LB Market

Just now, NewEra said:

All this talk about drafting a LB at 22.  Do people think we’re keeping 22?  If we do, LB should probably be the pick....I just don’t think it’s going to be ours to use

I'd rather see a trade of our 2019 1st to move up, than to give up #22.

This is the best 4-3 Linebacker draft we have seen in many year, If Buffalo can trade up and get their QB without losing the 22nd pick, then we can see them draft Vander Esch, who at 6'4" 250 is an ideal ILB for this defense.  Then come back later and draft Leonard, Baker, Jefferson, Scales or Griffin in the 3rd.  Then another in the late rounds, like Matthew Thomas or Avery...but still sign Bradham or Jones to play strong side.

If we went into the season with Milano, Vander Esch and Jones/Bradham starting and Leonard and Avery backing up, I'd feel pretty good.

Edited by frogger

4 minutes ago, 947 said:

I'd rather see a trade of our 2019 1st to move up, than to give up #22.

Me too, for cap reasons we will have to do most of our improving with the draft.  Next year, Buffalo should have the cap room to make a few splashy signings.

20 minutes ago, frogger said:

This is the best 4-3 Linebacker draft we have seen in many year, If Buffalo can trade up and get their QB without losing the 22nd pick, then we can see them draft Vander Esch, who at 6'4" 250 is an ideal ILB for this defense.  Then come back later and draft Leonard, Baker, Jefferson, Scales or Griffin in the 3rd.  Then another in the late rounds, like Matthew Thomas or Avery...but still sign Bradham or Jones to play strong side.

If we went into the season with Milano, Vander Esch and Jones/Bradham starting and Leonard and Avery backing up, I'd feel pretty good.

I would think that McDermott loves Vander Esch. I think he is the perfect fit at MIKE as well. What we do at that position in this offseason is probably the second most important decision after quarterback. All I know is that Preston Brown is not the guy for us. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you have to draft linebackers.   You get an occasional Lomax but generally your stars come out of the draft.  

Having said that, I like the idea of bringing Bradham back. 

Agreed. 

It's not always the case, but when it comes to free agents, you tend to get your money's worth more often with linemen than you do LBs. 

But Bradham would be a nice addition that shouldn't break the bank.

1 hour ago, Watkins90 said:

A good front can makes average linebackers good. 

That's my train of thought. A good line trickles all the way down to the secondary. 

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Nigel Bradham or Zach Brown if the price is right. Ok with bringing back Preston who knows this system.

Brown said he wants and has earned top 3 money. No thanks. Bradham will likely get a deal like Hitchens. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Both of these guys have the speed that McD's defense requires.  Get one of them, draft an MLB high and bring Kyle back.  Bills will have a MUCH better defense.  

I've been wrong about everything, but I'm sure McD wants to replace Preston. Too slow.  

Agreed.

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

not a fan of this FA LB group.  Would be nice to fill other holes via FA and get the LBs in the draft. 

I tend to agree. I'd rather not lose the comp pick game and roll with an older Brian Cushing for  year. I know, I know, PEDs....but the FA landscape doesn't look great and the guy is a "heart and soul" type player who you could plug right in at MIKE. Our DB coach John Butler would be very familiar with him. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I tend to agree. I'd rather not lose the comp pick game and roll with an older Brian Cushing for  year. I know, I know, PEDs....but the FA landscape doesn't look great and the guy is a "heart and soul" type player who you could plug right in at MIKE. Our DB coach John Butler would be very familiar with him. 

Not a bad idea if he’s cheap.  He’s the Sam Bradford of LBs