Wrap up of NFL owners annual meetings - talking points

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22912698/nfl-owners-arrive-annual-meetings-divided-anthem-issue

ORLANDO, Fla. -- NFL owners arrived at their annual meetings starkly divided on how best to address player protests during the national anthem. Rigorous discussions are expected to take place this week, and at least one owner is calling for a new policy by the end of May.

Some owners want to bolster current rules by making it mandatory for every player and coach to stand during the anthem.

Others want players to stay in the locker room until after the anthem is played. A few, most notably the New York Jets' Christopher Johnson, are planning to argue against either change.

"I can't speak to how other people run their teams," Johnson said Sunday, "but I just think that trying to forcibly get the players to shut up is a fantastically bad idea."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22912933/new-england-patriots-head-coach-bill-belichick-details-process-led-josh-mcdaniels-stay-team

"Once that game ended, I think that really gave Josh and I a chance to sit down [Tuesday] and talk more directly about the situation, as opposed to, 'We really want to talk about the game and what we need to do to try to compete in that game.' That's basically what happened," Belichick said Sunday at the NFL's annual meeting. "Before the game, I'd say we had minimal discussions. I'd say we had much deeper and longer and more in-depth and more constructive discussions immediately after the game."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922965/article/pederson-nothing-came-down-our-way-for-nick-foles

The Philadelphia Eagles wanted a treasure chest if they were going to be tempted to trade away backup quarterback Nick Foles this offseason. Turns out, they didn't get an offer that even piqued their interest, let alone the first-round pick "at the very least" that they were seeking.

In speaking with NFL Network's Steve Wyche at the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando on Saturday, Eagles coach Doug Pederson admitted nothing came his way with regard to a deal for the Super Bowl LII MVP.

"We did not," Pederson said when asked if the team got any interesting trade offers for Foles. "Nothing too crazy. It had to be the right deal for us to do that. But there wasn't anything coming down our way for Nick." 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Dumb Question # 1 

On Sunday at the NFL's annual meeting, coach Bill Belichick was asked if Gronkowski has informed him of any decisions.

"I'm not going to speak for anybody else," Belichick told a small group of local reporters. "So, conversations I've had with the players -- and I've had a lot of them -- I will keep those private between myself and the player. I respect those coach-to-player conversations. I don't want to speak for anybody else."

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Are any Bills fans there to help Beane in any negotiations to secure a trade-up deal with the Giants or Browns?

After the last few weeks of posting on this board, I hope not!

• Haha (+1) 2

ORLANDO, Fla. -- New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said he has met collectively with quarterback Tom Brady and head coach Bill Belichick, downplaying any tension in the organization as standard operating procedure while noting the toll that losing Super Bowl LII has taken.

"We met and I meet individually with each of them," Kraft said Monday at the NFL's annual meeting. "But the thing that I don't know if it's completely understood -- Bill and Tom meet a lot and spend a lot of time communicating. I think the residual of this loss was really hard on everyone, but I sort of see that as a high-class problem."

Kraft also said, "The fact that we lost and lost the way we did, I still haven't gotten over it."

BRAVO to the last.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

with Eli on the way out  they need their QB pick to be in the top 5  Bobby

Theyhave committed to Eli. And have a second year player on their roster they really like  

and reported they are not taking a QB at teo unless it is Darnold 

sold off all their picks this year. Good way to get picks back

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I really hope they do something to get politics out of the Game Day experience. That was nothing short of terrible last season. Another 'triumph' for Roger Goodell. Great job Roger!

I agree. Ditch the Anthem just play football (Active Duty Soldier here). Or keep players in Locker Room.   Cause 1st Amendment Rights be damned 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I agree. Ditch the Anthem just play football (Active Duty Soldier here). Or keep players in Locker Room.   Cause 1st Amendment Rights be damned 

Or maybe they could just "please rise and kindly remove their caps" like has been asked of the fans for decades now!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or maybe they could just "please rise and kindly remove their caps" like has been asked of the fans for decades now!

Yep 1st Amendment Rights be Damned 

nah thats not what I faught for. 

Get rid of Anthem or Keep players in Locker Rooms 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Theyhave committed to Eli. And have a second year player on their roster they really like  

I give Eli 1 more season then he's gone.    Davis Webb?   @ 3-10 they should have made the switch if they were high on him.   

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I really hope they do something to get politics out of the Game Day experience. That was nothing short of terrible last season. Another 'triumph' for Roger Goodell. Great job Roger!

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Agreed.  Make it like it was before 9-11.   Players stayed off of the field until the anthem was sung, then they came out..  

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

I give Eli 1 more season then he's gone.    Davis Webb?   @ 3-10 they should have made the switch if they were high on him.   

Well the Coach was a dead man walking and that Line was TRASH. 

So moving out of 2 for 12-22 ans more gets them the rest to fix that line and a Lamar Jackson, Or one of the other guys that will need a year. 

ELI walks they now have ammo in next draft (they should require 2019 in a trade up) and Webb and maybe a rookie behind a good OL battling it out 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep 1st Amendment Rights be Damned 

nah thats not what I faught for. 

Get rid of Anthem or Keep players in Locker Rooms 

Oh please!  You did not fight for the right for people to be rude....even though they have that right. (And thanks for your service...seriously)

Forcing the players to stay in the Locker Room, while it does get rid of the controversy, doesn't teach anyone anything. I'd still rather live in a country where people confined their protests to their off-hours time. I don't want to hear an actor work politics into a reception speech. Or have a football player sit down in protest while their supposed to be at work.  I'm not sure what you do for a living...but at my next staff meeting I really hope there isn't someone standing on their chair because of famine in Africa!

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I'll take denying reality for 500 Alex.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh please!  You did not fight for the right for people to be rude....even though they have that right. (And thanks for your service...seriously)

Forcing the players to stay in the Locker Room, while it does get rid of the controversy, doesn't teach anyone anything. I'd still rather live in a country where people confined their protests to their off-hours time. I don't want to hear an actor work politics into a reception speech. Or have a football player sit down in protest while their supposed to be at work.  I'm not sure what you do for a living...but at my next staff meeting I really hope there isn't someone standing on their chair because of famine in Africa!

I faught for their right to use the 1st Amendment. They did. NO FREAKING ISSUE   

And again you know why Players even started coming out for the Anthem???  It was required BY NFL Military Contract to help recruiting efforts.

so again there is two ways actually three ways to fix this.

1.  Stop the Anthem

2. Keep players in lockroom

3. Get off your high horse and realize their is an issue in America and then taking a knee was a respectable way to protest.  And the ANTHEM is not their work. The Game hasnt started. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2