Starman

TSNBDSC

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm so old I thought this was some obscure reference to an old Jeff Bridges scifi movie.

I'm so old I thought this was some obscure reference to an old David Bowie song.

EDIT: oops, I should've clicked the second link before posting

Edited by SinceThe70s

14 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm so old I thought this was some obscure reference to an old Jeff Bridges scifi movie.

As did I.  

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm so old I thought this was some obscure reference to an old David Bowie song.

EDIT: oops, I should've clicked the second link before posting

Sound doesn't travel in a vacuum so ......     he's lip syncing 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Starperson.

And the booster recovery was the most awesome thing I've seen in years.  That was like watching a living Heinlein novel.

I was a big Elon Musk critic/skeptic until I saw Space-X's first booster recovery a couple years ago.  Now if I could just that full self-driving me promised me for my Tesla... 

18 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Starperson.

And the booster recovery was the most awesome thing I've seen in years.  That was like watching a living Heinlein novel.

Right? As I mentioned once in PPP, whether you love him or hate him...Elon Musk is easily the most compelling businessman of the last 50 years.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

yup and people  are saying it is all fake too 

As Musk pointed out, CGI's so good these days that, had they faked it, it would have looked more realistic.

The brilliance of launching the car into orbit is obvious now: we're still talking about the launch?  Would we be if they launched a service bus with dead weight for the test?  Brilliant marketing. 

Edited by DC Tom

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

As Musk pointed out, CGI's so good these days that, had they faked it, it would have looked more realistic.

The brilliance of launching the car into orbit is obvious now: we're still talking about the launch?  Would we be if they launched a service bus with dead weight for the test?  Brilliant marketing. 

By far.  

2 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

How does nobody recognize that the inspiration for this was the opening scene from Heavy Metal?

Seems like he might owe some royalties.  

18 hours ago, DC Tom said:

http://thehill.com/opinion/technology/372994-spacex-could-save-nasa-and-the-future-of-space-exploration

Apparently, NASA and USAF were offered a free ride on this test flight. It's a good thing they passed on that invitation, or this might not have gotten as much attention.

A lot of (ahem...) Twitter users were blasting this as "an out of touch rich white guy who just wanted to shoot his car into space." The dude just sparked the next saga in space exploration, and they're mad about how he is going about it.

Edited by sodbuster

27 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

http://thehill.com/opinion/technology/372994-spacex-could-save-nasa-and-the-future-of-space-exploration

Apparently, NASA and USAF were offered a free ride on this test flight. It's a good thing they passed on that invitation, or this might not have gotten as much attention.

Not surprising.  On a first launch, they wouldn't want to risk any functional hardware, and have no need to launch dead weight.

28 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

A lot of (ahem...) Twitter users were blasting this as "an out of touch rich white guy who just wanted to shoot his car into space." The dude just sparked the next saga in space exploration, and they're mad about how he is going about it.

Morons.  He dumped billions into building a rocket that slashed cost to LEO by about a factor of 10.  What, they think they could do better taxing him and giving the money to NASA?  (Hint: SpaceX announced their new rocket last year - the BFR - will launch 125 tons to LEO, be fully reusable, and will still beat NASA's SLS to orbit.)

43 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Not surprising.  On a first launch, they wouldn't want to risk any functional hardware, and have no need to launch dead weight.

Morons.  He dumped billions into building a rocket that slashed cost to LEO by about a factor of 10.  What, they think they could do better taxing him and giving the money to NASA?  (Hint: SpaceX announced their new rocket last year - the BFR - will launch 125 tons to LEO, be fully reusable, and will still beat NASA's SLS to orbit.)

I have no doubt SLS will beat BFR off the pad, but it's being built using tech thats already obsolete. Government spaceflight at it's finest.

The Falcon 9, on the other hand, was improved on the fly, and its current iteration is as powerful as the Falcon Heavy was first intended to be. It's the exact opposite of what's going on over at NASA/ULA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 1:19 PM, DC Tom said:

Well, they screwed up the billion dollar launch pad meant for the SLS. 

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/02/sls-ml-leaning-not-corrective-work/