February Movies: Black Panther, 15:17 To Paris, Annihilation, & Game Night.

Mark Vader

Went to see "Winchester" last night. Bad. A bunch of jump scares. They wore thin. Absolutely no tension building. The acting was average I guess. They didn't even really explore the oddities and uniqueness of the house that much. Which is strange because it's what the movie's title is. I guess it was a try to give us Hollywoods anti-gun point of view but they weren't even really effective in doing that. Don't bother 4/10

Saw Black Panther. It was okay; nothing special.

It's was more political than funny. Maybe it tried to be more relevant than it should have been; not the super-hero escape I expected/wanted. 

I will say that the Villian was the most interesting character in the movie, a rarity for Marvel. 

With the hype, it should have been more epic.

Edited by unbillievable

So is the tone of the movie more along the lines of Winter Soldier? I think that one may have been my favorite of the bunch (and it just so happens to be on FX right now).

im going with the hood on Saturday. 

Edited by shrader

On 2/11/2018 at 10:49 PM, Bills4everNY said:

I saw Winchester this weekend. I'd say it was mediocre at best. Surprised Helen Mirren took the role.

Dang, that looked really good, wanted to see that.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:03 PM, Mr. WEO said:

This was one of the few movies I almost walked out of ever.  Unbelievably bad---and from Clint Eastwood!

Mind numbingly boring---it's the actual 3 guys playing themselves....badly!  You have to suffer through what has to be the least fun Bro trip through Europe....ever.  

The actual attack and subduing of the terrorist accounts for about 3 minutes of the movie.  The rest is completely boring backstory of the very boring lives of these three dudes.  Their trip through Europe seems never ending and is incredibly badly retold by Eastwood.  It's all selfie stick pictures and "hey, should we go get a beer?"  "Let's go to Venice....or something".

It's brutal.

Wow! Eastwood Is Usually Great.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

So is the tone of the movie more along the lines of Winter Soldier? I think that one may have been my favorite of the bunch (and it just so happens to be on FX right now).

im going with the hood on Saturday. 

It's a more serious movie, but the focus is on introducing A LOT of new characters and show-casing Wakanda. There were a few funny scenes and dialogue but sometimes those felt out of place. These characters aren't the type to deliver one-liners, with the exception of the sister, which was the most likable character. 

Also, the use of shaky-cam for many of the action scenes ruined them for me,  even though the director stuck some great shots in there So basically you get a blur of movement, a hero-shot, then more blur. This was my biggest problem with the movie. 

The closest comparison would be Civil War, but with characters we've never seen before playing major roles. (plus the shaky-cam).

Saw Annihilation last night.  Weird film, but that's not surprising given the source material.  The cinematography, audio, jumps in timeline, and how the strange content was handled made it feel like a Lars Von Trier film in some senses.