Abandon Ship

TSNBDSC

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I appreciated the effort as well, but as someone posted above she’d probably be better served staying in the car with all the airbags and whatnot. 

That crap wouldn't help her much in a side impact of that nature.  

Getting the hell out of the way is a much better plan.

She had plenty of time to go and she went.  Smart woman.

35 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

That crap wouldn't help her much in a side impact of that nature.  

Getting the hell out of the way is a much better plan.

She had plenty of time to go and she went.  Smart woman.

Brave yes, smart I’m not so sure. There are a lot more things that can go wrong once you’re outside the vehicle...metal on metal usually ends better than metal on flesh in my experience.

It’s similar to being in a tractor that’s tipping, which I’ve done twice. Both times I resisted the urge to jump out of the seat as it went over (wasn’t wearing seatbelt and both were open cabs), which is counterintuitive, but ultimately the wise thing to do because as much as you may be banged around if it rolls when you’re in the seat, if you try to jump out it’s very likely to crush you as many tractor operators have had happened to them. One fairly recently in my area, he was found by his wife after he went mowing the acerage behind his house, a little hilly, tractor goes over and he apparently tries to jump out and gets crushed to death. I’m pretty adamant inside the metal is safer than outside it.

The angle of her car and the angle of the semi shows she would have been better off staying in. If she falls to her left exiting the car, she's dead.

But if her car was straight-on with the semi in front of her, the rear semi would have killed her because it would have pushed her under it's cargo area through the windshield.

I see no good solution here. Glad she's ok.

• Thank you (+1) 2

She's lucky!  If she didn't slip and go down... That door hits her & whips her back and cut her in two... Then she gets lucky again and picks up her leg or she loses that.  She really lucked out... A second longer behind that door & she is a goner or stays upright... Goner!

She's between a rock and hard place, but made wrong choice.  The way semi ended up she would have been fine staying with vehicle... But she don't know that.

She got lucky big time.  Like jumping into to save a drowning person... That is your LAST resort.