Redskins pick at 13 now serious trade up opportunity?

Big Blitz

22 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

There were reasons as to why both Kelly and Marino fell so late in that year's draft.

Kelly had a shoulder separation so bad in his senior year he needed pins inserted to keep it together and was told by doctors he would never have a full throwing motion. Kelly would have been a top 5 pick or even competed against Elway for that #1 spot if not for that injury.

As for Dan Marino, it was said he partied way too much at Pitt and it was mentioned he smoked weed which caused quite a stir back then. 

Tony Eason actually went to a Super Bowl with the Patriots and the playoffs in years after. What didn't help was he was one of the most sacked QB's in the NFL at times and also led in INTs. Steve Grogan and Doug Flutie were also in the QB mix. The guy really only had one good year.

Blackledge was another story as even though he won a national championship at Penn St, he never did step up his game to the NFL level.

Absolutely.  And unless we make some major vault into the top three picks, we will need to have some baggage or perceived flaw or missed evaluation by other teams in order to get a top QB.  My larger point is that there are just about never four good QBs in a draft, so if you pick the fourth or fifth QB, it should be on the assumption that the other teams got it wrong, or as later round filler/backup.

Right now I would rather have Mayfield's perceived flaws of height and trouble making than Allen's inaccuracy in a superb athletic package. I think Rosen could be special and has flickers of Matt Ryan/Tom Brady in his game, but I don't think he leaves the top three.  Darnold I'm not bullish on right now as he has to grow a lot, but I have seen few enough games of him that I'm happy if I am wrong and we steal him.

Moving up is going to be expensive. Supply and demand. There are several teams who need a QB and who may be willing to move up, which changes the math. The typical draft trade values don't necessarily apply in this situation, where teams are bidding against each other to draft for the highest-value position on the field. Teams in the upper half of the draft can almost set whatever price they want...

7 hours ago, Koufax said:

Absolutely.  And unless we make some major vault into the top three picks, we will need to have some baggage or perceived flaw or missed evaluation by other teams in order to get a top QB.  My larger point is that there are just about never four good QBs in a draft, so if you pick the fourth or fifth QB, it should be on the assumption that the other teams got it wrong, or as later round filler/backup.

Right now I would rather have Mayfield's perceived flaws of height and trouble making than Allen's inaccuracy in a superb athletic package. I think Rosen could be special and has flickers of Matt Ryan/Tom Brady in his game, but I don't think he leaves the top three.  Darnold I'm not bullish on right now as he has to grow a lot, but I have seen few enough games of him that I'm happy if I am wrong and we steal him.

The thing is I'm more leery of Mayfield than I am with Allen and his supposed inaccuracy. At first glance, yes Mayfield stats look better but then he played on a much better team. Allen played last season with an offensive line that really struggled to protect him and open holes. His receivers really stunk and dropped a ton of catchable balls. 

For all the negatives I read about Allen he disproved with his play in the second half of the senior bowl as the kid looked like Big Ben out there breaking away from sackers and throwing with both accuracy, touch.  I would really like to see how Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold would have played like on that 2017 Wyoming team. I'm actually hoping that those other three get picked before Allen and the Broncos sign Cousins. That would leave Buffalo to contend with Arizona at #15.

Shoot, Mel Kiper thinks the Browns might draft Allen at #4. 

Keep the picks, and trade down if possible.  It could be a stroke of luck if 6 QBs are drafted ahead of 21.  If that happens, you draft BPA- not the 7th rated QB.  If anything I would trade down.  I liked trading down and drafting Travarious.  I didn't like trading up for Zay

On 1/31/2018 at 12:50 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I think trading up to 13 gets you closer to trading into the top 3, but anything short of a trade up for Allen-Darnold-Rosen, I probably would not bother.  

Is Allen your first choice based on that order?  Why Allen over Mayfield?

I guess I value production over potential - Allen is a high bust factor IMO.  Mayfield may have a slightly lower ceiling but a much higher floor.

52 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Is Allen your first choice based on that order?  Why Allen over Mayfield?

I guess I value production over potential - Allen is a high bust factor IMO.  Mayfield may have a slightly lower ceiling but a much higher floor.

My order is Rosen-Darnold-Allen-Mayfield-Jackson. I very badly want Rosen in a trade up. I love everything about his game and I actually like his confidence a lot. 

Allen and Mayfield are close for me but I just have to give the size factor to Allen. They both showed similar strengths and weakness, have footwork issues etc etc. if I have a guy who needs a lot of work I'd just rather have the 6-5 guy over the 6-0 guy. I also take the higher ceiling because we have not had a true top quarterback in a very long time. It's just a better long term investment. Can Mayfield be a top 15 guy? Sure. He's grown on me a lot. But Allen could be a top 5 type of guy. I'm going with higher potential. I'll gladly take either one honestly. I'd be ok with any of the top 5. After that I'm probably skipping on this draft.