how excited people were getting about the prospects of the Bills loading up on comp picks once Matthews, Brown, Gaines and others signed monster deals elsewhere.

It just goes to show, its a tremendous waste of time. The Bills FA's got exactly dick in free agency while the Bills went and signed a couple of higher priced guys.

All that talk and planning and "OMG we're getting a 3rd when Gaines leaves" for nothing. 

Comp picks need to go back to being ignored. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know why anybody would be against Comp picks.

It was created as incentive for small market teams (i.e. Bills) to not consistently get burned by all their best players leaving in free agency and receiving no compensation for it.

The only difference between us and other organizations (until recently, hopefully) is we were too dumb to take advantage of the system.

13 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It was created as incentive for small market teams (i.e. Bills) to not consistently get burned by all their best players leaving in free agency and receiving no compensation for it.

The only difference between us and other organizations (until recently, hopefully) is we were too dumb to take advantage of the system.

This is the NFL, they all have the same cap.

The theory of small market teams is gone. Players have proven they will go to the teams that will pay.

Most of the players getting to FA arent because their teams CAN'T pay them, it's that they choose not to. 

2 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

This is the NFL, they all have the same cap.

The theory of small market teams is gone. Players have proven they will go to the teams that will pay.

Most of the players getting to FA arent because their teams CAN'T pay them, it's that they choose not to. 

vf7g.gif

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

The sys was a failure as it never worked as intended. 

Teams like the Cheats circumvented it by playing every loophole available.

Signing guys who are cut.

Offering options and then cutting them.

Doing the dirty to Blount.....that no other team would have avoided scathing media excoriation for that behavior.

but since it is BB and Cheats they are geniuses for using every means possible.

Comp picks did not compensate the way it was intended and so it is a failure. Good teams circumvented the premise and got the bulk of the comp picks. FA NFL players suffered. If all teams did what Cheats and some others did I would think NFLPU would have initiated a lawsuit.

Owners who pushed for comp picks sys failed to realize bad teams are going to sign more FA as they "you know" try to get better, then reducing comp picks. While good teams reap the artificail benefits of bs comp picks and salary cap savings of not signing too many FA's.

Edited by cba fan
ppp