Bills need to trade up into the top 5

Klaista2k

15 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I made a point, the other guy decided it was cool to insult me for it. I defended my point. I don't care about that dude. My point is that the goal is supposed to be sustained success is it not? If, as a GM your goal is to catch lightning in a bottle for a single season and make it to a championship, ok. But that's not a recipe for a successful franchise. 

Like I said....enjoy.  There are a bunch of non-consensus and later round picks on that list (other than Brady) who have sustained success for their franchise by anyone's metric.   You might not fancy Joe Flacco as a QB, but playoffs 6 of his first 7 years is hard to argue.   Ben Roethlisberger, 10 out of 14 years.  Aaron Rodgers, 8 out of 10 years.  Drew Brees 6 out of 12.  Matt Hasselbeck, 5 of his 1st 7 years with the Seasnakes.  Rich Gannon, 4 of his 6 years with Oak.,

To an extent, I get what you're saying.  Absolutely, if you want the best shot at drafting a QB who can play in the NFL, you find it in the top-2 picks of the first round.  That gives you something between 65-85% odds.  But that won't necessarily be Mr Franchise - he might just be a QB who can play in the NFL.  And conversely, let's not pretend that drafting the top 2 picks is the only way to get a QB who can play in the NFL, or even Mr Superbowl QB.

8 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

And yes you did base your argument on Brady when you posted a chart that relied mostly on his being there. 

Not only is that not true, but it was pointed out with examples that it isn't true.  " He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink ....."

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

38 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I don't think anyone is denying the variance and uncertainty in scouting. Still, if OBD likes a guy enough that they think he is going to be (instead of a franchise QB, I'll say) great, then they should trade up to get him.

I agree.  If the Bills think a particular guy is or could be "the Man", they should sell the farm for him - a guy like Luck etc.

I'm not sure there is such a guy this year.  I'm not a college football pundit, so maybe I'm wrong

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree.  If the Bills think a particular guy is or could be "the Man", they should sell the farm for him - a guy like Luck etc.

I'm not sure there is such a guy this year.  I'm not a college football pundit, so maybe I'm wrong

I am not sure there is either.  All of the blue chips have issues.  Darnold and Allen have a ton of potential upside, but potential upside realized is a bit of a unicorn.

I like the idea of White in the second round the best.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hear that, fair take. 

Personally, I like Rosen and Darnold, but really hope we move up for Mayfield. 

I don't think there is a can't miss qb prospect this year, they are all flawed. Allen played for Wyoming and completed 56% of passes for the last two years, yet teams will mortgage their future because of his prototypical size and potential. Some people seem completely clueless about what it would cost to move into the top 5, and which guy is the absolute lock? As for that chart of Super bowl qbs, 26 out of 40 were drafted outside the top 10, including 13 of the 20 winners. Even if Brady had lost every SB it would be 11 out of 20 and it would be 3 udfa winners.

On 1/25/2018 at 5:23 AM, Klaista2k said:

If we want a top quarterback there's no doubt in mind we need to trade up into the top 5.

Look at all the teams drafting early that need a quarterback. Browns, Giants, Broncos, Jets, etc. So if we want a top quarterback we absolutely need to make a bold move and get into the top 5 of the draft. 

The 1st pick is probably out of the question because that would take too much capital and I doubt the Browns would even want to move out of that spot. I think realistically we need to inquire with the Giants, Colts, and Browns (about their 4th) to see if they are open to moving down. 

It will probably take a lot of picks to move up but we don't really have a choice if we want a shot at a franchise QB like Darnold, Allen, or Rosen. 

No, OP, we really don’t. Way too much traded away in anticipation of this years’ Draft to toss in the chips on a rookie possibility. 

On 1/25/2018 at 8:15 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Keep in mind that they have assets to trade in addition to draft picks, such as players they may be ready  to move on from ... Cordy Glenn, Tyrod Taylor). There are teams such as the Browns who actually prefer vets because they have a very young team, already a plethora of picks, and have a difficult time getting vets to sign in FA.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:41 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Tyrod, Glenn, Hughes, and Lawson are all potential throw ins imo.

(Not advocating any of these, just giving my thoughts on the situation)

Hughes is due to cost like $10.5 mil each of the next 2 years, we could cut to take a $5.8 cap hit this year, or cut after next year to rake only a $2.8

He's a solid player, could be a nice throw in for another team if we want to trade, though I'm okay with keeping him.

Lawson is only $2.8 and $3.2 against the cap the next 2 years, but almost triple that each year if we cut him. If MCD isn't happy with him, and isn't going to play him, then sure, trade away. He's a cheap, young, decent player though, so I'm kind of on the fence about giving up on him, but maybe he's lazy or can't do what is required for the system? Not sure.

Glenn is a nightmare. He's owed #3 highest tackle salary at $14.5 million, missed a huge chunk of time, and then lost his starting job. If we cut him he's $11.5 dead cap. He can be cut after 2018 to only be $6.5 dead cap in 19. If we can trade him, I'm all for it, although I'm not sure he's worth much.

Nobody is trading anything worthwhile for Taylor.

He's going to be cut, so why give up assets for a guy who you can sign cheaper than the $18mil cap hit.