Why I think Shady stays

Buffalo716

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You're right. 30 year old rbs are much more valuable in today's NFL than 24 year old WRs.

Shady is awesome but he is on the downside of his career and rbs are a lot easier to replace than WRs, see the 2017 Bills receiving core.

The production and durability simply aren’t there with Sammy. Especially when you consider what WRs are now starting to get paid for average production. 

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

The production and durability simply aren’t there with Sammy. Especially when you consider what WRs are now starting to get paid for average production. 

I'm not arguing about Shady. He is our best player and a borderline HOFer. He is great and it was a great move to acquire him.

but you have to be realistic. Rbs fall off a cliff at 30.  Also, what does having a great rbs really get you?  We have been one of the best rushing teams in the NFL  for the last 3 years. We maxed out at 8 wins.

despite what Bills pretend, Watkins has a major impact on defensive game plans.  He is an elite deep threat that opens up everything else for the rest of the team.  Gurley was terrible last year (had him on every fantasy team :( ).  If you are being honest, Sammy creates less people in the box and makes his life easier.  If you honestly believe Goff is the same player with Woods and Kupp as his top 2 WRs, it would just be wrong.

i won't want to trade Shady but it made more sense than getting rid of Sammy. It's my opinion that we are a more dangerous team with Sammy and say guys like Alex Collins or Rex Burkhead than Shady and Matthews.  Of course, we could have kept both Shady and Sammy and been really dangerous.

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I'm not arguing about Shady. He is our best player and a borderline HOFer. He is great and it was a great move to acquire him.

but you have to be realistic. Rbs fall off a cliff at 30.  Also, what does having a great rbs really get you?  We have been one of the best rushing teams in the NFL  for the last 3 years. We maxed out at 8 wins.

despite what Bills pretend, Watkins has a major impact on defensive game plans.  He is an elite deep threat that opens up everything else for the rest of the team.  Gurley was terrible last year (had him on every fantasy team :( ).  If you are being honest, Sammy creates less people in the box and makes his life easier.  If you honestly believe Goff is the same player with Woods and Kupp as his top 2 WRs, it would just be wrong.

i won't want to trade Shady but it made more sense than getting rid of Sammy. It's my opinion that we are a more dangerous team with Sammy and say guys like Alex Collins or Rex Burkhead than Shady and Matthews.  Of course, we could have kept both Shady and Sammy and been really dangerous.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  If Sammy had been a more productive and healthy WR, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.  But even with a far better QB in Goff, he's still not putting up the numbers he should be.

I truly doubt he's back....also, the last Rookie QB and RB combination did fairly well....see Prescott and Zeke. It's more about the Offensive line, IMHO...

I don't think he's worth the money at this point, the same money can be spent on LB or DL or if there's one available, OL...put his money and Tyrod's and maybe Kyle's toward some good FAs that can help the team for the future as well as now. Also, Hughes won't be here...it's a total overhaul that is essentially finished that was started last year. 

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

I truly doubt he's back....also, the last Rookie QB and RB combination did fairly well....see Prescott and Zeke. It's more about the Offensive line, IMHO...

I don't think he's worth the money at this point, the same money can be spent on LB or DL or if there's one available, OL...put his money and Tyrod's and maybe Kyle's toward some good FAs that can help the team for the future as well as now. Also, Hughes won't be here...it's a total overhaul that is essentially finished that was started last year. 

Zeke was the best CFB running back I have ever seen at pass blocking. NFL ready was an understatement.

Putting a rookie RB in charge of protecting a rookie QB is dangerous. 

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Zeke was the best CFB running back I have ever seen at pass blocking. NFL ready was an understatement.

Putting a rookie RB in charge of protecting a rookie QB is dangerous. 

But why would you need to put the Rookie RB in on obvious passing downs? Even if the Bills don't re-sign / keep Cadet, there will be vet RBs available for 3rd down pass protection, should they feel they need it...

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

But why would you need to put the Rookie RB in on obvious passing downs? Even if the Bills don't re-sign / keep Cadet, there will be vet RBs available for 3rd down pass protection, should they feel they need it...

Yeah that works fine if they don't ever plan on evolving from this out dated offensive approach. Run until you have to pass!!! 

Yikes.

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Yeah that works fine if they don't ever plan on evolving from this out dated offensive approach. Run until you have to pass!!! 

Yikes.

Again, I don't really see your point....if you're saying that you have to have 1 RB in every situation, there just aren't many (in fact very few) teams who do that...if you're talking about utilizing your feature back, I still don't get the problem with using a good Rookie. Say, like Kamara? 

The Rookie RB will do well in the Offense if he has vision, speed, and can break tackles and the Offensive line can block for him....where's the problem. I don't think Shady is worth the money when a good RB, ala a 2nd round pick, can do a good job for much less, meanwhile that same money can go to solving the RT issue or DL issue or the CB issue, and on and on it goes....

Just now, BigBuff423 said:

Again, I don't really see your point....if you're saying that you have to have 1 RB in every situation, there just aren't many (in fact very few) teams who do that...if you're talking about utilizing your feature back, I still don't get the problem with using a good Rookie. Say, like Kamara? 

The Rookie RB will do well in the Offense if he has vision, speed, and can break tackles and the Offensive line can block for him....where's the problem. I don't think Shady is worth the money when a good RB, ala a 2nd round pick, can do a good job for much less, meanwhile that same money can go to solving the RT issue or DL issue or the CB issue, and on and on it goes....

Sure if you want to spend a top 60 pick on a RB you could get someone well rounded. I'm fine with moving on from Shady but I'd look at a veteran RB to put beside the rookie QB for his first year. 

I want my rookie QB playing and I don't want an inexperienced RB out there getting him killed early on. 

With a guy like Kamara who played in pass protection for less than 25% of his snaps at UT you need a compliment like Ingram. 

The Bills would be fine with Cadet and a more accomplished every down back. From looking at the pending FAs they will probably have to spend a mid round pick on a RB if they do move on from Shady. 

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Sure if you want to spend a top 60 pick on a RB you could get someone well rounded. I'm fine with moving on from Shady but I'd look at a veteran RB to put beside the rookie QB for his first year. 

I want my rookie QB playing and I don't want an inexperienced RB out there getting him killed early on. 

With a guy like Kamara who played in pass protection for less than 25% of his snaps at UT you need a compliment like Ingram. 

The Bills would be fine with Cadet and a more accomplished every down back. From looking at the pending FAs they will probably have to spend a mid round pick on a RB if they do move on from Shady. 

Which to me, makes the most sense....spend the FA where you can't get the Draft pick, they'll have it especially presuming Tyrod isn't coming back and Shady were to go, the money will be there. Not to mention, plenty of good RBs in 3rd / 4th round if they don't want to spend a 1st or 2nd on one. But, a good, young RB should be a priority somewhere in their plans.