Dolphins place franchise tag on Jarvis Landry; permission to seek trade

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

1 more first down per game is one more drive extended per game.

Brown's average salary is $17M

Green signed a deal with AAV of $15M 3 years ago.

Davante Adams plays with Aaron Rodgers and put up JAG numbers and got $14.5M AAV

With the cap going up, $15M AAV is not too big of a price.

It certainly is for a volume-based possession receiver. Nick O’Leary had more 20 yard receptions last year! You can find guys to move the chains for a lot less. 

Last year Landry caught 69.6% of his targets, averaged 6.13 yards per target and scored a TD on 5.6% of his targets.

Robert Woods caught 65.9% of his targets, averaged 9.19 yards per target and scored a TD on 5.9% of his targets.

Landry is not worth double what Woods is. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It certainly is for a volume-based possession receiver. Nick O’Leary had more 20 yard receptions last year! You can find guys to move the chains for a lot less. 

Last year Landry caught 69.6% of his targets, averaged 6.13 yards per target and scored a TD on 5.6% of his targets.

Robert Woods caught 65.9% of his targets, averaged 9.19 yards per target and scored a TD on 5.9% of his targets.

Landry is not worth double what Woods is. 

Woods had the best WR in sports playing opposite him to distract #1 CB's.

Also, didn't you say the Rams overpaid Woods once upon a time?

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Adam Thielen's deal came after his "fluke" year.  Tate's deal came after 4 JAG years with the Hawks.  Baldwin's deal came after his first year putting up 1k yards after 4 JAG years.

They aren't really comparable.

I don't think you're getting it.

The point here is very, very simple: you don't need to pay a guy $15M per to do what Landry does; you can find much cheaper options to play that role.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think you're getting it.

The point here is very, very simple: you don't need to pay a guy $15M per to do what Landry does; you can find much cheaper options to play that role.

Sure.  You can also end up with Andre Holmes and Jordan Matthews as your top 2 WR's too.

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Sure.  You can also end up with Andre Holmes and Jordan Matthews as your top 2 WR's too.

And what happened when Jordan Matthews got over 100 targets?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16763/jordan-matthews

Odd how similar his production-per-target numbers are to Landry's in those first 3 seasons isn't it?

Edited by thebandit27

6 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Woods had the best WR in sports playing opposite him to distract #1 CB's.

Also, didn't you say the Rams overpaid Woods once upon a time?

I did say that and still believe it. I pulled him out as a random example. Landry’s success is a product of targets not playmaking ability.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

And what happened when Jordan Matthews got over 100 targets?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16763/jordan-matthews

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

Right.  "Jordan Matthews can do what Sammy can do way cheaper!"  #2017Things

This we can all agree on; Jordan Matthews is not good at football.

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Right.  "Jordan Matthews can do what Sammy can do way cheaper!"  #2017Things

Actually, my exact comments from 2017 were that there's not one thing that Matthews can do as well as Sammy, including stay healthy.  Guess I was right.

And, amazingly, you're still missing the point.

Sammy showed with the Rams the exact same traits that he showed here: that he's dominant when he's targeted.  He doesn't get the targets for some reason...part of it is that McVay's offense is doing with WRs what Spagnuolo's defense did with pass rushers back in 2007; he's discovered that if he dresses 6 quality WRs and rotates them in bunches, opposing CBs who have to play 70+ snaps per game can't keep up (Spags did this with pass rushers and OTs who have to play 70+ snaps).

What has Landry shown?  He's shown that he can produce a lot of receptions and mediocre yardage/TD/first down totals if given a glut of targets.  Hooray, let's pay him like he's elite.

Edited by thebandit27

You two are badgering back and forth yet nobody has mentioned the ridiculously underwhelming, running back-esque 8.8 yards per catch Landry had this last year.

That’s a JAG number and a number that should say to a team that “hey gang, I’m not worth this franchise tag money, yo.”

Garbage player all around. In a theoretical league that actually punished cheap shots, Jarvis Landry wouldn't be in it. Hopefully he's traded out of the division, but ideally he's out of the league. to paraphrase one D. DeVito — "Jarvis Landry retire b*tch"

9 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

You two are badgering back and forth yet nobody has mentioned the ridiculously underwhelming, running back-esque 8.8 yards per catch Landry had this last year.

That’s a JAG number and a number that should say to a team that “hey gang, I’m not worth this franchise tag money, yo.”

Nobody mentioned his meager production?

Gee, I feel like I said it in every single post

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Nobody mentioned his meager production?

Gee, I feel like I said it in every single post

That would require reading the posts.  You expect way too much.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:59 PM, jmc12290 said:

Perception is a funny thing.

Landry has averaged more yards, catches and TD's over the last 3 years compared to Alshon.

And strikes fear into the heart of no defense.

?What have you done for me lately??

112 rec. 987 yards

That's not worth $16 million, no matter how you slice it.