The Cousins Plan

Just now, dneveu said:

If they keep him and draft someone you're using 30+ million of cap space on a placeholder.

not  a placeholder. A top 10 QB for one more year then you have no cap hit in 2019 from it. Its a clean break... Or they can toss a rookie in there right off the bat which I don't see as a smart move.

Which brings us back to Doh a dear a female dear......

IMO Washington will do every single possible thing they can do to get a return for Cousins whether that be one more season or assets in return.. There will be suitors for Cousins services, and there will be teams who will find it worth it to part with a pick or 2 to get Cousins and not let him get to free agency. I don't think any team will agree to 2 1st rd picks but a 1st rd pick and a day 3 pick might be enough and yes the team that is willing to make that move will be negotiating a deal that will be very kind to Cousins. 

I do not see a top 10 QB just being released to free agency under any circumstance. This a is a QB desperate league and Cousins is a known commodity that is a lot less risky than the majority of QB's offered in the draft or FA. Someone will step up and make an offer...

20 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I don't agree nearly every line gets beat from time to time.  We add a good QB that can actually get rid of the ball on time like Cousins and were bringing bk the power run scheme that this line thrived in that's gonna open up more play action passes. Our oline is far from horrible.  Last yr i seen plenty of plays where Tyrod just sat bk there and didn't deliever the ball. I believe as is this line is adequate enough to get the job done. 

LT Cordy 

LG Incog

C Groy

RG Miller / Dukaka

RT Dawkins 

True, except you missed the part where the OL got beat all the time.  Your fixation on not liking TT is skewing your ability to judge the pass protection.  Did the OL get beat bad on every single play...of course not, no one has ever been that bad.  But we are still not good in pass protection, and the funny thing is the only reason you don't think so is the same reason why you don't think its bad...Tyrod.  

I mean even in your descriptions you are identifying the weakness of the OL.  If a QB must get the ball out incredibly fast in order to keep from getting all the pressure, then your OL isn't doing a good job.  You cant drop back and get the ball down field.  This team is terrible in providing time for the QB consistently and when someone brings any pressure they walk right through it like it with little to no resistance.  Replace TT with someone who cant buy more time the way he has with his legs and this OL is going to an even bigger issue.  

Not to mention, Cordy is likely gone and Groy struggled in pass protection as a starting C.  I mean Groy is the only time I can remember where a Center contributed heavily to a loss when he came in after Wood got hurt.  The DL ran right buy him over and over again and crushed TT right after he snapped it and was getting hit before he even finished his drop back.  People seem to forget that around here even though everyone was calling for Groy to be cut in the shout box while that was happening.  

Its not even a lock Incognito is on this team come next year (although I personally think he will be).  We likely need a LT, C, and G and could need two Guards if they decide they need to rework Richies deal and he doesn't want to.  Not to mention depth behind them.  I seriously doubt we don't have at least 3 new starters on the OL this year.  I personally am not wanting to get rid of Glenn, but all signs seem to suggest they are going to try and trade him at this point likely because his cost an inability to stay on the field.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They have something like $52M in cap. 

I think Washington will work out a deal with a Cousins approved team. This will be done prior to any tag signing. The only other thing for W to do would be to pay the tag price which is ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

True, except you missed the part where the OL got beat all the time.  Your fixation on not liking TT is skewing your ability to judge the pass protection.  Did the OL get beat bad on every single play...of course not, no one has ever been that bad.  But we are still not good in pass protection, and the funny thing is the only reason you don't think so is the same reason why you don't think its bad...Tyrod.  

I mean even in your descriptions you are identifying the weakness of the OL.  If a QB must get the ball out incredibly fast in order to keep from getting all the pressure, then your OL isn't doing a good job.  You cant drop back and get the ball down field.  This team is terrible in providing time for the QB consistently and when someone brings any pressure they walk right through it like it with little to no resistance.  Replace TT with someone who cant buy more time the way he has with his legs and this OL is going to an even bigger issue.  

Not to mention, Cordy is likely gone and Groy struggled in pass protection as a starting C.  I mean Groy is the only time I can remember where a Center contributed heavily to a loss when he came in after Wood got hurt.  The DL ran right buy him over and over again and crushed TT right after he snapped it and was getting hit before he even finished his drop back.  People seem to forget that around here even though everyone was calling for Groy to be cut in the shout box while that was happening.  

Its not even a lock Incognito is on this team come next year (although I personally think he will be).  We likely need a LT, C, and G and could need two Guards if they decide they need to rework Richies deal and he doesn't want to.  Not to mention depth behind them.  I seriously doubt we don't have at least 3 new starters on the OL this year.  I personally am not wanting to get rid of Glenn, but all signs seem to suggest they are going to try and trade him at this point likely because his cost an inability to stay on the field.  

