Could have Bills nation just started a trend?

Why do Bills fans need any credit? It's like the whole "12th man" thing.

-"We started that!"

-"No, WE started that!"

-"Nuh uh"

I'm sure it's not the first time a fan donated to a player's charity due to a favorable play. It's just the first time it's been done to this magnitude, starting with the circumstances around it (the drought, how the Bengals pulled off an improbable win).

It won't be too often that we see a team make the playoffs for the first time in almost two decades under those kind circumstances and with that kind of drama. 

And if this does become a true, long-term trend, first of all, GOOD! This kind of thing is what's right with the world, and while it was born out of fun, it's a bit of a "faith restored in humanity" kind of thing. We don't need to stake claim to starting the trend. Besides, there's been a ton of press coverage on it. Millions of people all over the world are seeing what Bills fans have done this week, and they won't forget it. But it doesn't need a wiki page for people to remember in 50 years that we started that. All that matters is that we get the bittersweet satisfaction of knowing that we've helped some very unfortunate people in a very tough time for them. Money and bills (pun) should be that last thing they should have to worry about when it comes to sick children, but unfortunately, it's a very real concern. Alleviating that burden however possible is enough "gratification" that we should need. 

/

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Why do Bills fans need any credit? It's like the whole "12th man" thing.

-"We started that!"

-"No, WE started that!"

-"Nuh uh"

I'm sure it's not the first time a fan donated to a player's charity due to a favorable play. It's just the first time it's been done to this magnitude, starting with the circumstances around it (the drought, how the Bengals pulled off an improbable win).

It won't be too often that we see a team make the playoffs for the first time in almost two decades under those kind circumstances and with that kind of drama. 

And if this does become a true, long-term trend, first of all, GOOD! This kind of thing is what's right with the world, and while it was born out of fun, it's a bit of a "faith restored in humanity" kind of thing. We don't need to stake claim to starting the trend. Besides, there's been a ton of press coverage on it. Millions of people all over the world are seeing what Bills fans have done this week, and they won't forget it. But it doesn't need a wiki page for people to remember in 50 years that we started that. All that matters is that we get the bittersweet satisfaction of knowing that we've helped some very unfortunate people in a very tough time for them. Money and bills (pun) should be that last thing they should have to worry about when it comes to sick children, but unfortunately, it's a very real concern. Alleviating that burden however possible is enough "gratification" that we should need. 

/

Its not a bad thing to be recognized as the fan base that started a positive thing...

it transcends the “culture” of jumping on burning tables, dying in streams, exceeding dwi arrest records and falling off upper decks. 

Positivity is contagious. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Its not a bad thing to be recognized as the fan base that started a positive thing...

it transcends the “culture” of jumping on burning tables, dying in streams, exceeding dwi arrest records and falling off upper decks. 

Funny and true!  Go Bills!  And go us, amazing win and love how much we are enjoying it!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Donating to Dalton, Boyd..... it is going to be copied thanks to this go fund me world... every time somebig play happens... hell it might even become the NFL compensation model too?

It’s not a bad thing, but of this becomes a thing, will Bills fans get the credit for making it a thing? 

Yes...and then Al Riveron will overturn it.

• Haha (+1) 3

I think the feeling that's generating such support for the Dalton foundation is a rare breed.  It's a unique combination of a non-glamorous, salt-of-the-earth fan base, drought desperation and underdog mentality.  I could see similar phenomenon replicated by, say, Cleveland, but not by Giants, Jets, Pats* or most other NFL fans.

If you remember the days when the Jerry Lewis MD telethon was on, Buffalo was as city they telecast in. It was not a national broadcast.  If I am not mistaken we would out give the major cities out there.  I am not talking per capita but strait dollars. They knew then and we proved it again now.  

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s not a bad thing, but of this becomes a thing, will Bills fans get the credit for making it a thing? 

hell no....Seattle will trademark it and call it their own (12th man...cough cough)

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I didn't think about it like that...I certainly wasn't trying to discredit the magnitude of what fans have done this week.

I still think that it's a bit too dramatic. I think that most logical, reasonable people understand that this "culture" of Bills fans doing stupid stuff is really just a representation of the 1% minority of Bills fans, a direct result of social media+attention seeking+playoff drought, and that a guy falling from the upper deck or drowning outside the stadium are isolated incidents.

After all the donating is over with, Bills fans are still going to be out at tailgates acting a fool in front of a camera. Someone may eventually get too drunk and make the news (hopefully not). The generosity that people all over are seeing poor out of Buffalo is certainly far greater than any flaming table smash, and people will remember it. Maybe they do recognize Bills fans for starting that trend in 10-20 years, and they probably will, but I don't need a trophy for it.