Hello Buffalo Fans - Two Bills Drive

15 minutes ago, Buddo said:

If it wasn't for the fact that Glenn gets us up to the #12 pick, and consequently in range to move up for a top QB, if that's what the FO want to do, I think you would see a lot more angst about the move. When healthy, Glenn is a very good LT. He's also been a guy who has been no trouble whatsoever. Simply does his job. Fortunately, another 2nd round pick, in Dawkins, stepped up when Glenn was hurt last year, so while Glenn wasn't being made superfluous (we don't have a great RT, so tackles generally are still valuable to us), it was a trade that is about as close to a 'win, win' as you can get.

Brown is a generally smart, solid LB, who does a lot well, but lacks elite speed or athleticism. He won't let you down, but he won't make a lot of big plays either. He isn't going to be an answer to coverage woes, but he won't be a total liability there either. Another guy who hasn't been a problem either, in respect of character etc.

And this is a fair analysis of Glenn. The Bills had two left tackles and it probably wasn't going to work to move one to the right side.  So the Bills decided to move the older guy with at least a potential health issue and the bigger cap hit.  In a couple years both guys would be looking for leaft tackle money.  Bills dealt with problem now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Glenn is a good player. He can be a probowl level player. He'll probably remind you guys of Whitworth if he's healthy.

Preston is no different than Posluszny. Meaning the Bills drafted him for a fit in a defense and changed coaches and so he no longer fit. Preston was drafted by one of the best DC in Bills history and once he was out, Preston's no longer fit. He'll probably have a career like Posluszny or just under. He's a slightly above average LB.

Edited by CuddyDark

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Which is what one might expect from a young guy.  

I thought I read it somewhere that AJ is  2-1 as a starter?  Is that correct?  

Yeah, 2-1 in regular season, 0-1 in postseason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

thank you! hopefully that ends all the b.s. posts about why he's no good because he didn't take dalton's job.

in another thread here recently, someone posted his 2015 highlights. while fairly impressive, my initial thought

(and i posted this) was that nate peterman looks like that but with a quicker/sharper release.

that doesn't mean i'm not starting a.j. by any means, just that i noticed what you mentioned. i think he will start (no matter who we draft) and will have us contending for the division lead throughout the year. very happy we got him.

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Which is what one might expect from a young guy.  

I thought I read it somewhere that AJ is  2-1 as a starter?  Is that correct?  

That is correct, he should have led them to a playoff victory if not for Pacman and Burfict losing their minds. 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Like (+1) 2

Cordy- if he gets his foot problems straightened out he could be a pro bowl type player,but right now he hasn't been on the field

for a year 1/2 .

Brown- lots of tackles but mostly down the field ,called the defense on field, not great on pass coverage. Won't get PF penalties like Burfect.

McCarron we are hoping for a guy that sees the 2-3 receiver faster than Tyrod,and be more decisive in throwing . Few have feet as good as Tyrod did.

25 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

It's a condition caused by 27 years without a playoff win. :(

I guess we can have a contest to see who has a more blighted lot as a fan, sadly.  We can take small consolation in the idea that Browns fans have it worse.  

As for the questions you originally asked, if Glenn stays healthy you will be ecstatic with the trade because you gave up very little to get a pro bowl caliber LT.  If he doesn’t see the field due to nagging injuries you’ll be pissed off.

Preston Brown is an enigma.  He has had some mildly bright spots and some mildly dark ones.  He strikes me more as a two down scheme fit that an all around good LB.  If your staff picked him up with their eyes open to this he will be, as others have said, a solid but not stellar player.

3 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

That is correct, he should have led them to a playoff victory if not for Pacman and Burfict losing their minds. 

That's very true - that game should have ended in a victory - but AJ (and the offense) also played very poorly for 3 1/2 quarters. 

To his credit though, he never really looked rattled and rebounded to come through in a late game pressure situation.

10 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Oh, THAT was the playoff game he lost.  That was a travesty.  

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I guess we can have a contest to see who has a more blighted lot as a fan, sadly.  We can take small consolation in the idea that Browns fans have it worse.  

As for the questions you originally asked, if Glenn stays healthy you will be ecstatic with the trade because you gave up very little to get a pro bowl caliber LT.  If he doesn’t see the field due to nagging injuries you’ll be pissed off.

Preston Brown is an enigma.  He has had some mildly bright spots and some mildly dark ones.  He strikes me more as a two down scheme fit that an all around good LB.  If your staff picked him up with their eyes open to this he will be, as others have said, a solid but not stellar player.

A lot of Bills fans love Glenn.  Let's face it: he was a second round pick who became expendable because the Bills got another second pick and who got traded essentially for a second round pick.  That's who he is.  Bengals will be satisfied they got him. 

Edited by Shaw66

1 hour ago, Bengalholic said:

I'm an admin at TheBengalsBoard.com. 

Just wanted to stop in and say hello, as well as get some general feedback as to how Bills fans felt about Cordy Glenn and Preston Brown.

I also want to offer congrats to you guys for signing AJ McCarron.. He was a class act in Cincy and I'm glad he will be getting an opportunity in Buffalo.

Preston Brown is Ryan Fitzpatrick on defense.... He has it "between the ears", but lacks the physical tools to be elite. He does find himself in a good position most of the time so he will probably lead the team in tackles like he did here if he plays mike for you. Won't ever provide a big hit but will hold up the ball carrier long enough for the rest of the D to rally and stop him.

Nothing wrong with Cordy Glenn at all, when he makes it to the field. If he stays healthy in Cincy, you guys will love him. I have my doubts about the likelihood of that happening, though.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Hopefully, Glenn and Brown have a great season for us, and you guys can land your QB in the draft and get some quality production out of McCarron as well.

Best of luck in the draft and the 2018 season. 

Edited by Bengalholic

47 minutes ago, Buddo said:

If it wasn't for the fact that Glenn gets us up to the #12 pick, and consequently in range to move up for a top QB, if that's what the FO want to do, I think you would see a lot more angst about the move. When healthy, Glenn is a very good LT. He's also been a guy who has been no trouble whatsoever. Simply does his job. Fortunately, another 2nd round pick, in Dawkins, stepped up when Glenn was hurt last year, so while Glenn wasn't being made superfluous (we don't have a great RT, so tackles generally are still valuable to us), it was a trade that is about as close to a 'win, win' as you can get.

Brown is a generally smart, solid LB, who does a lot well, but lacks elite speed or athleticism. He won't let you down, but he won't make a lot of big plays either. He isn't going to be an answer to coverage woes, but he won't be a total liability there either. Another guy who hasn't been a problem either, in respect of character etc.

Dawkins played well above expectations making Glenn and mega $$$$ expendable.

Moving to 12 from 21 made the fan base rejoice.