What makes so sure Cordy is out.  Why the hell would we open up another massive hole on our oline. U act like LTs grow on trees. The draft is not strong this yr at oline nor is free agency so where is these 3 players coming from.  Also u keep bringing up the Seattle gm where Groy came in on a fly but i don't hear any other examples of him not playing well the rest of the season.

Tyrod does allud pressure at time but u have to realize statistically he holds the ball longer then any other QB in the gm.  Those 5 guys are giving him that time to hold the ball. With the addition of a QB like Cousins i think our line is definitely good enough to play on sundays and win consistently are they the best no. But they block great for the run gm in the right system they might be actually the best at that considering what they did in 2015-16. With that being said there's much worse olines all around the NFL 

31 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If they can trade Glenn after 6/1 then they could add $11.25 million to the 2018 salary cap. Even releasing him would add $9.75 million.

Might be worth it.

We'll see, but I think this regime is very much in the Belichick model.   I think their view is that four players for $4 million each are always better than one player for $12 million.   I think if the Bills want Cousins and can save $10 million in cap space moving Glenn, it's happening.  

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

We'll see, but I think this regime is very much in the Belichick model.   I think their view is that four players for $4 million each are always better than one player for $12 million.   I think if the Bills want Cousins and can save $10 million in cap space moving Glenn, it's happening.  

When is enough enough? We keep opening additional holes on this team its gonna eventually bit them in the rear. 

Btw speaking of olines Cousins played nearly a Quarter of the season missing 4 starters on his line . Anyone see the Seahawks gm he played great despite getting hit on nearly every play he showed his durability big time during that stretch of the season .  Cousins would be a great addition to this team 

Writing is on the wall.  Washington is moving on from Cousins.  They wouldn't commit to a long term contract and are now stuck with letting him walk after paying him $50 million the past 2 years.  They're not giving him $33m for another year when he's 100% walking the following year.  Their former GM is already putting out the cover that Cousins isn't special as a CYA when he walks for free because of their front office's bad judgement.  

I want to Go on record as Saying I am 100% in on the sign Cousins at whatever dollar amount it takes. We have draft capital to fill a lot of holes this year and Rookies are being asked to start in today's NFL. If they are high round picks they can do the job ( Tre' White) rolling the dice in the draft on a QB uses too many picks when we need them  desperately ( look at the Browns dumpster fire). If we can't get Cousins then another vet .

11 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

When is enough enough? We keep opening additional holes on this team its gonna eventually bit them in the rear. 

I really think people need to look at what Beane and McD are doing.    They unloaded some of the best talent, by far, on the team - Gilmore, Watkins, Darby, Dareus, Woods.  They aren't afraid to let players walk.   It seems clear that they are operating very much in the Belichick model - get a lot of low priced players and teach them.  When they write a big check, it's for a Hogan or Gillislee, a check that isn't too hard to swallow if the guy doesn't work out.   The only place where they spend consistently is on shut down corners.  

I have no illusions about Glenn being protected.   McDermott will coach the players he has, and he's happy to do that.  

24 minutes ago, billykay said:

I think Washington will work out a deal with a Cousins approved team. This will be done prior to any tag signing. The only other thing for W to do would be to pay the tag price which is ridiculous.

I'm not quite clear on all the NFL rules, but to my understanding the last day to tag a player is March 6, and the first day of the league year is March 14.

When does this "deal with a Cousins approved team" get worked out and how?  If a team contacts Cousins and his agent and works out a deal he handshakes on without Washington in the loop before March 12, isn't that collusion?  And if he basically identifies a contract he's satisfied with with another team and Washington is in the loop, why wouldn't Washington just up and offer it to him?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I really think people need to look at what Beane and McD are doing.    They unloaded some of the best talent, by far, on the team - Gilmore, Watkins, Darby, Dareus, Woods.  They aren't afraid to let players walk.   It seems clear that they are operating very much in the Belichick model - get a lot of low priced players and teach them.  When they write a big check, it's for a Hogan or Gillislee, a check that isn't too hard to swallow if the guy doesn't work out.   The only place where they spend consistently is on shut down corners.  

I have no illusions about Glenn being protected.   McDermott will coach the players he has, and he's happy to do that.  

The major difference is we don't have #12 to fill the holes . But i see what your saying. This is even more of a reason to sign Cousins because they're gonna want to build this team in there image via the draft. Can't do that when u give up multiple pks in 2018 -19

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Not out of the realm of possibility considering the leverage point of view.. It will be interesting..

