The National Narrative on Tyrod Taylor Debunked Today

BuffaloRush

First off, let me say that I like Tyrod Taylor.  I think he's an incredible athlete and his worth-ethic sounds like it's top notch.  More importantly, he appears to be a great leader that has tremendous integrity.  I wanted to things to work out for Tyrod this season more than anyone but, today's game showed you why he's not the right quarterback for the Bills.  At least, not with the current coaching staff in place.

What bothers me is the national narrative spun by many NFL writers who, more than likely, pay sparingly attention to the Buffalo Bills.  Guys like John Clayton, Cian Farley, and Bill Barnwell were up in arms that McDermott benched Taylor for Peterman.  It's clear it was not the right move, as Peterman was for from ready to start in the NFL.  In hindsight, it was the wrong decision.  That should definitely give Bills fans a cause for concern with McDermott and Dennison's decision making especially.  Still, the national reports made it sound like it was an absolutely idiotic decision by McDermott before the San Diego game.  Barnwell, speaking with much hubris, spoke down to Bills fans about why the move was absurd.   Not sure who, but I know one of the national writers placed the race when discussing the situation and I found that to be unfair.  

However, play like today is exactly the reason why that decision was made.  Today's game played out much like the outings versus Carolina and Cincy.  The defense holds a high-powered offense like New England to 23 points and the Bills can manage only 3 points.  Maybe he was injured and his knee was a heavy factor, but Tyrod really hurt the offense today.   He was ineffective and when you watch his throws, he took very few shots downfield and settled for short passes.  The Bills fell behind by almost two touchdowns and you automatically knew it was over.   

Maybe if you design the offense around Taylor's skillset, it's a different story.  But today's game showed exactly why Tyrod Taylor is not good enough as QB. 

Also after the Barnwell's and the Farley's devote so much time defending Tyrod, they were radio silent after his performance today.  Gee I wonder why???

• Like (+1) 3

They were all right!! The Bills were in a playoff  spot and ran a guy out that got picked 5 times in a half!! He is the only QB since the merger to do that. It was an idiotic decision!! That isn’t even up for debate.

FWIW, Peterman was 6-15 with a dropped INT. It isn’t exactly like we are playing Tyrod to kee Mahomes on the bench. He is keeping a guy whose ceiling is Brian Hoyer in the sidelines.

They will get their guy this offseason and hopefully it works.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe you didn't read what I said.  I said it was the wrong decision and the Bills fans should be concerned over decisions today.

That doesn't take away the fact that Tyrod cost the Bills the game today.  I said, their narrative they were spinning was incorrect and interesting enough, neither one commented on how Tyrod held back the team today 

Honestly any fault for the QB switch failure is that they went with an inexperienced 5th round backup as the only other guy on the roster that is solely a QB.

If they weren't sold on Tyrod there is no good reason that there wasn't a more experienced guy found. Make a trade, bring in the McGloins of the world...something ANYTHING to cover that position.

Or, you know actually use the guy the way they hinted he would be used. Moving pockets. More called QB runs. Sorry but that play action left roll right play isn't fooling anyone anymore. Most times when Taylor turns around a guy is right there to blow it up. Get creative. Taylor is a very average QB, but an excellent athlete. Don't keep him in a pocket.

Lastly, I'm sure we will see Peterman next week. Against the Colts defenseless defense he's going to make plays. The absolute worst case at this point is for him to do just enough to give McBean false hope he can be "their guy" and we pass on upgrading the position.

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They were all right!! The Bills were in a playoff  spot and ran a guy out that got picked 5 times in a half!! He is the only QB since the merger to do that. It was an idiotic decision!! That isn’t even up for debate.

FWIW, Peterman was 6-15 with a dropped INT. It isn’t exactly like we are playing Tyrod to kee Mahomes on the bench. He is keeping a guy whose ceiling is Brian Hoyer in the sidelines.

And Tyrod still blows. Even if this team squeaked in at 9-7, what does it really matter? The foundation isn’t there 

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Honestly any fault for the QB switch failure is that they went with an inexperienced 5th round backup as the only other guy on the roster that is solely a QB.

If they weren't sold on Tyrod there is no good reason that there wasn't a more experienced guy found. Make a trade, bring in the McGloins of the world...something ANYTHING to cover that position.

Or, you know actually use the guy the way they hinted he would be used. Moving pockets. More called QB runs. Sorry but that play action left roll right play isn't fooling anyone anymore. Most times when Taylor turns around a guy is right there to blow it up. Get creative. Taylor is a very average QB, but an excellent athlete. Don't keep him in a pocket.

Lastly, I'm sure we will see Peterman next week. Against the Colts defenseless defense he's going to make plays. The absolute worst case at this point is for him to do just enough to give McBean false hope he can be "their guy" and we pass on upgrading the position.

Agreed...that's why I hope that Dennison is out at the end of the year.  If the Bills draft a QB, for right or wrong, McDermott and Beane will ride or die with that player and the coaching staff they put around him.   If they draft an EJ Manuel, they'll both be gone in 3 or 4 years like Doug Whaley.  Do you really trust Dennison? 

