Thinking outside the box on the Foles Buzz

macaroni

2 minutes ago, Bendernaught said:

To me, it would be more than a sentimental reason to keep him or for him to stay. 

What guarantee do they have that Wentz will be healthy on Day 1? Why trade away the guy who just brought in the first Super Bowl victory in franchise history when the starting quarterback in on the mend and could be out a while?

Because they know that they caught lightning in a bottle and they want to trade him for more than he is worth.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Because they know that they caught lightning in a bottle and they want to trade him for more than he is worth.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Yep.  And they like their 3rd QB.  Wentz might miss a game or two at most.  If Philly can get a 2nd and a third for Foles, it would be a steal for them.

Foles seems like a good fit because of his character and salary and I believe the Bills will be implementing the RPO. 

If they could somehow keep both 1st round pics and get a viable option at QB that would be the best case for them.

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I guess it depends on what they get for him.

If they get a 2nd round pick, then what is better... Peace of mind at the quarterback position or a 2nd round pick?

I think if we ask 2 people about that then we might get 3 different answers. :) 

Just now, Bendernaught said:

I guess it depends on what they get for him.

If they get a 2nd round pick, then what is better... Peace of mind at the quarterback position or a 2nd round pick?

I think if we ask 2 people about that then we might get 3 different answers. :) 

I would not give them a 2nd - either 53 or 56 for Foles - he is “Foles gold” - at least in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

But why?  He has been in the league for 6 full seasons and hasn’t been able to hold onto a starting gig, in spite of one great season in Philly.

He's only 29.  Quality character.  He's shown he can play with the right offense.  And we can use all our other picks, 6 in the first 100, to fill numerous holes.  Unless they are sure there is "the guy" in order to mortgage the future by giving away a handful of draft picks, Foles is an upgrade over Tyrod without costing a fortune in $$$ or draft picks. Don't even have to extend him yet. If Tyrod is worth a high 3rd, Foles is easily worth a low 2nd.

1 hour ago, macaroni said:

What if ....

The Bills intention all along is to trade up in the draft to get a QB that they have fallen in love with, the catch being that they feel that they have to be at the #2 pick to ensure getting him? I could see the conversation going something like this ....

Bills .... hey Giants guys ... just spit balling here ... we'd sure like to swing a trade for your #2 spot in the draft.

NYG ... OK shoot ... what do you have in mind?

Bills ... We're thinking something like a package of XXX, YYY, and ZZZ for your #2

NYG ... Nope ... not enough, to get our #2, we want AAA, BBB, CCC, DDD, and next years AAA

Bills ... HOLEY MOLEY that's wayyyyyy to much

NYG ... Maybe so ... but you have to sweeten the deal

Bills ... OK...OK...OK ... listen Eli is getting a bit long in the tooth ... you got to be looking for a viable back up that is capable of taking over the reigns if Eli poops the bed this season.

NYG ... Hmmmmm ... keep talking

Bills ... we'll give you ... XXX, YYY, ZZZ and throw in Taylor

NYG .... PFFFFFFFFT .... you just made me spit my coffee out ... you said "VIABLE BACK UP" you said "CAPABLE TO TAKE THE REIGNS"

Giants slam the phone down

Beane thinking to himself ..... Self ... the Eagles are in cap trouble ... rumors are that Foles can be had .... Hmmmmm (picks up his phone)

Bills ..... hey Eagles guys ... we're just spit balling here ... we'd be willing to take Nick Foles off your hands and help you out with your cap problems ...

Eagles ... OK we're listening ... what do you have in mind

Bills ... Ohhhhh I don't know ... how does pick #56 sound???

Eagles ... your joking right????? You DO know he's the Super Bowl MVP???

Bills .... Yeah ... but if you think of it, he's your back  ... if Wentz was healthy, he would have never even seen the field.

Eagles ... Your right ... but he wasn't and he did ... so you have to sweeten the deal ... maybe both your seconds ... I'd even consider #56 and a high third rounder ... but #96 isn't it.

Bills ... A little too rich for my blood right now ... maybe I'll get back to you

Beane sits back thinking to himself .... self ... how can I get a second or high third draft pick ... who could I trade .... Shadey???? .... nahhhh he's over 30% of our offense .... Hmmmm ... only guy I'd be willing to part with at this point of the off season is Taylor .... but who in their right mind would give me a second/third pick for Taylor now .... Hmmmmm .... I got this phone number in the back of my rolodex .......

