Taylor's value in 2017 was mostly about 2 things, one being 3rd down

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We were 6th in the league in rushing largely because of Taylor... you realize that, right?

Take his rushing yards out alone and we drop to 25th.

Oh man... best post I've read so far this week! :thumbsup:

:doh:

If you take out Shady's yards, we were 32nd.

Edited by jmc12290

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

This is where people get discombobulated. 

The Taylorites want to use the argument in favor of their guy but not the other.   It's the EJ discussion all over again.  They will latch onto a single game and use it as their basis of fact.  Yet when we try to present that information to them, it rubs them wrong way and "tempers flare". 

We all have seen or discussed Taylor's games over the past 3 seasons.   He is exactly who he was in his scouting report.  

Nate sucked against the Chargers, EJ sucked against the Jags in London, but they  somehow forget the multiple  sub 50 QB ratings from TT.  

Forget?

What the F are you talking about?!?!

Shady, you're acting like multiple sub 50 passer rating games are uncommon for NFL QBs when, in fact, they aren't.

I only looked up Joe Flacco, Phillip Rivers, Andy Dalton, Eli Manning and Cam Newton and every single one of them had multiple sub 50 passer rating games.

Honestly Shady, is your disdain for Taylor seriously blinding you this much?

15 hours ago, Mango said:

This is not drilled down enough to really tell a story. 

What is our 3rd down conversation rate at 3rd and 5 or 6+, on clear passing downs?

Just my guess, but TT is not effective at converting 3rd and mid or longer comparatively to the rest of the league. The same as he isn't good with playing from behind. He does not excel in clear passing situations. 

Really bad guess on your part :doh:

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=047&type=Passing&year=2017

Taylor, in fact, was 12th in the NFL out of 37 tracked QBs in 3rd and 8+ yard passing conversions. Plus, he was 5/8 converting 3rd and 8+ yard passing plays with his legs on scrambles. If you were to factor those 3rd and 8+ yard scrambles in he was actually 8th %-wise converting 1st downs on those "clear passing situations."

Better than the top 25% ain't to shabby now, is it? 0:)

14 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Keep up with me Scott.

You said "yup" when I said asked if McDermott was satisfied with 1 TD per game.  

Then I posted a quote where McDermott specifically states there's legitimate concerns with scoring points.   

Your statement and McDermott's are conflicting.  Conflicting means it's a state of opposition.  

So which one is the truth Scott.  McDermott is satisfied with 1 TD per game or not.  

McDermott... keep up with me here... is satisfied with winning.

That's priority #1.

Unlike the nitpickers of yards and points, it seems pretty clear literally the only thing McDermott cares about is having more points than the other team when the clock strikes 0.

Yeah, I think he's damn happy with 7 points on the board if the other team had less.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That's priority #1.

Unlike the nitpickers of yards and points, it seems pretty clear literally the only thing McDermott cares about is having more points than the other team when the clock strikes 0.

Yeah, I think he's damn happy with 7 points on the board if the other team had less.

He literally said scoring points is a legitimate concern....word for word.  He wasn’t happy with scoring just 1 TD per game.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And you have a bad habit of doing the opposite.

Yes Taylor regressed a bit in the red zone, where he was fantastic in 2016, that was why I didn't include it in the OP, which was all about his 2 most valuable assets in 2017, not his 2 biggest detriments.

You get that, right? :flirt: 

But since you brought it up, I don't know total drives per team to the red zone, but if Charles Clay could catch and hold onto the damn ball (and/or Riveron weren't being paid under the table by the Pats) the Bills would have 2 more red zone TDs and one less interception an the team would jump up a handful of spots from 21st considering the difference between 21 and 10 is 52.27% to 57.69%.

I try and try to get you to be honest and step off the "Tylor is great" podium.    Someday you will.   

It's not between the 20's that count, but what happens in the RZ.  

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Not on 3rd downs :flirt: 

LOL   good on you transplant 

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Do you mean the "make him a QB" blueprint?

I don't understand how people still say this 44 games into Taylor's career as a Bill... and what... 29 games since we heard that from the Ravens and everyone thought... "welp!!! Now Taylor's not going to be able to play QB because every team will do THAT!!!"

Except they haven't. Why is that? 0:)

Funny thing I heard on WGR on the drive to work  (yes I can listen to it on blue moons before sunrise in northern Va) 

To beat the Jaguars.... Make Bortles a QB.  

Stop the run and force him to pass more than 30 times.    

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Forget?

What the F are you talking about?!?!

Shady, you're acting like multiple sub 50 passer rating games are uncommon for NFL QBs when, in fact, they aren't.

I only looked up Joe Flacco, Phillip Rivers, Andy Dalton, Eli Manning and Cam Newton and every single one of them had multiple sub 50 passer rating games.

Honestly Shady, is your disdain for Taylor seriously blinding you this much?

In one season within 3 games?  

Saints 33.6 

Patriots (before he was benched) 35.6 

I was actually being kind when I said sub 50.  I should have said sub 36 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He literally said scoring points is a legitimate concern....word for word.  He wasn’t happy with scoring just 1 TD per game.

lets reinforce the topic 

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/27/sean-mcdermott-rick-dennison-tyrod-taylor/

“Well, there [are] legitimate concerns in terms of being able to score points [and] finishing drives,” McDermott said Tuesday. “Against good opponents sooner or later that’s going to come back to get you.”

Mike RodakVerified account @mikerodak
FollowFollow @mikerodak
More

Sean McDermott says there are “legitimate concerns” with being able to score points and finish drives on offense. “Against good opponents, sooner or later that’s going to come back to get you,” added.