I still think Washington is willing to franchise and keep him if they can't get something in return for him. Even if they are able to land Josh Allen or another QB at 13 they would still most likely want a vet for at least another to groom a drafted QB

If they let cousins go then they are scrambling around for a vet IMO

A link that someone here posted, made the point that Washington can give Cousins and his agent permission to talk to any team at any time.  If true, that does make your scenerio more likely: Cousins and his agent talk and negotiate a deal (that is presumably richer than Washington is willing to give) and shake hands on it prior to March 6th.  They go back to Washington, Washington and the deal partner negotiate a trade, and if successful, Washington tags Cousins, Cousins signs the tag and is traded on the first day of the new league year.

There's a lot of moving parts and trust involved in that scenario -for example, what if Washington tags Cousins and the deal partner backs out or tries to lower the asking price on the trade?  Risk to Washington if they really don't want to pay and play him on the tag.  Now Cousins has already signed the tag, and he can be dealt anywhere.  Risk to Cousins.  or the Redskins decide to match or sweeten the offer, and the trade partner has essentially helped the Redskins sign Cousins and perhaps missed out on other chances.

March 6th, mark your calendars.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

29 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

What makes so sure Cordy is out.  Why the hell would we open up another massive hole on our oline. U act like LTs grow on trees. The draft is not strong this yr at oline nor is free agency so where is these 3 players coming from.  Also u keep bringing up the Seattle gm where Groy came in on a fly but i don't hear any other examples of him not playing well the rest of the season.

Tyrod does allud pressure at time but u have to realize statistically he holds the ball longer then any other QB in the gm.  Those 5 guys are giving him that time to hold the ball. With the addition of a QB like Cousins i think our line is definitely good enough to play on sundays and win consistently are they the best no. But they block great for the run gm in the right system they might be actually the best at that considering what they did in 2015-16. With that being said there's much worse olines all around the NFL 

One, I am not suggesting get rid of Glenn, wrote it right in the post you responded to.  I said there is a lot of talk they have already shopped Glenn and are going to shop him again.  And given how aggressive Beane has been at getting rid of big contracts, its certainly got credibility as a real possibility.  Two, I bring up that game because it was that bad.  Three, I don't want to hear this excuse of "came in on the fly"...he should have been FRESH compared to the other players on the field and had an advantage and still got destroyed.  Four, Groy was still rotating in that game across the line in sub packages, so just further erodes the "on the fly" excuse.  And Five, he wasn't very good in pass protection anytime he played.  He was actually better at Guard than he was at Center (which is the position you think he should be a starter at now that Wood is gone).  

And again, I don't care about the time TT holds the ball, it has nothing to do with the quality of pass protection.  The stat sheet on that is highly skewed and is in no way a barometer on how well the line holds up.  TT has a long hold time for a lot of reasons...and one of those reason is that the OL stinks and he frequently is running for his life.  TT does hold the ball long compared to many, but you are mistakenly applying that to ONLY mean he drops back, has all kinds of time with great protection and still doesn't throw.  This isnt even remotely close to accurate of what happens from play to play.

Sure, there are times where TT had good protection and could have gotten the ball out sooner.  But that is not the norm, TT is constantly under pressure and takes big shots all the time or is out there buying time with his legs which raises the stat of how long he holds the ball.  I just don't understand how anyone can actually watch the game and think the OL is good, doesn't matter how much anyone doesn't like TT, the OL needs serious help in pass protection.  

Even more funny, is that you completely disregard how bad the OL protected Peterman too, even making new excuses for the OL of why they don't protect Peterman either.  In fact, in all these constant examples of how the OL hasn't been good, you just make excuses to justify it.  You still haven't answered my question I asked multiple times about the Jets game. For me it was tied with the single worst OL performance I have ever seen...the only other game I remember that kind of dominance was when the Redskins ate the Raider line for lunch and destroyed Carr.  

OL needs significant improvement in pass protection, especially if we bring in Cousins or some shiny rookie that cant buy time with their legs.  Dont want our expensive QB getting killed in Cousins or our expensive rookie having his growth messed with because we cant protect him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The major difference is we don't have #12 to fill the holes . But i see what your saying. This is even more of a reason to sign Cousins because they're gonna want to build this team in there image via the draft. Can't do that when u give up multiple pks in 2018 -19

That's the conclusion I've come to.  These guys love picks, so if they like Cousins they sign him, unload Taylor and if necessary Glenn to give them enough cap room, draft a lot of talent this year, live through limited cap space this year, and then plug remaining holes in 2019.   It seems to be the lowest risk way to go.  

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's the conclusion I've come to.  These guys love picks, so if they like Cousins they sign him, unload Taylor and if necessary Glenn to give them enough cap room, draft a lot of talent this year, live through limited cap space this year, and then plug remaining holes in 2019.   It seems to be the lowest risk way to go.  

I hope Denver, Arizona, New York, Washington and Cleveland don’t figure that out too. A 5 team bidding war could really drive up the price.