Bills .... hey Browns guy ... just kinda spit balling here ... how would you like to add an experienced QB that has taken his team to the play offs???

Browns ... what did you have in mind???

Bills ... we'll send you Taylor for your second

Browns ... that's a bit rich for me ... how about a third???

Bills ... make it #65 and you got a deal ... don't forget you're getting a playoff caliber QB for a measly 3rd round pick

Browns ... sounds great to me ... done deal

So this is how it COULD play out

We give the Eagles #56 and #65 for Foles (in essence one of our second rounders and Taylor)

We package picks XXX, YYY, ZZZ AND the Super Bowl MVP to the Giants for their #2 pick

Jesus christ you people have way too much time on your hands.

And trading Tyrod Taylor and a 2nd round pick for Nick Foles is awful.

Edited by Domdab99

1 hour ago, Bendernaught said:

If I was running the Eagles front office then I would keep Foles for 2018. Maybe trade him mid 2018 or let him become a free agent. 

I don't think Foles is beating down their door and asking for a trade. The dude is already a Philly legend. 

I think it makes the most sense for him to stay in Philly. 

The demand is high now. 

They would get more for him now than they could later.  

34 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would not give them a 2nd - either 53 or 56 for Foles - he is “Foles gold” - at least in my opinion.

Why would that be?

Maybe because he possibly had a HC that “did not work to help a strengths”? 

where have I heard that before.  

If anything typical  Tyrod was fools fold. 

See how shiny and bright his TD to INT ratio is.  

59 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I wouldnt hate having Foles next year, I would hate giving up much for him.  Just go get a real good prospect in the draft already.  Don't trade for a 6 year vet who has had 1 good season years ago and 3 good games out of 6 in 2018.  

Foles followed up his one good season with 2 terrible ones as a starter for both the Eagles and Rams..so bad, both teams gave up on him.  Then in 2018 he plays 6 games, 3 of which are outstanding, and 3 of which he averaged 149 yards had no TD's and 2 INT's.  

Why waste one or more picks on him then also spend a ton of picks to get a prospect?  Thats the craziest notion I have seen, there are SEVERAL Veteran QB options in FA available to hold the fort down for whatever rookie we go draft.  The ONLY way Foles trade makes sense is if the Bills FO believe he is the QB to lead this team and they DONT plan to draft a QB this year.  

I just dont understand why anyone would want to give up VALUABLE draft picks for a veteran like Foles and then still also give up a bounty to move up and draft another QB.  Just sign Keenum, Bradford, Teddy, McCown, AJ, etc if that is the case where it cost NO draft picks then go draft a QB.  Hell, I would rather let Nate Pickerman play while the rookie we draft sits then give up assets for a guy we dont see as our future like Foles.  Even if we lose, who cares, its all about the future with the rookie.  

So a BIG NO on BOTH trading for Foles and drafting a QB high.  Either trade for Foles and pass on a QB and focus on the rest of the team in the draft...OR do NOT trade for foles, sign someone in FA and then draft our future high in the draft.

Conveniently leaving out that Foles had one of the best three seasons in the history of the game, I notice. Let's not belabor the point of just how freaking insanely good he was that year. Or that the other QB was pretty f'in horrible running the same offense while he was gone - some guy named Mike Vick. 

He comes back in 2014 and wins 6 and loses two. Be brave enough to compare his statistics in either year to the other quarterback on the team

Let's just look at the six games in 2018 together as a unit - with more than half of them against really good teams. iI would have been better than any QB not named Jim Kelly has ever put in the history of our team. Not to mention, he won 5 out of the 6 games (The one loss? He played for 1 quarter in a season finale tune-up against the Cowboys). This is in one of the years you are throwing away. Instead it simply is an example of confirming what you saw in 2013 and 2014.

In 2018, in 11 games, he threw for 11 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions. This compares pretty well with his outstanding 2013. And in case anyone was wondering, he was pretty good in his other playoff game I guess, putting up a 113 QB rating in '13. Putting together 2013-14 and this year past, he's only been 17-5. 

