Bills worst break in last four years...

Dr. K

The others have been pretty sound, but rolling the dice on Williams was a gutsy call that failed miserably,...

20185[/snapback]

I wouldn't say "rolling the dice". Williams pedigree was just as good as the others - he just din't make the Super Bowl that year (plus, he was overshadowed by Head Coach Jeff Fischer).

He had a top defense, excellent recommendations, he was well-prepared. What's not to like?

So, yes it was a surprise. Yes, it was a miserable failure. But, I wouldn't agree on "rolling the dice".

I didnt see doug winning 10 games after a 0-3 start man.  He did play well, well enough to be able to win.  That Miami game should of been in Buffalo but we were cheated.  Remember that pass int. in the endzone?

20226[/snapback]

That's pretty much all I need to know to make an assessment on your opinion of that QB controversy. (I'm assuming you meant to say "Rob" in the quote above.)

You see, only the so-called "Flutopians" recall such an inaccurate history.

I'm sure you have long forgotten the 30+ points the offense scored against the Rams in week 3 (only to lose on a last second Tony Banks TD run) and I'm sure you have totally forgotten that Rob ripped the 49ers in week 4 for the Bills 1st win.

It is only in the minds of Dougie's dear fanatics did the Bills start 0-3 only for the little general to come in and win 10 games.

An interesting theory to say that GW was brought in as a transitional guy while TD cleaned up Butler's cap mistakes. But in order for that to occur, RW would have to have been on board with that plan also.

That would have required RW to buy into TD's 3-5 year plan, which is a tough sell if you are sitting across from RW interviewing for the GM job. I can hear it now,

"Well, Mr. Wilson, actually your team sucks and the only way to clean up this cap mess is to bag it for 3-5 years while we start making the cap numbers work. We'll keep telling the fans we are up-and comers, keep our no-name head coach as long as the fans will let us, and then we'll hire another no-name until we get the cap fully under control. Down the road we can hire a name coach when we are ready to win."

"What do you say Ralphie boy, do I get the job?"

If RW bought into that one, he obviously must be a big believer in cryogenics.

Ill go with letting guests post! 

No... I think the whole Butler situation was really bad tied in with GW and that Titans playoff game

I will also say pulling Flutie was bad for the Titans game. RJ played well with the pressure but I still think if we would of won that game we would of gone to the bowl that year to beat the Rams.  Flutie running a bootleg in with no time remaining.  Would of been nice!

20218[/snapback]

Did you notice how bad our offense was the last 8 games of 1999? You're love for one player is making you blind!

RJ didn't play like a Pro Bowler but when he left the field for the last time, he gave us the lead.

Oh and please give the defense it's due--it was #1 in the league for a reason! :flirt:

"Homerun throw-up" has been the defining moment for the franchise, in the post-Levy era. If we had one that game, IMO, we would have been a very strong Super Bowl contender. Success in sports has a way of breeding more success, losing normaly brings more of the same...

I didnt see doug winning 10 games after a 0-3 start man.  He did play well, well enough to be able to win.  That Miami game should of been in Buffalo but we were cheated.  Remember that pass int. in the endzone?

20226[/snapback]

An interesting theory to say that GW was brought in as a transitional guy while TD cleaned up Butler's cap mistakes.  But in order for that to occur, RW would have to have been on board with that plan also.

That would have required RW to buy into TD's 3-5 year plan, which is a tough sell if you are sitting across from RW interviewing for the GM job.  I can hear it now,

"Well, Mr. Wilson, actually your team sucks and the only way to clean up this cap mess is to bag it for 3-5 years while we start making the cap numbers work.  We'll keep telling the fans we are up-and comers, keep our no-name head coach as long as the fans will let us, and then we'll hire another no-name until we get the cap fully under control.  Down the road we can hire a name coach when we are ready to win."

"What do you say Ralphie boy, do I get the job?"

If RW bought into that one, he obviously must be a big believer in cryogenics.

20312[/snapback]

It was more like this I would guess:

TD: "Well Mr Wilson you've got a nasty cap mess on your hands. This isn't going to be easy to fix, and it isn't going to be pretty while it's in process. You're going to have alot of young players on your roster for a few years. Also, you have to sign a head coach who would be willing to sign up for what is pretty clearly a no-win assignment. You never know in this league, it might turn around quicker than I think, but this is how I see it. "

RW: "uh... OK"

It was more like this I would guess:

TD: "Well Mr Wilson you've got a nasty cap mess on your hands.  This isn't going to be easy to fix, and it isn't going to be pretty while it's in process.  You're going to have alot of young players on your roster for a few years.  Also, you have to sign a head coach who would be willing to sign up for what is pretty clearly a no-win assignment.  You never know in this league, it might turn around quicker than I think, but this is how I see it. "

RW: "uh... OK"

20660[/snapback]

Oh, one other thing before I leave. I'm planning on using our 2003 first round pick on a player that won't play a down for us until the following season. Is that OK Mr. Wilson?

20226[/snapback]

Clarification: Rob Johnson won at least the first game after the 0-3 start. I was there when we beat the Niners and I distinctly remember RJ quarterbacking that game.

Ah yes here it is. RJ 19-27-254-1-0. He got hurt in the next game against Indy.

RJ also won the last regular-season game, against New Orleans, by passing for 216 yards and 3 TDs.

I hate both those guys, but credit where it's due. Flutie won eight games that season, not ten. And Belichick completely exposed him as a sham in the Jets game.

And besides, why are we even talking about that season? The topic was the last four years. The season we're talking about now was 1998. Six seasons ago.

"Homerun throw-up" has been the defining moment for the franchise, in the post-Levy era.  If we had one that game, IMO, we would have been a very strong Super Bowl contender.  Success in sports has a way of breeding more success, losing  normaly brings more of the same...

20341[/snapback]

I've heard this said a few times and I honestly just don't get it. Everyone rips on RJ pretty much saying he is the bottom of the barrel of QBs...yet they still think that if home run throw back didn't happen we could have gone to the Super Bowl...so which is it?

Neither Flutie or RJ were capable of getting this team to the Super Bowl that year. Yeah, the D might have been the best i the league but averaging 13 points a game on offense wasn't going to get it done two times on the road in the playoffs.