In-Depth Breakdown of Sam Darnold by Eliot Crist and Other Analysts

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Darnold is about 220lbs.

Rodgers was 224@ combine I think.

Ben was 240+@combine.

He's more comparable to Rodgers size, but I do agree about the arm and style being more comparable to Ben

"Sources out west" "dialed in at USC"

Stahp.

His source out west is me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sam Darnold: Special in crunch time | NFL Draft news and analysis | Pro Football Focus

While the 2017 season may not have lived up to the lofty expectations that were set for USC quarterback Sam Darnold, there was still plenty to like when it comes to his future projection. His 13 interceptions raised eyebrows in NFL circles, and they certainly tell a story, as that number could have been far higher and it was worse when adding bad fumbles into the mix. But Darnold’s season is best when broken into two parts. His four worst games came between Weeks 4 and 7, as he ranked 144th among 147 qualified quarterbacks nationally during that four-game stretch.

However, taking out those four games and he would have been ranked third in the nation behind only Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma State’s Mason Rudolph.

The more I read about QB mechanics and "arm talent" flaws these days, the more I admire Dan Marino.  (I hated him when he played possibly more than I hate Brady now!)

The guy's arm motion was so tight, compact, efficient, and he still has the fastest release of anyone I've seen.

No wasted motion; no foot dancing; no nervous tapping the ball with his non-throwing hand.  

It was like one second he is calmly holding the ball and looking downfield, the next .2 second the ball is gone. 

How were scouts not huge on the guy at Pitt? 

31 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The more I read about QB mechanics and "arm talent" flaws these days, the more I admire Dan Marino.  (I hated him when he played possibly more than I hate Brady now!)

The guy's arm motion was so tight, compact, efficient, and he still has the fastest release of anyone I've seen.

No wasted motion; no foot dancing; no nervous tapping the ball with his non-throwing hand.  

It was like one second he is calmly holding the ball and looking downfield, the next .2 second the ball is gone. 

Because they focused too much on his final-season stats at Pitt rather than focusing on projecting him to the NFL. I feel similarly about Darnold, who I think is the best QB talent in this draft. People need to remember that Darnold is 20 years old. He will get better. He has all of the talent in the world too. 

42 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Didn’t he have some of the old “off-field concerns”?  I think he dropped some as a result. 

On 1/31/2018 at 9:05 PM, YoloinOhio said:

He really had no time to do anything - it was like they lined up 5 turnstiles for an OL...the downfield throws that he made  with DL in his face (except for the pick 6) were impressive 

Perhaps he "got his bell rung" a bit which could explain looking " terrified, dazed, uninterested, disengaged "

BOOK ON SAM DARNOLD
Bucky Brooks breaks down every aspect of quarterback Sam Darnold as a draft prospect, including game film, scout's notes, pro comps and best team fits.

Editor's note: NFL.com analyst and former NFL scout Bucky Brooks reveals "the book on" some of the 2018 NFL Draft's most highly coveted prospects. In the third installment of the series, we look at USC QB Sam Darnold.

When the 2017 college football season was dubbed "The Year of the Quarterback", a lot of the hype surrounding the QB class could be traced to the expected performance of USC's Sam Darnold.

The hype train was in full effect after the young gunslinger led the Trojans to a dramatic come-from-behind win in the 2017 Rose Bowl to cap off a season where the team reeled off nine straight wins under his direction.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to In-Depth Breakdown of Sam Darnold by Eliot Crist and Other Analysts