Comments that include that teams "gave up" on Nick Foles should be pretty indicative of how bad the management was. In one of the instances, he was traded for a former #1 pick. For instance, all in favor of lining up to have Jeff Fisher lead your team please line up under the gate saying Arbeit Macht Frei. And while we're thinking about that awful season in St. Louis, does anyone remember who the other quarterback was that the Rams gave up on in that season? Maybe, just maybe ... it wasn't the QB that was the problem.

Now ... should we give up a ton to get him? Probably not much more than the second second rounder and a fourth. Should we move up to get the "QB of the future"? That's an absolutely ridiculous idea. I'd scream bloody murder at the cost of moving up to #5, #4 or #2 unless there was a firesale going on. But Nick Foles for a 2+4? Highway robbery.

Y'all need to get a grip. Nick Foles is the freaking answer here folks. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Conveniently leaving out that Foles had one of the best three seasons in the history of the game, I notice. Let's not belabor the point of just how freaking insanely good he was that year. Or that the other QB was pretty f'in horrible running the same offense while he was gone - some guy named Mike Vick. 

He comes back in 2014 and wins 6 and loses two. Be brave enough to compare his statistics in either year to the other quarterback on the team

Let's just look at the six games in 2018 together as a unit - with more than half of them against really good teams. iI would have been better than any QB not named Jim Kelly has ever put in the history of our team. Not to mention, he won 5 out of the 6 games (The one loss? He played for 1 quarter in a season finale tune-up against the Cowboys). This is in one of the years you are throwing away. Instead it simply is an example of confirming what you saw in 2013 and 2014.

In 2018, in 11 games, he threw for 11 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions. This compares pretty well with his outstanding 2013. And in case anyone was wondering, he was pretty good in his other playoff game I guess, putting up a 113 QB rating in '13. Putting together 2013-14 and this year past, he's only been 17-5. 

Comments that include that teams "gave up" on Nick Foles should be pretty indicative of how bad the management was. In one of the instances, he was traded for a former #1 pick. For instance, all in favor of lining up to have Jeff Fisher lead your team please line up under the gate saying Arbeit Macht Frei. And while we're thinking about that awful season in St. Louis, does anyone remember who the other quarterback was that the Rams gave up on in that season? Maybe, just maybe ... it wasn't the QB that was the problem.

Now ... should we give up a ton to get him? Probably not much more than the second second rounder and a fourth. Should we move up to get the "QB of the future"? That's an absolutely ridiculous idea. I'd scream bloody murder at the cost of moving up to #5, #4 or #2 unless there was a firesale going on. But Nick Foles for a 2+4? Highway robbery.

1 good year in 6 seasons.

3 good games in 6 games started in 2018.

You want us to get a grip?

16 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Backup QB the past 3 seasons. In one of those seasons in 2015, he was actually the starter but then got benched for Case Kennum who was awful at the time.

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

LMAO. He didn't play the other seasons. OK, right.

What do you mean...he had one good year as a starter, then came back to earth with Eagles as a starter and fell on his face with Rams.  Both teams gave up on him after each of those years.  He was a starter 3 years, his only good year was his first year followed by 2 bad years.   So again, in 6 seasons, he has produced one good year and that predates 2 bad years as a starter.  

And in 2018, he had 6 games...3 were good, and the other 3 he averaged LESS than 150 yards per game, threw zero TDs and 2 INTs.  

So again, not against Foles, just dont want to over pay for a guy who has more bad than good on his 6 year resume.  I MUCH prefer getting our future QB at the top of the draft. 

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

What do you mean...he had one good year as a starter, then came back to earth with Eagles as a starter and fell on his face with Rams.  Both teams gave up on him after each of those years.  He was a starter 3 years, his only good year was his first year followed by 2 bad years.   So again, in 6 seasons, he has produced one good year and that predates 2 bad years as a starter.  

And in 2018, he had 6 games...3 were good, and the other 3 he averaged LESS than 150 yards per game, threw zero TDs and 2 INTs.  

So again, not against Foles, just dont want to over pay for a guy who has more bad than good on his 6 year resume.  I MUCH prefer getting our future QB at the top of the draft. 

These Foles threads are pretty much OBE with the way things are trending.