Anybody find the lack of Defense in the NFL boring?

Mikie2times

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

2 of the top defenses (Jags and Eagles) looked like they were playing 7 on 7 in practice as the offenses marched up and down the field at times in the playoffs (Jags: PIT in divisional round and the 2nd half of the AFC Title game) (Eagles: Super Bowl)

Even the vaunted Seattle defense couldn't stop NE in the SB with a 24-14 4th quarter lead. It's just too hard to keep a good offense down with all the rule changes and timely penalties, plus the reluctance to call offensive holding.

The Seattle-NE game result was not the product of "all the rule changes".  If you recall, that game was decided on a defensive play for the ages.

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Maybe not but it still changed the game... could be that there is more pass attempts now therefore more QB's dropping back... therefore more QB injuries

but IMO the game is not as much fun as it used to be and I too miss the game I grew up loving compared to today's version. I miss the days when RB's where worthy of 1st rd picks where QB's threw for 3000yds in a season and were considered awesome for doing so... 

There seem like there was more balance and the game was truly won in the trenches.. A game of inches

I'm not sure why Low scoring eras (if they existed) would be more attractive to fans.  That's 3 and outs and punts.  

Maybe "fotbol" will be more attractive?

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Nope,  the game is played exactly the same way as when they had the single wing. Just ask WEO. PPG is only up a smidgen so it all has to be the same. 

You know, you should focus on keeping your own arguments consistent rather than fabricating ones that I am not making.

Others may share your sentiment, but that doesn't make your loose grasp of the facts more firm.

You need to bail out.  Just trying to help.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You know, you should focus on keeping your own arguments consistent rather than fabricating ones that I am not making.

Others may share your sentiment, but that doesn't make your loose grasp of the facts more firm.

Since you live in a vortex of league averages and you have clearly demonstrated all PPG data falls in line the last 30 years, let me ask you to consider a question...

Top 3 QB today faces the most elite coverage in NFL history, who posts a 100QB average on the year vs a top 5 defense?

Top 3 QB 30 years ago who faces league average coverage ability, who posts a 90QB rating on the year vs a top 5 defense?

This is where your argument turns to crap. That QB 30 years ago played against defenses with much more diversity. All 32 teams did not focus a #1 priority in stopping the pass. Today's good pass defenses are the best in NFL history and they still aren't enough to stop the best pass offenses. 30 years ago you might face a lot of puppies, but then you might run into an elite pass defending squad. Same with running the ball. Teams had diversity and depending on the strength they had those strengths could lead to some compelling match up's. Now what is your match up? I'm a Bills fan, that's all I am.  I will follow the Bills. But I don't watch anymore NFL football. College football has been able to maintain that unique identity each team has in the ways the NFL has lost it.  PPG does not capture anything being described.  To answer the original question I posed, if the goal was winning, you would take the first scenario every time.      

Edited by KzooMike

11 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Since you live in a vortex of league averages and you have clearly demonstrated all PPG data falls in line the last 30 years, let me ask you to consider a question...

Top 3 QB today faces the most elite coverage in NFL history, who posts a 100QB average on the year vs a top 5 defense?

Top 3 QB 30 years ago who faces league average coverage ability, who posts a 90QB rating on the year vs a top 5 defense?

This is where your argument turns to crap. That QB 30 years ago played against defenses with much more diversity. All 32 teams did not focus a #1 priority in stopping the pass. Today's good pass defenses are the best in NFL history and they still aren't enough to stop the best pass offenses. 30 years ago you might face a lot of puppies, but then you might run into an elite pass defending squad. Same with running the ball. Teams had diversity and depending on the strength they had those strengths could lead to some compelling match up's. Now what is your match up? I'm a Bills fan, that's all I am.  I will follow the Bills. But I don't watch anymore NFL football. College football has been able to maintain that unique identity each team has in the ways the NFL has lost it.  PPG does not capture anything being described.  To answer the original question I posed, if the goal was winning, you would take the first scenario every time.      

So you have complained throughout and changed your point as WEO has owned you several times and now you say you do not watch the NFL anymore - then how do you know what is going on.  There are still good hard hitting defenses - just as in years past.  There are good offenses, good teams with running games, teams with good front 7 and teams with good DB play.

Has the league changed anger over the years - yes, but not as dramatically as your post wants to make it out.  Overall scoring is about the same, but the players are much more athletic all over the field.  The fact that scoring has not changed much, but we now have kickers that can make 60+ yard kicks on every team as opposed to a 40 yarder being a crap shoot means defenses are still making plays before offenses can get into scoring range.  The addition of the 2 point play also has potential to add to scoring, but overall scoring has not changed.

The increase in passing also lengthens the game - so overall the number of plays per game is up, but scoring has remained- which means that overall - defenses today are better than their counterparts from years ago.  The rule changes overall have had little effect on the play.  What does effect play is the changes the offensive and defensive coaches have made in game planning.  Years ago the prolific offenses had deep outside passing games that accounted for lots of yards, but also a higher incompletion rate.  The advent of the 49ers West Coast offense with tons of short passes changed the balance as to why QB numbers are up and passing become more prolific.

Overall - I loved football in the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, and today.  Is it different - yes, but if you can not appreciate the greatness of today’s defenses that is on you.  If defenses had not evolved and the rules had the impact you stated - then yeah the offense and scoring would be way up, but it is not.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Seattle-NE game result was not the product of "all the rule changes".  If you recall, that game was decided on a defensive play for the ages.

I'm not sure why Low scoring eras (if they existed) would be more attractive to fans.  That's 3 and outs and punts.  

Maybe "fotbol" will be more attractive?

They were not low scoring era's there was plenty of scoring.  Your soccer reference was weak sauce.. were not talking 1990's NHL of 1-0 2-1 games here.. There was plenty of great games. Just felt more balanced

Look you obviously have your preference.. I find today's NFL to be unbalanced. Not necessarily in stats but what the product looks like.Maybe I will feel better when we land our Brady/Peyton/Brees/Rogers... however I guess old farts like me will probably always prefer the game we watched when we were younger

Edited by ddaryl

13 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I'm sorry, but you've lost me.  This whole paragraph....I can make little sense of it. 

I've done my best.  You win.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

They were not low scoring era's there was plenty of scoring.  Your soccer reference was weak sauce.. were not talking 1990's NHL of 1-0 2-1 games here.. There was plenty of great games. Just felt more balanced

Look you obviously have your preference.. I find today's NFL to be unbalanced. Not necessarily in stats but what the product looks like.Maybe I will feel better when we land our Brady/Peyton/Brees/Rogers... however I guess old farts like me will probably always prefer the game we watched when we were younger

I'm an old fart!

There will still be the occasional great defense, but really it wasn't all that common even in the "good old days." Sure you had some good defensive units, but the truly elite defenses were maybe 1-2 per decade.

The NFC teams were steamrolling the AFC teams in Super Bowls and their offenses look unstoppable long before it was a passing or QB league and long before recent rule changes. It's just so difficult to assemble and keep all of that talent and have everyone hit their prime at once. These days as soon as that happens you pick a few to overpay to keep and lose your depth and the whole thing falls apart. Seattle is a great example. So much for that vaunted defense.