12:53 PM - 26 Dec 2017

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That's priority #1.

Too bad we couldn’t get those 7 points vs the Pats, Panthers, and Saints because Tyrod sucks at passing. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/3/2018 at 7:17 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Unavoidable SACKS and throw away's because someone won't pull the trigger.  

Make him a QB.  Stop the run and cover people.   

What

the

HELL

did this have to do with Maine-iac's comments about Shady's runs by quarter and half?!

Oy :doh:

On 1/3/2018 at 8:03 AM, Maine-iac said:

Really fantastic find here. :thumbsup:

PFR is really an invaluable resource. 

On 1/3/2018 at 8:52 AM, twoandfourteen said:

I pretty much say this.

Maybe not 100% his fault, but the overwhelming majority is. 

His limitations as a passer affects every other aspect of the offense. OC can't use a full play book and is forced into an ultra-conservative game plan because falling behind by two scores at any point is practically an automatic loss. You just don't have the ability to score quickly enough to come back. Forget the two-minute offense. The running game suffers, defense is forced to spend more time on the field, etc, etc, etc. 

Literally anyone after this season is over. 

Stupidity like this is annoying. :doh:

Still assuming this is the reincarnation of the perma-banned Crusher. Same posting style and maybe a little extra bravado now that he's granted some anonymity.

On 1/3/2018 at 8:58 AM, teef said:

i agree.  it shocks me that people want to build around tyrod in any way.  some have even called the staff foolish for not trying to play to his strengths.  i don't want taylor's strengths to be the showcase of anything, (other than his ability not to turn the ball over).

What an absolutely head scratching statement.

Taylor is your QB for at least one hopefully more games and you're saying that you would prefer that our OC doesn't alter his game planning and play calling to the strengths of his personnel rather than rigidly sticking to whatever his philosophical ideals are offensively?

We can go and draft a QB in the off-season. If you don't want Denison at this point adjusting to the strengths of his personnel in order to win some playoff games… well, that's just incredibly weird if you are a bills fan.

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Really fantastic find here. :thumbsup:

PFR is really an invaluable resource. 

Stupidity like this is annoying. :doh:

Still assuming this is the reincarnation of the perma-banned Crusher. Same posting style and maybe a little extra bravado now that he's granted some anonymity.

You keep saying this. 

I actually take offense to your accusation. I am far too clever to use a screen name like "Crusher". The bravado comes from being right. 

But back to my post. You say it's "stupid", yet you provide no argument or evidence to the contrary. I basically laid out a very logical argument for how a completely dysfunctional passing game can cause a spiral-down effect on other areas of the game, especially in a passing-based league. How is that wrong? 

I am, have been, and always will be a supporter of Tyrod Taylor.

He most certainly has his weaknesses....they are well documented.....but he also has his strengths and that is why every time we insert another qb (so far) for him they are not cutting the mustard......it is VERY hard to find "that guy"

Tyrod if nothing else is very consistant in what he gives you.......better IS needed if we want to take the next step....it is sad that TT has to go or be benched to make that happen because I have enjoyed rooting for him.

I still am not convinced that he is gone depending on how the draft and free agency play out......I am still convinced there is a very strong possiblity that the bills do NOT trade the farm to get up the top 3 qbs, still take a qb, and keep Tyrod at his very modest starting salary number for another year. 

If they do that I sincerely hope we put those picks to use on the lines and linebacker.....and a qb to groom

On 1/3/2018 at 9:33 AM, Bangarang said:

Mayfield is looking more and more like a really good consolation prize.

Agreed.

The little I watched or know of college football, he's actually the guy I want most.

On 1/3/2018 at 9:44 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Transplant.   I have been patiently waiting.    You made this post last night (EST) and I queried about the Red Zone production.  

Will you break this down for us?

Sorry, I read these threads chronologically. I literally just got to this post.

I'm pretty sure I responded to this already, at this point.

On 1/3/2018 at 9:59 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

QB has got to be the hardest position in all of sports to find a good one.  I wish somehow the NFL didn't have one position that carried so much weight but it is that way and it's our job to find that player.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

This is why Taylor his contract is so valuable right now. We can draft a guy in the first round, still keep Taylor and evaluate that new guy, who will (we assume) be an upgrade on Taylor. If worse comes to worse and all hell breaks loose with that kid, we still have a competent starter we could extend or Franchise, if absolutely necessary.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/3/2018 at 10:22 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

We had 16 passing TD's and 12 rushing TD's.

Only one defensive TD.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2017.htm

Hauschka hit 33 FG's.  

Three defensive TDs. One pick-six and two fumbles returned for TDs. Which is around tenth in the league for non-offensive scoring.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SCORING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2017&seasonType=REG

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is why Taylor his contract is so valuable right now. We can draft a guy in the first round, still keep Taylor and evaluate that new guy, who will (we assume) be an upgrade on Taylor. If worse comes to worse and all hell breaks loose with that kid, we still have a competent starter we could extend or Franchise, if absolutely necessary.

Franchise him? You're a hoot, Transplant. Franchise him??!!!  Classic.  I know you didn't mean it as a joke, but it is one. Says an awful lot more about how you see the world than it does about the world in reality.

Tyrod doesn't qualify as a franchise guy, and those are the ones who are valuable. Franchise guys and those who might become one, and Tyrod doesn't qualify there either. That's why his contract is not particularly valuable right now. Or ever. It won't be necessary to keep him much less franchise him.

The ones below franchise level are cheap, the Foleses and Cutlers and Fitzies and Tyrods. That's the group he belongs to.

I guess in one sense it can indeed be said that his contract is valuable. Valuable as in overpaid for production.

• Like (+1) 1