Who are this year's top non-QB free agent targets?

To those who say this is too early, sorry I look at how to improve from all angles at all times.  

With the positions of need we have in mind, who do you think will be our top non-QB targets in free agency?  Last year Hyde and Poyer seemed to be the two top targets.  

In my opinion, this year's top non-QB targets will be:

LB Christian Jones, Chicago Bears 6'3" 245, 26 years old

-Jones came into the league as an undrafted free agent and surprised many by his production.  He's had 3 productive years in terms of tackling at 68, 86 and 84 so far this year.  In my opinion, he is in the wrong scheme with the Bears.  I think he could be the Thomas Davis type player that McDermott is looking for in his scheme.  He's a fast linebacker who can blitz and has had experience in coverage but his speed is his biggest attribute.  At 26 years old going into free agency, I think we could get him for a decent price and I think he'd be more productive here.  He's somewhat of an unknown guy but if you watch him play, he looks like a perfect fit for McDs scheme.  I think he should be our top free agent target on defense.  If they grab another LB in the draft, this linebacker core could be completely different and relieved of the slow linebackers that restrict the defense now.  

DT Shemar Stephens, Minnesota Vikings 6'5" 310, 26 years old

-Stephens has quietly had two solid seasons for Minnesota in the last two years recording 39 total tackles last year and 27 so far this year.  He could be a great guy in rotation.  He does a nice job closing up running lanes and allowing linebacker to get to the ball carrier.  He's not a big pass rushing option but he would help out the run defense.  Another unknown guy but he has come into his own and I think he'd take a medium size contract to bring in but could be another nice piece to reshape the defensive side of the ball.   

C/G Ryan Jensen, Baltimore 6'4" 319, 26 years old

-Jensen has been dominate this year.  He's one of the highest rated centers this year but this is the first year he's played this well.  He's a nasty player, reminds me a little of Incognito and at a young age, who better to put him next to if Richie is here next year to learn from.  He has played center but can play guard as well if Eric Wood stays.  Jensen has been a huge reason for the success that the unknown Baltimore running backs have had this season.  He does a great job of getting to the second level.  He will likely see a big contract for his play this year but we need to patch up the holes on this offensive line for whoever the QB is next year if we want to be a competitive team in the playoffs.  

These are young guys that have had experience and I think are perfect fits for this team and are looking to get better as they go into the prime of their careers.  There are many other players out there, I'd love to hear what others think.  

Edited by Buffalo30

Good list.  I would add Andrew Norwell from the Panthers as a top guard prospect.  He's 6'6" and 325 lbs and he's got got a nasty streak.  Has been a top performer on that line.

It seems like O-Line is a crap shoot in the draft so getting a proven guy is a top priority.  

18 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

Good list.  I would add Andrew Norwell from the Panthers as a top guard prospect.  He's 6'6" and 325 lbs and he's got got a nasty streak.  Has been a top performer on that line.

It seems like O-Line is a crap shoot in the draft so getting a proven guy is a top priority.  

I agree.  When you have a solid offensive line, it makes everything better.  Hope they keep investing in it.

40 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

To those who say this is too early, sorry I look at how to improve from all angles at all times.  

With the positions of need we have in mind, who do you think will be our top non-QB targets in free agency?  Last year Hyde and Poyer seemed to be the two top targets.  

In my opinion, this year's top non-QB targets will be:

LB Christian Jones, Chicago Bears 6'3" 245, 26 years old

-Jones came into the league as an undrafted free agent and surprised many by his production.  He's had 3 productive years in terms of tackling at 68, 86 and 84 so far this year.  In my opinion, he is in the wrong scheme with the Bears.  I think he could be the Thomas Davis type player that McDermott is looking for in his scheme.  He's a fast linebacker who can blitz and has had experience in coverage but his speed is his biggest attribute.  At 26 years old going into free agency, I think we could get him for a decent price and I think he'd be more productive here.  He's somewhat of an unknown guy but if you watch him play, he looks like a perfect fit for McDs scheme.  I think he should be our top free agent target on defense.  If they grab another LB in the draft, this linebacker core could be completely different and relieved of the slow linebackers that restrict the defense now.  

DT Shemar Stephens, Minnesota Vikings 6'5" 310, 26 years old

-Stephens has quietly had two solid seasons for Minnesota in the last two years recording 39 total tackles last year and 27 so far this year.  He could be a great guy in rotation.  He does a nice job closing up running lanes and allowing linebacker to get to the ball carrier.  He's not a big pass rushing option but he would help out the run defense.  Another unknown guy but he has come into his own and I think he'd take a medium size contract to bring in but could be another nice piece to reshape the defensive side of the ball.   

C/G Ryan Jensen, Baltimore 6'4" 319, 26 years old

-Jensen has been dominate this year.  He's one of the highest rated centers this year but this is the first year he's played this well.  He's a nasty player, reminds me a little of Incognito and at a young age, who better to put him next to if Richie is here next year to learn from.  He has played center but can play guard as well if Eric Wood stays.  Jensen has been a huge reason for the success that the unknown Baltimore running backs have had this season.  He does a great job of getting to the second level.  He will likely see a big contract for his play this year but we need to patch up the holes on this offensive line for whoever the QB is next year if we want to be a competitive team in the playoffs.  