The Patriots created the blueprint on how to make Taylor look terrible and the other teams adopted it.  Tehy've been doing this since the first game he started against them. I remember when we watched that first half and the Bills had something like 35 yards of total offense we were like "WTF is going on here??".

After 3 years we've come to the realization that this is what Taylor is...he will look clueless against teams that can keep him in the pocket, force him to throw into tight windows(because he won't), and take away his ability to play "backyard football" where he scrambles and then players get open once he is on the move.

Another game with 60 yards passing going into the 4th quarter...the 3rd one this year with under 100 yards passing...that is completely unacceptable for a QB in 2017...maybe in 1967 that would have been OK, but not in 2017

2 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

You mean the inexperienced 5th round rookie who everyone agreed was the most NFL ready QB in the draft?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

The Patriots created the blueprint on how to make Taylor look terrible and the other teams adopted it.  Tehy've been doing this since the first game he started against them. I remember when we watched that first half and the Bills had something like 35 yards of total offense we were like "WTF is going on here??".

After 3 years we've come to the realization that this is what Taylor is...he will look clueless against teams that can keep him in the pocket, force him to throw into tight windows(because he won't), and take away his ability to play "backyard football" where he scrambles and then players get open once he is on the move.

Another game with 60 yards passing going into the 4th quarter...the 3rd one this year with under 100 yards passing...that is completely unacceptable for a QB in 2017...maybe in 1967 that would have been OK, but not in 2017

You mean the inexperienced 5th round rookie who everyone agreed was the most NFL ready QB in the draft?

Right - this is what the national guys IMO are missing.  As Bills fans, we've seen this too many times with Tyrod

Just now, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

And Tyrod still blows. Even if this team squeaked in at 9-7, what does it really matter? The foundation isn’t there 

I was responding to the initial post that the national media was off base for questioning the move - they weren’t. The Bills were in the playoffs, with a winnable game, and basically sacrificed it. No one was out of line to think that it was idiotic. It was. It may not matter in the long run. In fact that extra loss may benefit the Bills this offseason. 

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yea...NFL ready. Full of potential. Remember though potential just means you haven't don't anything yet. Remember when people thought Brady Quinn was NFL ready?

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was responding to the initial post that the national media was off base for questioning the move - they weren’t. The Bills were in the playoffs, with a winnable game, and basically sacrificed it. No one was out of line to think that it was idiotic. It was. It may not matter in the long run. In fact that extra loss may benefit the Bills this offseason. 

You have a QB that struggles to throw for 100 yards.  I don't blame them for considering a change - though it was the wrong call.    For that, I think the national pundits are wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yea...NFL ready. Full of potential. Remember though potential just means you haven't don't anything yet. Remember when people thought Brady Quinn was NFL ready?

I guess we will see if Taylor is out for any length of time...not that it matters we have different issues depending on who is starting...

with Taylor he won't throw the ball and with Peterman he gets the ball out quick so if he misdiagnoses the defense, they have an easy INT(which is more likely due to inexperience), the WR's get no seperation so he is always throwing into tight windows and then the WRs drop the ball way too often...

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

10-15 without the dropped passes

Peterman made mistakes and we'll see if he learned from those mistakes. 

If he does, losing an away game to a team that has been on a roll anyway will be thought of as a pretty cheap lesson.

Taylor has been a different matter.  He has never learned from his mistakes and is too timid to even take a chance. 

He has cost the franchise 3 years and his steady ineptitude has made him a very expensive quarterback.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I guess we will see if Taylor is out for any length of time...not that it matters we have different issues depending on who is starting...

with Taylor he won't throw the ball and with Peterman he gets the ball out quick so if he misdiagnoses the defense, they have an easy INT(which is more likely due to inexperience), the WR's get no seperation so he is always throwing into tight windows and then the WRs drop the ball way too often...

I think another issue with some of the drops is that Peterman seems to throw lasers. Different velocity. The LA game he seemed to come out and have a nice rythem on his first few passes before throwing a rocket to DiMarco that glanced off his hand for the first pick. The mix in Benjamin getting hurt, the second pick and he was shot for the day.

Hopefully he learned. I think if he can get rolling against a bad defense and give him confidence it will help.

I think another issue with some of the drops is that Peterman seems to throw lasers. Different velocity. The LA game he seemed to come out and have a nice rythem on his first few passes before throwing a rocket to DiMarco that glanced off his hand for the first pick. The mix in Benjamin getting hurt, the second pick and he was shot for the day.

Hopefully he learned. I think if he can get rolling against a bad defense and give him confidence it will help.

Well, he has the perfect game coming up to see...a bad 3-9 Colts team at home next week...

It was the right move to start Peterman 2 weeks ago.  The wheels came off like no one could see coming after that tipped pick-6 - I'm not going to judge Peterman by this game.  I like what I saw from Peterman today and I'd like to see him continue to run the offense.  This is a strong-minded and resilient guy to come out and perform as well as he did today after that 1st half debacle against the Chargers - I give the guy credit - would have been nice if he scored, of course.  His receivers continue to not help with flat-out drops - not saying every throw was on target, but overall, Peterman's ball placement is excellent.  There was a lot of good things in this game - things this team can and will get stronger from.

• Like (+1) 2