OJ Simpson Talks Bills

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Wilson was a smart and shrewd businessman when it came to the AFL, he actually helped run the league more like owners today where year to year losses weren't the biggest deal as long as the league sustained growth and more importantly took market share from the NFL. Ralph pushed the overall health of the league as his goal was more important than making money right away. His goal of establishing a merger with the NFL was very clear in my mind. 

I don't know why that after he got the merger he pretty much stopped running the team in such a macro manner and pretty much ran it as though if one season where he lost money would ruin him. It was kind of odd with the way he helped run the AFL. But I guess he figured that once he had gotten to the NFL the team needed to be fiscally solvent to remain in the league. 

The financial dynamics were already changing by the 1970's putting Ralph and other owners such as Art Modell at a disadvantage.  For those from Rochester image the owner of Sibley's or McCurdy's owning a team back during the 1960's then image them trying to make a go of it during the 1970's.  The cost of doing business was increasing during this time faster than these businesses could raise revenue.  Also, as alluded to by others was that other owners such as Bud Adams and Lamar Hunt did not spend to the rafters promoting an inequity in terms of team salary.  Money does not automatically buy success but the more times you over pay the better the chance of buying superior talent.  The trick is not to buy too many duds between the hits.  There is no reason that if Adams and Hunt were so inclined that the AFL would have amounted to an annual showdown between the Oilers and Chiefs.   While Ralph deserves credit he is not the only one as some of the others helped shape the league into what we know today.  If Adams and Hunt chose to buy the championship interest might have fallen off by the late 1960's closing the door on the merger and the NFL may have not felt the pressure to expand as it did.

Edited by RochesterRob

12 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I have no idea why people can't understand that on one hand, OJ was a tremendous sports hero in his day and one of the best few Bills of all time...and on the other, a scumbag who brutally murdered two people.

Humans are complex creatures and most are filled with contradictions.  

I don't recall anyone ever saying that "The Wall" exists to honor well-rounded human beings in all aspects of their lives.  

I'm pretty sure it exists to stand witness to the greatest Buffalo Bill football players of all time.

You can't change history; OJ belongs on the Wall.  

What if he next kills Terry or Kim Pegula?

Still stays on the wall?

29 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

The proof is in the pudding - Ralph was very cheap for a very long time....

This is an interesting statement and ties into Simpson's statement.  If there was a point that was the beginning of the "Ralph is cheap" mantra it would have been during the 1970's.  My understanding is that is the biggest reason Ralph and Lou Saban had their second and final falling out.  The Bills defense had a few pieces and needed a few more to be championship level on parr with the Steelers and Raiders but Ralph supposedly would hear none of it.  The times were different in that there was no salary cap and no dead cap repercussions.  What ever the contract was between player and team was just that.  

• Like (+1) 1