Schobel

Tcali

I really can't understand those of you who think Schobel(Mike Lodish Jr..OK--he's better than Mike) is a better than an average to good DE. When it really counts is there ever a BILL'S non-blitz rush that puts any pressure on a QB???

We need to address this issue.

This is not a top-notch defense that we have here inspite of all the stats.A top notch D can rush the QB sans a blitz....and in important situations.--Granted --it wasnt Schobels fault that we couldnt stop Pitts backups from running the ball down our throats...but come on--Just because we pile up great stats vs. Cleveland's semi-pro squad doesnt put us in the same league as Balti,Pitt,NE.

Having a real passrusher on this team would make this a dominating D.

And if he were on another team all the Statophobes and Draftgurus would be all over Donohoe to sign this pass rushing stud.

He is an above average defensive end in the Phil Hansen mode and that is how we are paying him.

Man, the grass is greener on the other side for some people here.

And if he were on another team all the Statophobes and Draftgurus would be all over Donohoe to sign this pass rushing stud.

He is an above average defensive end in the Phil Hansen mode and that is how we are paying him. 

267264[/snapback]

If there is no one better available I don't have a huge problem with us using him.Its just that I see the posters on here pretending that our DE isn't a problem position.-That Scobel is an excellent up and coming DE.To those--I say give me a break.

267264[/snapback]

Sounds like your in the minority, man. You can't accept mediocrity and too many people have from schobel. I hope he has a breakout year this year, and if not I'm willing to call him a bust and be ready to move on, looking for an upgrade.

Sounds like your in the minority, man. You can't accept mediocrity and too many people have from schobel. I hope he has a breakout year this year, and if not I'm willing to call him a bust and be ready to move on, looking for an upgrade.

267278[/snapback]

I stand by exactly what I said. The same people who are most eager to downplay the value of our existing players are usually the same people who are so hot for someone they have never seen play but read about on a website or a draft board.

And amazingly, I am not buying a 3 negative to 1 positive ratio as some sort of statistically significant sample of opinions on this board.

However, I do appreciate you calling me "man" rather than "dude".

Chike Okeafor just signed with Arizona and got a $25 million contract for 5 seasons. Last year he had 53 tackles, 8.5 sacks and three forced fumbles -- all career highs.

Reggie Hayward signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars last week and got a five-year, $25 million contract. Last year he had 43 tackles, 10.5 sacks and 1 forced fumbles.

Aside from Darren Howard, these two players were considered the best DEs available in free agency.

Compare this to Aaron Schobel whom we signed for five years and approximately $23 million, Schobel recorded 73 tackles last season 8.0 sacks and forced 5 fumbles this year.

Schobel's well worth the contract we're paying him, is he a top 5 DE in the NFL? No, but I'd definately you could fit him in the top 10-15. His biggest problem is he's following a franchise DE in Bruce Smith when the fact of the matter he is an above average player at his position. Here's a well write article entitled "Aaron Schobel is Worthy of His Contract"

267264[/snapback]

I agree. Not everyone can be Bruce Smith; I'll be happy with a Hansen style player anyday.

One of the other complaints you often here about him (as was made here) is that he piles up stats against poor teams or he had 3 sacks each in two games and rest of year he hardly did anything.

Well if you compare him to players with comparable stats, such as the ones listed above, I'd say there's a good chance that many other players have done similar things. A couple of good games and others were average.

Again I agree AS is a top 10 to top 15 DE and is being paid accordingly.

Some of you guys are hilarious. you think you know personnel and you don't. you think a DE's sack total defines him as a player. (If that were the case, why is richard seymore considered one of the best DEs in the game?)

Schobel was a great 2nd round pick, and has been a great player for the bills. He's VERSATILE. He's not a one trick pony like so many DEs in the league who put up 8-12 sacks per season but can't stack against the run to save their lives.

He has never missed a game, plays hurt and dinged, is smart, and has improved his play each and every year he has played. We extended him to a fair market deal for such a DE, and I'm glad we did it. He's better than a buttload of DEs out there with bigger contracts and less upside.

Some people here seem to think they know NFL pro personnel better than Tim Krumrie and Jerry Gray and the Toms Modrak and Donahoe. You don't, and either do I.

I stand by exactly what I said.  The same people who are most eager to downplay the value of our existing players are usually the same people who are so hot for someone they have never seen play but read about on a website or a draft board. 

And amazingly, I am not buying a 3 negative to 1 positive ratio as some sort of statistically significant sample of opinions on this board.

However, I do appreciate you calling me "man" rather than "dude".

267285[/snapback]

you're right. he's not spectacular, but he's solid, makes a decent number of plays, and STAYS HEALTHY!!! he also doesn't screw up, and is never a liability. he deserves what he gets.