These are young guys that have had experience and I think are perfect fits for this team and are looking to get better as they go into the prime of their careers.  There are many other players out there, I'd love to hear what others think.  

thanks.  Never too early to talk about this stuff on a football board!!  Apprecaite the insight into these guys.  I have no idea who most of them are, but they sound like solid additions.  

22 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

...same with Star from Carolina.......

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I would be happy with DJ Fluker and Dontari Poe.

I think they want to draft LB. Just a hunch.

Christian Jones would simply replace Lorenzo Alexander and they'd still be able to draft a LB to replace Brown who is a FA this year.  To me, Fluker has been a bust and is average at best at guard.  Don't like him.  I'd love Poe but I don't think that is realistic in my opinion.  We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...same with Star from Carolina.......

I just thought Stephens would be a cheaper option which they might consider especially since they are in a rotation and they will likely draft one as well.  I wouldn't be upset with Star at all though.  Certainly another option

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I would also add: 

WR: 

Devante Adams (Packers) or

Allen Robinson (Jacksonville.  JAX has M. Lee as a FA also.  Unlikely they keep both given they also have DeDe Westbrook.  

Receiver will be very difficult in free agency with the QB position being an unknown at this point.  Wouldn't be a smart career move to go to Buffalo for a wide out

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

Christian Jones would simply replace Lorenzo Alexander and they'd still be able to draft a LB to replace Brown who is a FA this year.  To me, Fluker has been a bust and is average at best at guard.  Don't like him.  I'd love Poe but I don't think that is realistic in my opinion.  We shall see.

Gotcha. Just FYI, the Giants run game doubled in YPG when Fluker was inserted into their starting lineup, up to 110 a game from 57. Make of that what you will. 

CB- TJ Carrie- Oakland

underrated in my opinion. Has played on the outside, in the slot, free safety and strong safety. I could see him being an under the radar signing. Similar to a Hyde/Poyer but even more low key. Could add some nice depth behind White/Gaines and battle for the #3 spot.

Vontae Davis as well. Older guy but was cut by the Colts due to injury issues, could see him being a guy brought in to add some cheaper depth as well.

If I’m the Bills, Lotulelei is my number one target. He can be the nose tackle we need in there. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I just thought Stephens would be a cheaper option which they might consider especially since they are in a rotation and they will likely draft one as well.  I wouldn't be upset with Star at all though.  Certainly another option

Receiver will be very difficult in free agency with the QB position being an unknown at this point.  Wouldn't be a smart career move to go to Buffalo for a wide out

....somebody here mentioned DT Rubin from Falcons....yes?...no?..maybe?..........

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Gotcha. Just FYI, the Giants run game doubled in YPG when Fluker was inserted into their starting lineup, up to 110 a game from 57. Make of that what you will. 

Very true.  I missed where he got hurt.  Could be an interesting addition but I think this regime likes mobile guys.  Also, not sure if I want a guy that finished his year on the IR for the last 5 games.  We already have that in Glenn

9 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

CB- TJ Carrie- Oakland

underrated in my opinion. Has played on the outside, in the slot, free safety and strong safety. I could see him being an under the radar signing. Similar to a Hyde/Poyer but even more low key. Could add some nice depth behind White/Gaines and battle for the #3 spot.

Vontae Davis as well. Older guy but was cut by the Colts due to injury issues, could see him being a guy brought in to add some cheaper depth as well.

If I’m the Bills, Lotulelei is my number one target. He can be the nose tackle we need in there. 

No to Davis in my opinion.  Carrie is intriguing to me.  I think you are right, he could be someone they will be looking at due to his versatility

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....somebody here mentioned DT Rubin from Falcons....yes?...no?..maybe?..........

Veteran guy, could be solid but his production has dipped hard with only 12 tackles this year

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Paul Richardson

Andrew Norwell

Star Lotulelei 

That is a decent start to me. I think that is 3 starters (and I assume that they re-sign Gaines). 

I said to a previous poster that I think we will have a very difficult time getting any free agent WR to come here with the QB position up in the air.  It wouldn't be a good career move by them

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Veteran guy, could be solid but his production has dipped hard with only 12 tackles this year

I said to a previous poster that I think we will have a very difficult time getting any free agent WR to come here with the QB position up in the air.  It wouldn't be a good career move by them

They get one chance in FA typically. They are going to go where there is the best fit of $ and opportunity. The Bills have a starting spot available and apparently had an interest in Richardson. This feels like a great fit for him IMO.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Paul Richardson

Andrew Norwell

Star Lotulelei 

That is a decent start to me. I think that is 3 starters (and I assume that they re-sign Gaines). 

Sidenote, but when you think about it, the fact that the Seahawks' 3 WRs were all original draft picks (Richardson and Lockett) or UDFA (Baldwin) is pretty amazing. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They get one chance in FA typically. They are going to go where there is the best fit of $ and opportunity. The Bills have a starting spot available and apparently had an interest in Richardson. This feels like a great fit for him IMO.

Could be but we don't value wide receivers a lot right now.  We'd have to overpay the guy.  Will be interesting but I don't feel comfortable with overpaying for a wide out when we haven't used them much.  

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Sidenote, but when you think about it, the fact that the Seahawks' 3 WRs were all original draft picks (Richardson and Lockett) or UDFA (Baldwin) is pretty amazing. 

It really is. Baldwin went from a guy that used to get trashed by Cris Carter to a star. They had Kearse too and he’s had a decent year for the Jets.