Does signing Vontae say anything about EJ Gaines?

Ramza86

22 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Well lets not forget about Vontae's injury last year. 

To be honest, id rather have both on the team unless the Bills will pursue something else this offseason/draft.

Yea he had a tough injury last year but for the most part has been on the field throughout his career. I really like Gaines but for 9 million its tough to sign him when hes missing a lot of games. I thought the Vontae signing was a good cheaper answer to address CB2

23 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Does it mean hes gone? Do we need to have both? Did we have any rotational guys do well in EJ's absence? I remember there was one guy out there last year that was horrible. 

I think it means Beane knows Gaines agents asking price for him and considers it too high while Gaines agent thinks he'll get it.

Given the injury history missing almost 1/3 of the games this year and limited in a couple more, I kind of understand the reluctance to shell out top dollar.

On 2/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Johnson was more than adequate at Nickel. When Tre, Gaines, and LJ were on the field - it was a no fly zone. The problems occurred when Wright would have to fill in for EJ. Which was too often for my liking.

Agree. And he along with Poyer were the the best tackling DBs in the secondary.

More than likely Gaines is gone, although I don't think it is impossible for Gaines to come back if his terms are reasonable. But at this stage of Gaines career, I doubt he takes a discount. So I think he is gone, unless McD views nickel as the base defense and wants 3 good corners. Then if the market for Gaines is more reasonable I think they might make a more competitive offer. That being said cap space is limited and they just committed over 10% of their available cap space to a corner and committing more of that space to another corner might not be appealing. If I were the GM considering how often the team is in nickel  I would make a reasonable offer to Gaines he was such a stud when healthy and having 3 stud corners with 2 good safeties is such an advantage for a team that is dependant on their secondary. 

I also think that Gaines at around 6 million doesn't prevent you from signing a run stuffing DT to plug a hole in the front 7 either. If you miss out on Kirk Cousins Then you clearly have to spend elsewhere on the roster. 

Edited by billsfan89